• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watch my slab collection grow from scratch to BIG $$$ scratch!

292 posts in this topic

Four slabs in post office limbo. They were supposed to be here yesterday but no update since 5 am Thursday! After that I was going to say only one more on the way but I did just get two more through comiclink,including a $6 slab. Oh comiclink, bottom feeder heaven!
Yes it is got my first art piece fom them for a whopping $11 dollars, it was pretty funny since I saw the price written on the back for $30.

I just went through and bid on about 30 items. We shall see how I do. I usually do not do that but have some extra hobby cash right now and see some real bargains, mostly art-wise.

Hopefully you wont be putting that war chest up against anything I like last Clink auction you did bid me up on that Buscema Avengers page after all. lol But at least we both got one in that auction.

HA! Those were darn fine Kang pages. each with a tremendous close-up. I thought I was lucky to get mine a bit cheaper than yours. You got Kang origin if I recall correctly, so that is sweet.

Okay, now I know who you are David! Hello.

Hey, anyone who just happens to wander in here is encouraged to check out the Pay It Forward thread. It has been slow lately in there, but that thread has rejuvenated my participation on the boards and I have met some nice people ni there and had a ton of fun. Not to mention I got a nice X-men slab, two pieces of OA and gave away some cool comics, including a cool Ray Bradbury signed set of books. Check it out, and if you used to do it but have stopped,please look in and maybe get back involved. We need more good will in there and in the world in general. And there has not been a cross word in there since I started two months or so ago.

Edited by Bird

Four slabs in post office limbo. They were supposed to be here yesterday but no update since 5 am Thursday! After that I was going to say only one more on the way but I did just get two more through comiclink,including a $6 slab. Oh comiclink, bottom feeder heaven!
Yes it is got my first art piece fom them for a whopping $11 dollars, it was pretty funny since I saw the price written on the back for $30.

I just went through and bid on about 30 items. We shall see how I do. I usually do not do that but have some extra hobby cash right now and see some real bargains, mostly art-wise.

Hopefully you wont be putting that war chest up against anything I like last Clink auction you did bid me up on that Buscema Avengers page after all. lol But at least we both got one in that auction.

HA! Those were darn fine Kang pages. each with a tremendous close-up. I thought I was lucky to get mine a bit cheaper than yours. You got Kang origin if I recall correctly, so that is sweet.

lol Hello, Bird or should I say Sean!

Nice to know the other page is also in NJ, if your going to the Artcon in March, I'll bring the page with me, and you can bring yours, it would be nice to see it in person.

lol Hello, Bird or should I say Sean!

Nice to know the other page is also in NJ, if your going to the Artcon in March, I'll bring the page with me, and you can bring yours, it would be nice to see it in person.

Sure, that would be fine. I plan on really working the room and would love to take some time and chat.

I am here everyday and been on the forums for over 10 years and never entered that thread. Been giving things away to boardies for years as some can attest., If I see someone say they are looking for something I just send it to them. Next time I will do it in that thread. Might be a good way for me to see if there is any not too expensive OA since I want to get started in comic book OA. . Thanks for the alert on that thread.

Hey, anyone who just happens to wander in here is encouraged to check out the Pay It Forward thread. It has been slow lately in there, but that thread has rejuvenated my participation on the boards and I have met some nice people ni there and had a ton of fun. Not to mention I got a nice X-men slab, two pieces of OA and gave away some cool comics, including a cool Ray Bradbury signed set of books. Check it out, and if you used to do it but have stopped,please look in and maybe get back involved. We need more good will in there and in the world in general. And there has not been a cross word in there since I started two months or so ago.

I am here everyday and been on the forums for over 10 years and never entered that thread. Been giving things away to boardies for years as some can attest., If I see someone say they are looking for something I just send it to them. Next time I will do it in that thread. Might be a good way for me to see if there is any not too expensive OA since I want to get started in comic book OA. . Thanks for the alert on that thread.

What kind of stuff are you interested in Spid? If your in NJ, you could go to comicartcon in March. They have a huge selection with things in everyone's price range.

Sure. C'mon over. I have about 8 pieces of cheaper OA set aside for that thread alone. The rules are on the first page and are fairly straight-forward. Older raw comics, newer comic runs, memorabilia, slabs, OA - you can find it all in PIF.

Sure. C'mon over. I have about 8 pieces of cheaper OA set aside for that thread alone. The rules are on the first page and are fairly straight-forward. Older raw comics, newer comic runs, memorabilia, slabs, OA - you can find it all in PIF.

Will have a read later on all the rules and see what i got to give away . Got my son Basket ball game to go to in a bit , probably some good late night reading. Thanks.

. What kind of stuff are you interested in Spid? If your in NJ, you could go to comicartcon in March. They have a huge selection with things in everyone's price range.

Where is this Comicarton at in NJ. Might be a good show to go to to see what I have an interest in. I paired down my comic collection over the year from 5,000 books to 3,000 to 1,200 and just a few months ago i was laid off for 8 months and decied it was own to my favite 2-300 books. So I now have my collection of comics done and always thought about getting some original art or a comic page but having been unemployed for 8 months and then working at a $13 an hour job at quick chek for another 4 months until I found my current management job I am on a tight budget for a while .The art seemed do expensive when I read the threads on here.But I am learning its not all expensive and you can get decent stuff for under $100 etc. My interest probably would be some Venom Spiderman type stuff.

