• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swamp Thing Rulz the Copper Age!
7 7

317 posts in this topic

k5dM3fol.jpg

"Down Amongst The Dead Men"

What a great story. And even better, Swamp Thing happens across Deadman, Phantom Stranger, The Spectre and Etrigen as he travels Purgatory (though it is not called that) to find Abby's soul. He happens across Alec Holland, who can finally escape to peace now that Swamp Thing buried his body in issue #28.

Great storytelling!

k5dM3fol.jpg

What a great story. And even better, Swamp Thing happens across Deadman, Phantom Stranger, The Spectre and Etrigen as he travels Purgatory (though it is not called that) to find Abby's soul. He happens across Alec Holland, who can finally escape to peace now that Swamp Thing buried his body in issue #28.

Great storytelling!

One of the first Swamp Thing books I read, what a way to get introduced to the series! I still re-read it a few times a year.

One of the first Swamp Thing books I read, what a way to get introduced to the series! I still re-read it a few times a year.

I just did my annual reading three weeks ago. Even now, these books are still great!

k5dM3fol.jpg

Great storytelling!

My favourite ever single story. First read at maybe 13 or 14 and enjoyed many times since. A really accessible book and the plot just keeps you in there - the artwork is superb...

1st issue I bought was no.34 from a newsagent - quite a read for a 13 year old boy!!! :o

Loved the run, still do...

Many years later I read no.1-20 and all the post Alan Moore issues up to no.171... I'd recommend just about all of it, certainly the Millar / Morrison run too

k5dM3fol.jpg

Great storytelling!

My favourite ever single story. First read at maybe 13 or 14 and enjoyed many times since. A really accessible book and the plot just keeps you in there - the artwork is superb...

1st issue I bought was no.34 from a newsagent - quite a read for a 13 year old boy!!! :o

Loved the run, still do...

Many years later I read no.1-20 and all the post Alan Moore issues up to no.171... I'd recommend just about all of it, certainly the Millar / Morrison run too

I really have only read v1 and v2 up to #64, I just end up re-reading them, but I really should check out the rest of the run. I'm planning on picking up the full new 52 run, I've heard some good things.

I realize it is so easy to gravitate towards the key issues with a long run like Swamp Thing Vol. 2. It's the natural reaction to target those books first. But after taking photos the other day of a run that I have, it brought back so many good memories of this series, and a reminder why it was a fun read throughout.

Swampthing_set%20001_zpseh7eq9lh.jpg

Swampthing_set%20002_zpsp818eorx.jpg

Swampthing_set%20004_zpsej0bvilc.jpg

And the covers only get better as the series continues on into the Rick Veitch run (65-87).

sales_books%20001_zpshg3raumd.jpg

sales_books%20002_zpsddh4gphm.jpg

sales_books%20003_zpsnwhmfcrf.jpg

Swamp Thing #83 with the Red Baron cover is one of my favorites, along with the Superman cover of #79.

:cloud9::cloud9:

It definitely was a horror and fantasy series that marched to its own drum. I had not realized this about the Copper Age series until it was mentioned in this thread, but Saga of the Swamp Thing was the first mainstream comic book series to abandon the Comics Code Authority ('Comics Code Rejects Saga of Swamp Thing Story; Swamp Thing Rejects Code' - The Comics Journal #93, September 1984).

I realize it is so easy to gravitate towards the key issues with a long run like Swamp Thing Vol. 2. It's the natural reaction to target those books first. But after taking photos the other day of a run that I have, it brought back so many good memories of this series, and a reminder why it was a fun read throughout.

Swampthing_set%20001_zpseh7eq9lh.jpg

Swampthing_set%20002_zpsp818eorx.jpg

Swampthing_set%20004_zpsej0bvilc.jpg

And the covers only get better as the series continues on into the Rick Veitch run (65-87).

sales_books%20001_zpshg3raumd.jpg

sales_books%20002_zpsddh4gphm.jpg

sales_books%20003_zpsnwhmfcrf.jpg

Swamp Thing #83 with the Red Baron cover is one of my favorites, along with the Superman cover of #79.

