• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heven is a Place on Earth 616!

5 posts in this topic

How many years from now will we look back at the arrival of Angela in the Marvel Universe and reminisce about her strange odyssey from Angel/Spawn Killer to Thor's Sister/Asgardian Assassin?

In May of 2013, Angela officially returned to the four-color pages with pomp and circumstance in Age of Ultron #10, after she had been declared dead in Spawn #100, 13 years prior. Angela's resurrection meant that the long standing copyright dispute between comic book paragons Neil Gaiman and Todd McFarlane had miraculously come to an end. We can only speculate the reasons behind Gaiman's decision to let Marvel have her; I often wonder how Angela would have fit into the DC Universe if Gaiman went that route, and the countless battles she may have had: Angela vs. Superman; Angela vs. Wonder Woman; Angela vs. Shazam; Angela vs. Etrigan; Angela vs. Lobo; Angela vs. Justice League Dark; Well... you get the picture... but the House of the Mouse got her, and she's there to stay... and probably better off in the long run.

I remember when I was miffed at how Marvel initially portrayed Angela in the pages of Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3, #'s 5, 6, and 7. It was like Angela had been hit in the head by a space rock and robbed of not only her memory, but her charm and personality. Quite frankly, it was painful to read especially with the way Gamora had pushed her around and shoved a laser gun in her face. WTF?!? What happened to that sassy, kicka$$, take no sh*t and take no prisoners attitude? After her exhumation, did Angela get spayed? And speaking of exhumation... How did Angela return from the dead after Malebolgia impaled her through the chest with her own trident? Here's the short answer to that: Don't ask so many questions and just accept things the way they are. Who needs continuity anyway? In comics it is so overrated. Am I right?

But that's all ancient history and water under the bridge now that Angie's been retconned as the legitimate heir to the Asgardian throne. And speaking of ancient history... below is a snapshot of my collection of Angela's initial appearances in Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3, #'s 5, 6, 7, and 10.

Here's the CGC Yellow Label Rundown:

Issue 5: Signed by Sara Pichelli

Issue 6: Signed by Sara Pichelli and Justin Ponsor

Issue 7: Signed by Sara Pichelli and Justin Ponsor

Issue 10: Signed by Justin Ponsor and Kevin MacGuire

I would have gotten issues 8 and 9 signed and graded but Francisco Francavelli was a no-show on the one day I attended New York Comic Con. Oh well... perhaps next year.

Most of the dupes are going on sale as quad sets on eBay... but if anyone wants a set... just PM me.

Thanks for reading and as always... Happy Collecting!

16314.jpg

See more journals by screenwriter3d

Obsessed?... I don't know.

I know it seems like it, but to be honest its more like, in my old age, I have severely restricted my collecting habits to a short list of heroes. Angela just happens to be one of those heroes on the short list, and one that's in the here and now getting some attention in the comics scene..

When I was a kid collecting, I bought indiscriminately... buying comic books for their art more than anything; story took a back seat. As a teenager, story, especially bizarre, weird, unusual and foreign, piqued my interests and I became much more selective buying less but enjoying more.

Going into college and working full time, I quit comics... but every once and a while, when I got bored and needed a distraction, I would browse the newsstands and comic shops but rarely buy.

Somewhere in my late 30's, in the middle of my marriage, comics came back into my life... probably because I was writing and was looking for ideas and inspiration. I decided to collect again but with more purpose. Then I thought about comics as an investment... and the internet led me to discover the CGC.

Sometime in mid-2012, Angela came into my life. I was looking for unique, rare and controversial comics that i thought had investment potential, and I discovered Angela's debut in Spawn #9 was one such comic. The character's intellectual property rights history is interesting since it sparked a long and litigious dispute between Gaiman and MacFarlane, that I had to collect multiple copies of Spawn #9 thinking these will have value one day. Then I also discovered that the newsstand editions of Spawn #9 are rare, and I happen to get the very first one graded by the CGC (that was just dumb luck), and it adds additional levels of uniqueness, desireability, investment value and fun, fueling my collecting bug. Then by sheer coincidence, attention was drawn to Angela's return... and that's when I actually started to care for her. And I ran with it, and now I collect her exploits... no longer because of the controversy or the investment potential, but because I think she's pretty cool! Gaiman gave her wit, sassiness, and made her fun to read; MacFarlane made her sexy, fierce, tough, and powerful. Together, they made Angela!

Yes... maybe it seems like I'm obsessed, and I'm inclined to agree with you, but this is my MO as an adult collector: I find a character, fall in love, and go deep into their creation, mythology, and canon... until I get burned out and bored. Right now Angela has my attention... let's see if Marvel can keep my interests with her for the long run.

SW3D.

I was bummed that I was only able to do one day at NYCC... for I knew it meant I couldn't meet you and other members.

This year, I will make it my mission to buy a 3-day pass and have the opportunity to put a name to the face. So if you are coming to NYCC, I will for sure make it a priority to finally meet you.

SW3D