• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watch my slab collection grow from scratch to BIG $$$ scratch!

292 posts in this topic

Okay, I officially have more than i can show! I may re-arrange some art to make some more room but that is still up in the air.

I still have the Kamandi 3 and 4 in the pipeline so when they come I will have 28 slabs. I have 21 showing nicely on the shelves - the 10 BWS MCPs, 4 X-Men, 4 Dr. Strange, 2 Defenders, and 1 Inhumans. I have 5 more in the closet on the top shelf obscuring the giant display books they replaced on the shelves. Okay, I see one more shelf worth of knick-knacks I can displace for another 8-10 slabs. So I may be at the sell-and-upgrade situation fairly quickly. I think I may continue to get some more cheaper cool ones and then see what is what. I have my eye on one slab for $120 that I am going to try and get for $90 or so (he keeps telling me it costs $20 to sell after fees and shipping so if I go get it with cash that may work) but will wait until the time is right and I have some cash from the slabs I already accumulated.

B-JwOueCUAAIGsr.jpg

Real cool new additions. I LOVED reading Harbinger as it was coming out brand new on the stands. I was really into all of those titles and really thought this was the second coming of the Marvel universe. :cloud9:

Thanks! I couldn't pass up this Valiant one, the cover is a great Miller cover and harbinger was such a fun title. Yes, I also thought it was an awesome universe and still want to know what is in Armstrong's pouch!

I got this from my wife year's ago for my birthday. The fact that she contacted BWS and bought it for me negates the fact that Barry signed in the body of the art. he wished me Happy Birthday though!

BWSarcherarmstrong.jpg

I also picked up a Battle of The Planets slab in Pay It Forward last night, courtesy of Shadow Images. Thanks Shadow! A week or two and it should be in hand.

9tmosm.jpg

Edited by Bird

well, I started to list my comic collection in the copper/modern sales thread. I hope to move out the comics and use the money for the cgc membership and get some of my own books slabbed. So feel free to buy my comics!

You dawg....... look what you've made me do. Now, I also want the 198 and 205..... but at least they're not too pricey. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

X-Men202069373_jpg.png

I know, I know....it is all my fault.

You got a nice one there, great pick-up! I don't want keys or semi-keys but personal keys! Sometimes they are the same (DD 181) but usually not. Yes, the other BWS Uncanny issues are high on the list.

I honestly could not care less for slabbed books but I had to tell you I just love that Windsor McCay :o Uncle Sam illustration.

Just wonderful…

It is awesome to have that hanging on my wall.

Here is another groovy piece, this one hanging above the entrance to the room with the McCay.

B40kN1NIAAE7JwN.jpg

Charles Vess Elric of Melnibone

Well, as I said a fewposts ago I was selling some comics here on the boards. It was generally successful and I got a few hundred bucks out of it. Enough to buy a sweet Carmine Infantino / P Craig Russell Dr. Strange splash with the proceeds!

And if that isn't enough, and trust me it is as I dream of turning comics into comic art and this is the second time I have done that directly. The first time was one of the, if not THE, first times I ever bought original art. I dropped a copy of Evil Ernie #1 signed by both Pulido and Hughes (signed at Marple Comics in New Brunswick NJ the day it came out) off at a booth at a Philly convention manned by a friend of a friend. He agreed to try and sell it for $100 if I gave him $10 for success. As I asked for it back in the middle of the day a customer stopped and inquired about the comic. He offered $70, I gave $10 to the vendor and went on my way. Shortly thereafter I stumbled across Bernie Mireault. He is an excellent writer/artist and sometime colorist. He colored the Grendel: Warchild issues and I was always struck by the colors in that book. Bold blues and whites contrasted with the powerful black of Grendel Prime. So I bought 5 color stills from bernie with the $60, maybe 10 minutes after getting the money. Those were true painted color guides; Bernie painted on the reverse side of the line art on acetate. This meant that he had to paint backwards out so to speak, base colors last.

I eventually managed to locate the original art page for one of those color guides. I have since sold those color guides and any Grendel Warchild pages long ago. I held onto one inparticular for a long time. I may have it around here somewhere, hold on...

..well, apparently I cannot access the home network old data backup with my files.

So, yeah, I sold some comics.

But thing is I went through 2/3 of my long and short boxes to do so and found a bunch of comics I really like. Not even love, but some comics where I went "WOW, that looks pretty sweet and would be a cool slab on the shelf." Some of them I love, sure. But I was surprised at how many I pulled out, a dozen or so at least. So I have some decisions to make.

I am going to drop them off at a NYC convention next weekend. I'll show you later what books I am considering, or at least some of them! :o

Look what I got today!

B-9uJZtVIAAZYeA.jpg

I almost put issue 3 in my sales thread in the mixed forum but decided to not sell any slabs just yet, at least not in that thread. I plan on starting another sales thread in copper/modern but decided that I would do something in a mixed thread first while I got my act together for the bigger modern thread. I did well last time but feel I could have done better with more scans and better organization so I will be ready when I finally do post the new sales. In the meantime feel free to check out my mixed thread for a little bit of everything, at least as far as my collection is concerned.

mixed sales thread here on the cgc boards

Edited by Bird

I traded art today with Anthony Snyder and was able to swing a three way deal! I had made arrangements with board member Griff to trade him for this wonderful slab.

j8cz13.jpg

4h6t1y.jpg

The only hitch was that Griff did not really want the stuff I have. So I made tentative arrangements to trade him some things from Anthony's inventory, providing that I could acquire them myself. I would not have paid the price required for the art from Anthony in hard cash and actually had to trade away art valued higher than what I got back; that is the deal with a dealer, he gets more value that I do but I get to upgrade many pieces to few. But I did not have to pay any money out of pocket today and was essentially able to use money spent years ago to acquire this slab. I have a raw copy and am considering grading it even though it would be about a 5.5 but am most happy to have gotten this one from Griff.

Thank you Griff! I hope you enjoy your sexy Elvira pages!

Edited by Bird