• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watch my slab collection grow from scratch to BIG $$$ scratch!

292 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Bird said:

Early in the year I challenged my daughter ( a freshman at Pratt Art Institute) to make me a Christmas present in the style of Moebius. I tweeted Moebius art all year long and today she gave me this...

DR6F2VyW0AAd-AM.jpg

She says that it is John Carter on Mars.

It's an awesome present - although Carter technically speaking isn't alone, he is the only Eartman on Mars. The piece really catches his isolation - and the beauty of the (Moebius-style) landscape. 

Edited by Rune

On 12/26/2017 at 5:46 AM, Rune said:

It's an awesome present - although Carter technically speaking isn't alone, he is the only Eartman on Mars. The piece really catches his isolation - and the beauty of the (Moebius-style) landscape. 

It is upon his arrival on Barsoom (that is what I thought upon seeing it and exactly what she said when I told her about your comment)!

I actually read this book around the time the movie came out...it was good but not great. We saw the movie together and all loved it and now use that as an example of why we should not listen to critics (the movie was supposedly killed by the new Disney regime over internal politics at the studio). I assume she picked the subject due to that good memory. :luhv:

On 28/12/2017 at 11:28 PM, Bird said:

It is upon his arrival on Barsoom (that is what I thought upon seeing it and exactly what she said when I told her about your comment)!

I actually read this book around the time the movie came out...it was good but not great. We saw the movie together and all loved it and now use that as an example of why we should not listen to critics (the movie was supposedly killed by the new Disney regime over internal politics at the studio). I assume she picked the subject due to that good memory. :luhv:

I loved the movie too and have it on blu-ray 3D, maybe I should soon watch it with my 9-year-old son. The trailer's as awesome as ever :cloud9:

Okay, spring is here so you have to read this annual post. I am a wonderful person, blah blah blah, yes I get it but please consider joining me in this endeavor!

I have enjoyed vegetable gardening tremendously the last few years and I now plant extra plants and donate all that they yield to the local food pantry, FISH Inc of Dunellen NJ.

I have a twitter account for my alter ego...NJVeggieMan! So if you live in NJ and garden I can even pick up veggies. Feel free to contact me through twitter at @njveggieman or for a little more information you can go to http://bgwdesigns.com/vegetable-donation/ .

The garden is big now. I have some garlic in there from last fall and added one row of peas last weekend. 2 more rows of peas are coming, probably this weekend. There are times that I think "those fuggin' poor people better appreciate this!" and I definitely do not want to finish weeding this damn thing this week. But I encourage you to try this if you garden...add one or two plants and dedicate their yield to the poor. Your local house of worship can likely point you in the right direction if you do not know where to donate.

I flip comics for fun and profit. And it is a lot of fun. And it can be veddy veddy profitable. So I will end this year's plea with a favorite scene from a vastly under-rated film, my feelings about selling comics and this garden are summarized in the first sentence somewhat

Take care and be well!

I have some nice books coming in this week. MSH 12, MSH 13, and some other groovy comics!

But this has become as much about my garden as anything, so once again I ask that anyone who grows vegetables consider planting ONE extra plant and donating what it produces to a local food bank. I went this morning to the local food bank in the corner of a church basement (there is one in your town, believe me) with massively overgrown zucchini (for bread at that point), a bunch of sweet looking eggplant and some peppers and there were people there 45 minutes before opening, including little children running around. It is humbling and you can feel great about yourself with such little effort that I really am addicted to that feeling. Like effin' Bill Murray at the end of Scrooged! YOU CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN! YOU CAN MAKE THE DREAM COME TRUE BUT YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IN IT!

Here is today's donation, although I took some eggplant out for myself. Actually for my daughter as I don't eat zucchini or eggplant! And yes I know the zucchini are way too large but I was away and they are still good for bread. And the hungry people eat it anyway they can get it from what I can see. Yes the red pepper has a rotten spot but the pepper is strong and 5/6ths of a pepper is still more than 0/6ths!

