• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watch my slab collection grow from scratch to BIG $$$ scratch!

292 posts in this topic

CEkpoKDUkAAqRU8.jpg

Signature Series onsite for pickup tomorrow!

I also dropped off 7 more books, and then bought a SS4 and submitted it and then a Conan 3 and submitted it!

I love onsite!

Is that an original Zeck sketch? Very cool!!!

Yes, it is on the blank for the new secret wars! I thought of it Wednesday when the book came out and Thursday he agreed to draw it! It is slabbed and ready for pickup tomorrow!

CEqrGENUIAAQrGh.jpg

It's always nice to meet another Conan Barry Smith collector :hi:

Took me 8 years to complete my run

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=9292

Ok, I'm still running, but less than I used to lol

Long ago I have decided against buying apparant ultra-high-grade raw books and submitting them to CGC, I believe chances of getting the 9.8 wp books I want are extremely low.

CEr-lkYUUAA_pYV.jpg

The comics will likely change but I wanted to put something in my new display space. I will put another row up under this one fairly flush where they meet.

Edited by Bird

Okay, here is the second row finished. These books are really mostly placeholders until my first 2 submissions come back from Florida.

CFduEgKUIAA9_HY.jpg

Great books (thumbs u

I'm used to keep my books in the dark, so just putting that FF #257 out in daylight, and even see it get hit by a small amount of sunlight this morning, it was sooo hard to watch :ohnoez:

Guess I'm ready for some treatment :idea::facepalm:

yeah, this is a basement with the windows at ground level. I have shades and the slabs are displayed under the television in a recessed area....but I still fret about the small amount of light. I never seem to get a straight answer about the protection these slabs actually provide.

yeah, this is a basement with the windows at ground level. I have shades and the slabs are displayed under the television in a recessed area....but I still fret about the small amount of light. I never seem to get a straight answer about the protection these slabs actually provide.

I do not think the slabs provide much protection - even expensive UV protection may not help that much:

"According to the National Fenestration Rating Council, only 40% of artwork fading is caused by UV radiation.[24] The remaining damage comes from the visible light, heat, humidity and material chemistry"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_framing_glass

Still putting the books in Mylar D may give you the best possible protection you can get (and trying to reduce fluctuations in humidity and temperature, goes for the art too) if you want to expose books to daylight:

Is Light Bad for our Comics?

Enough cannot be said about this topic. We would appreciate your support in teaching the collecting public that accumulated light eventually fades comic book covers. You cannot see it fade, just as you cannot see a tree grow, but go away and come back in 10 years and you will be surprised by how much that tree grew. The same thing applies to comic cover fading. Leave a comic displayed in your store and a couple of years later compare it to an identical comic stored in the dark. WOW! Unfortunately, at this point, it's too late for that comic; the damage is irreversible.

Ultra-Violet Light - UV

All plastics and glass stop some UV light, so many advertise that their "Protector" blocks UV. The truth Is that they stop only some of the damaging rays. Even Mylar will not stop all UV.

Our specially Impregnated Mylar D stops 99% of the UV light. Mylar D is accepted as photo safe to direct contact and is used internationally by archives and museums.

Yes, it costs 8 times more than standard Mylar, but it blocks UV hundreds of times more than other plastics.

Source: http://www.egerber.com/aboutpreservation2.asp

Guess I just have to accept that I cannot display books without damaging them a little each day - and try to reduce the damage using Mylar D (914M2 Mylar D bags will fit normal CGC books, not magazines)

Once I started a thread about CGC book preservation, it covers a lot of subjects and evolves with the later posts, maybe a fun read hm - you can find it here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7020029#Post7020029

Thanks! Good info there.

In other news, I called cgc and my first submission, made at a convention, is in the encapsulation phase (oooooh!) and they are going to try and link the invoice to the account I purchased after I submitted those books.

well, they could not link that invoice to my account but I called again yesterday and we are at quality control, so hopefully I should have books in a week or so.

I will be getting 5 books from my PC graded. I should have had them pressed but was too new to the game. The books are

X-Men 266 that was a 9.4 in the PGM thread.

stan lee /moebius silver surfer 1

moebius comics arzach 1 and 2

Seth Fisher Iron man / FF Big in Japan

I have high hopes for those last 3!