One of the things that got me interested in some OA was actually a pay it forward thing. I was auctioning off a few things on Ebay. and in the auction was a set of mcFarlane Keepsake cards. Got a fellow who emailed me and asked if the auction did not sell would I just sell him the keepsake by them selves . I cancelled the auction and told him i will send him the keepsake for free . I sent it and a few days later I got a package from him. Below was what is in it. For a second I thought it was the original cover Art for ASM 300 that was on auction at the time lol. (sold for 140K) but it was a copy of it straight from someone he knew at the auction house. I am still looking for a frame for this. Was an incredible gesture. (Sorry for the crapppy pic, too big for a scanner )

<a  href=2015-01-24184949_zps7aafaf42.jpg' alt='2

What kind of stuff are you interested in Spid? If your in NJ, you could go to comicartcon in March. They have a huge selection with things in everyone's price range.

Where is this Comicarton at in NJ. Might be a good show to go to to see what I have an interest in. I paired down my comic collection over the year from 5,000 books to 3,000 to 1,200 and just a few months ago i was laid off for 8 months and decied it was own to my favite 2-300 books. So I now have my collection of comics done and always thought about getting some original art or a comic page but having been unemployed for 8 months and then working at a $13 an hour job at quick chek for another 4 months until I found my current management job I am on a tight budget for a while .The art seemed do expensive when I read the threads on here.But I am learning its not all expensive and you can get decent stuff for under $100 etc. My interest probably would be some Venom Spiderman type stuff. The con is held in Secaucus NJ, heres the website http://comicartshowcase.com/comic-art-con.html Its has an entrance fee of $10, but its not that bad. It can be a little over whelming at first seeing all that stuff together, but you get use to it.

Heres a video, the room in the video is the older one, and for the one coming up, is suppose to be much bigger.

Deadpool Jr thanks , Secaucus is not too far from me, i may go to that. Looks like a good place to start.

Bird, thanks for that heads up and also sorry for thread hijacking there. I just realized it and again sorry. Back to your new slabs . Cant wait for more photos.

absolutely not hijacking! I enjoy people talking comics and comic art, no problem

chat all you like

The comic art con is great, but it will be overwhelming. It is mentally exhausting in my opinion. I can't wait.

In that video I am going to make a strong offer, not the full price, on the Mignola you can kind of make out at Albert Moy's booth in the top left corner when they are interviewing people.

I am going to go to the Hasbrouk Heights comic book show today and maybe get a slab or two. Check out this Bob Fox guy I hear good things about, see what the Fox says. Gonna try and trade for some awesome gene Colan art but I have been shot down on that recently...maybe some Starman pages can pry it loose.

I have zero intention of buying slabs and then putting them in a box or stacking them out of sight. So when the area I have gets full I will either stop and marvel at my gains or sell a bunch off and upgrade. PIF them out if necessary even. I am really digging the ones I have though, that is why I got them! I have 6 on the shelf, 1 coming gratis from a boardie, two at comiclink waiting for auctions' end, and 4 in the mail from a trade for a Silvestri / Green Wolverine page. I figure I have room for about 20 easy and a few more if I get curtains to go over the blinds...darn slivers of direct light are eliminating a few spaces!

Was all prepared to go to the show but my kitchen sink had some issues and my father in law is coming over to have a look so need to stay here. As a side note , Zapp Comics in NJ (both locations) purchased a new collection and they are putting out the new books today (pictures on there facebook page) and I may run over to Zapp later. Went last week and got a XFactor # 24 (ist Arch Angel) but missed out on the ASM 298-299 they had cheap. Enjoy the show Bird and please let us know if you get anything .

Was all prepared to go to the show but my kitchen sink had some issues and my father in law is coming over to have a look so need to stay here. As a side note , Zapp Comics in NJ (both locations) purchased a new collection and they are putting out the new books today (pictures on there facebook page) and I may run over to Zapp later. Went last week and got a XFactor # 24 (ist Arch Angel) but missed out on the ASM 298-299 they had cheap. Enjoy the show Bird and please let us know if you get anything .
Thanks for the tip Spid, I love that store, one time I bought a FF 56, from them in their just in box, for $12, and when I opened it at home found it was signed by Kirby! Was really happy about that deal. Highly recommend going over.

20140414_194709_zps95dbd9cc.jpg

Well, I was supposed to get my 4 slabs from the trade with J today. Actually they were due Thursday or Friday. So it is a snowstorm in NJ, a really big one coming tonight, and when I got home just now...no mail. Okay, Chicken Little reigns in NJ today and everyone is ascared of the weather, so whatever. But when I check tracking it says 3 things, none of which are true. Package was attempted delivery at 2:44 pm, receptacle was blocked, and a notice was left. Well, my daughter was home at 2:44 pm. I took photos of the mailbox fully accessible, and have no notice anywhere. And 2 feet of snow expected tomorrow.

So I go to the post office post haste, but surprise surprise they are actually closed. So I clearly won't be getting my slabs tomorrow, the receptacle will definitely be blocked on Wednesday, etc. etc. etc.

So I will have to venture over there somehow tomorrow or Wednesday evening just before they close.

Mostly I am p.o.'ed about the slack mailman. But Bob Dobbs was right, slack wins because I can do nothing at this point but redirect the package and try and get it myself.

Edited by Bird

My Mailman who came to my office to pick up mail today told me he will not be back to deliver mail until Thursday, And yes in bad weather I have had the mailman "pretend " to deliver the mail. I was waiting for my copy of the 1st App of Groot like 2 years ago , paid alot so was tracking and was tracking and it was a bad rain day, like a monsoon. Was a Saturday but was in my office waiting. Suddenly the tracking says "Tried to deliver but office closed" , I was sitting there all day so i knew it was bull. I drove to the post office and they admitted it happens and gave me my book. What can you do.