DjIEgZlU8AYjsM9.jpg

Yes I am laying it on a little thick, but in the three years I have been doing this I have generated exactly zero pieces of produce from other people so I am hoping to inspire someone to do something instead of telling me what a wonderful idea it is. (I did have a new co-worker promise to pass along veggies when I made my annual plea at the department meeting a few months back so that may work out.) I know that it is a wonderful idea because as soon as I had it I realized that it was a wonderful idea. That I could be a little bit more of a better person, more of who I think I should be, more of who the young Sean thought that he would be than the actual Sean has become (try and find me using my own name here on the boards and get a no-prize! That shows how strongly I am pleading with you to follow this model and how much spreading this idea means to me.) And that in doing so, doing it selfishly to feel better about who I am in this universe we all share, that people right in my neighborhood could have their lives ever so slightly enriched. By a few stupid hot peppers they wouldn't normally buy because money spent has more pressing priorities. I will do it whatever reaction I get, but it is so nice to hear them talk amongst themselves about what they see me donating. Even the woman who put in an order for tomatoes this morning, cheeky hungry woman that she was. Well, I would have preferred that she and the one who suggested I not go on vacation during the growing season so that the zucchini would be more palatable would have chosen their words more carefully but it happens. They meant well and I was cranky banky early in the morning after being reacquianted with the NJ mosquitoes as I picked their darn donation so it could be fresh and not wait until Monday! :sumo:

Edited by Bird

On the truck and out for delivery!

Line Item # Title Issue Issue Date Publisher Country Variant Pedigree Category Grader Notes Grade Page Quality Grade Text Art Comments Key Comments
001 Hero For Hire 1 6/72 Marvel Comics       Universal Grader Notes 6.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE   Archie Goodwin story
George Tuska & Billy Graham art
John Romita & George Tuska cover
Origin & 1st appearance of Luke Cage.
1st appearance of Diamondback
(Willis Stryker).
002 X-Men 14 11/65 Marvel Comics       Universal Grader Notes 7.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE   Stan Lee story
Werner Roth & Vince Colletta art
Jack Kirby cover & layouts
1st appearance of the Sentinels.
003 Marvel Super-Heroes 12 12/67 Marvel Comics       Universal Grader Notes 5.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE   Stan Lee story
Gene Colan & Frank Giacoia
cover & art
Origin & 1st appearance of
Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell).
1st appearance of Yon-Rogg & Una.
004 Marvel Super-Heroes 13 3/68 Marvel Comics       Universal Grader Notes 4.0 OFF-WHITE   Roy Thomas story
Gene Colan & Paul Reinman art
Gene Colan & Frank Giacoia cover
1st appearance of Carol Danvers.
2nd appearance of Captain Marvel.
Letter from Dave Cockrum.

Again it strikes me that as good as I got it with this collection that so much condition was lost over the years due to the way the OO stored them. I liked the look of the X-Men 14 among the first 20 issues of that title so I sent it in to see what the top tier might be in that batch. Nice green arrows on gpa for these and they will all be set aside in the hold box for now.

I also have 20 on display around the room. Moebius, Simonson SS, Seth Fisher, Cerebus, Sienkiewicz, Crumb, BWS, FM, Dave Stevens, Jaime Doom Patrol.

• Administrator

This is the original view of this journal on the Chat Boards. This view is locked, so members can no longer reply here.

This journal is also posted in the new Journals section, which is unlocked. Click the link below to see any other comments about this journal and post new replies.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/blogs/entry/4799-watch-my-slab-collection-grow-from-scratch-to-big-scratch/

• Administrator

You can also click "My Journal" in the main menu to quickly find your own journal, journal entries, and replies.

07 My Journal CGC.png

And you can search all journals by using the search tool.

08 Search Journals CGC.png

• Administrator

You can find journal entries by a specific author by using the search tool and visiting their profile, and you can follow members to get notifications when they post new content.

09 Members Journals CGC.png