Seth Fisher was a luminary in the field who would have been one of the biggest names in the business by now if he had not tragically fallen off that roof in Japan! His passing was as surreal as his comics and far too tragic.

Edited by Bird

still no books yet, it is driving me crazy.

On the "this week back from cgc" thread it seems books after mine are getting shipped now, so maybe it is in the mail!

I am expecting disappointment on the grades, but I still want them ASAP.

Maybe I will call (again) tomorrow and check the status.

Edited by Bird

my books were apparently mailed today, so I should have them later this week! I am going to be chagrined that I did not press the X-Men 266!

Next up, a nice selection of cool PC books and some hot stuff - 20 MST books scheduled for grading. They should be 3 weeks to a month behind the ones that shipped today.

Edited by Bird

Thanks Cheesefrog!

I got my first ever submission back today from cgc! The first three were bought off the stands by me when they came out; the last two were purchased in the last year or so off ebay. The grades on the first three made me happy while the grades on the last two shocked me a bit. I thought I had a 9.8 there for sure. I intend to submit or have already submitted the other books in the miniseries these are all from and expect to keep them in my collection for now.

CIIWJ-sUsAAo4th.jpg

CIIWJqTUkAAKUyC.jpg

CIIWJzuVEAEhFK7.jpg

CIIWOVoUsAAuBTC.jpg

CIIWOFmUwAAPGpE.jpg

Well, I intend to keep them all but the Gambit issue. That one was meant from the start to pay for the whole submission if I was lucky, and I guess I was lucky. It had gone through the PGM thread a while back and was consensus 9.4, so I was hoping for a 9.6 but really thought I could have a 9.2 or 9.0 on my hands. I have been a bit shocked at the grades some of the books I submitted for onsite at Philly came back with, especially an 8.5 that I thought was magnificent. So I was expecting the same possibility here but am obviously glad my initial decision that it was worth submitting was correct.

So I will probably sell the X-Men 266 9.6 on the boards here, perhaps even today! But I am also thinking I may have a shot at a real gem here, a semi-key book that with some CPR could perhaps become a 9.8.

hm

Anyone care to offer an opinion?

Okay, I am excited about these so I put them up! This is under my flat screen in the basement room; the Seth Fisher Iron Man / FF is a place holder until the Stan Lee Silver Surfer issue 2 comes back. I will also put the 4 issues of Moebius' Airtight Garage underneath them. The first two will get there later tonight, but I have to cook dinner now.

CIIeM4fUwAAHGWd.jpg

well, I just packed up five books to send out for pressing. This will be my first attempt at pressing, but I have a BA12 that needs it so I added 2 Secret Wars 8s, a Rachel Rising 2 that I think I will get SSed eventually, and (of course) one Omega Men 3 that I think will be a 9.8 when done.

Hey, since there were once a bunch of NJ guys who were reading this thread...anyone want to golf? I get tee times at Rutgers Golf course pretty easily so if anyone wants to join me for a day of golf and comic talk let me know. Weekends only.

well my 20 cgc books should be here Monday. I am still learning so much. I got 8 9.8s,, 4 9.6s, and 5 9.4s. My Giant Days 1 Gran variant was 9.4, left bottom back cover multiple bend, D'OH! At least my Morlocks 1 is a 9.8! :P

But then I got two 7.5s and an 8.5! I was a bit stunned by those. One of the 8.5s is for a Moebius Airtight Garage issue...the other three issues I subbed were 9.2, 9.6, and 9.8 so that surprised me. But it will still look awesome on my display rack under the television.

Omega Men 3 continues to be a struggle for me to get in 9.8 though!

well, those 20 books finally arrived from sunny Sarasota!

CKjo4MjUkAA5X57.jpg

I know, I know, you cannot really see them all but you can get an idea!

The Maxx books were from a mystery box...I don't think I got my money's worth now that the grades have come back. I got a 9.0 on an earlier issue as well.

I think it is time for a sales thread; I have too many slabs piling up and a bunch of nice raw books as well!

Here are two keepers

Pleasant surprise...

CKjp7zcUMAAGwhG.jpg

Unpleasant surprise....

CKjp7kfUcAAUo5m.jpg

I guess the bottom one is a keeper...for now. I already feel the need to upgrade as the other two not pictured are 9.2 and 9.6