:cloud9::cloud9:

It definitely was a horror and fantasy series that marched to its own drum. I had not realized this about the Copper Age series until it was mentioned in this thread, but Saga of the Swamp Thing was the first mainstream comic book series to abandon the Comics Code Authority ('Comics Code Rejects Saga of Swamp Thing Story; Swamp Thing Rejects Code' - The Comics Journal #93, September 1984).

.... those who disregard the importance of this series often overlook the sheer volume of it..... something "right" must certainly have been done. These were coming out before I met Judy, and each girlfriend I had during this long period also wanted to read my copies.... and ironically, when I met Judy, it turned out she was a lifelong fan also. Chicks like Swamp Thing for some reason. This title kept me coming into the LCS for years, while I picked up and dropped many other titles. Few other titles captivated me this way. The only others that "hooked" me long term over the years were Byrne FF's, Wolfman Perez NTT's, and Newton Bat books. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks for the groups shots, they look really god together!

It definitely is one of my all-time favorite runs. With other titles I would like certain story arcs or individual books. With Swamp Thing, it was a wild ride throughout.

.... those who disregard the importance of this series often overlook the sheer volume of it..... something "right" must certainly have been done. These were coming out before I met Judy, and each girlfriend I had during this long period also wanted to read my copies.... and ironically, when I met Judy, it turned out she was a lifelong fan also. Chicks like Swamp Thing for some reason. This title kept me coming into the LCS for years, while I picked up and dropped many other titles. Few other titles captivated me this way. The only others that "hooked" me long term over the years were Byrne FF's, Wolfman Perez NTT's, and Newton Bat books. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It really is a title that can transcend genders easily, versus catering to one or the other.

:applause:

I realize it is so easy to gravitate towards the key issues with a long run like Swamp Thing Vol. 2.

Yeah, #14 and #15 aren't "key" and the story is kinda boilerplate mad-scientist-gets-hoisted-on-his-own-petard, but the Scott and Bo Hampton artwork is great, very evocative of the art style on HOS #92.

Those were the last Swamp Thing issues I bought off the rack as a kid, bitter-sweet memories of those two books. I thought they were great as a kid. Took them to school when I was in the 3rd grade. There was one period where we switched classrooms. When I came back to my home-room class, they were gone. Guess they made an impression on someone else too. :cry:

I still need to find high-grade copies of those issues.

I am finally reading my way through this series. I'm on issue 58 at the moment,

So awesome.

Without a doubt one of the best comic series I've ever read. My original plan was to stop at 64, but I am considering continuing. When I bought the lot of these, I got up to issue 100..... Is it worth reading past issue 64? I'd love to get some opinions on the books quality post Moore.

Thanks,

Christian

65-87 (Rick Veitch): Following in the footsteps of Alan Moore, who he had worked with since Swamp Thing 37, over time Veitch focused on history in this run leading up to the unpublished 88 story where Jesus and Swamp Thing were going to finally meet. Veitch quits over DC not publishing his Jesus story.

Note: Neil Gaiman and Jamie Delano were being prepared to step in behind Veitch as the next creative team. Due to Veitch's reason for quiting, they pass on taking on Swamp Thing in support of his concerns. But they at least work on Annual #5.

88-109 (Doug Wheeler): Considered the writer than focused more on safer topics compared to Moore and Veitch, he focused on the Parliment of Trees and how this influenced Swamp Thing. Good stories - but nothing great.

110-138 & Annual 6-7 (Nancy Collins): A horror writer, this is when Vertigo kicks in with Swamp Thing 129. She takes the book back to the foundational roots established by Moore and Veitch, and makes this title interesting again.

139 ( Foreman): Crossover story with Black Orchid (Foreman's real focus).

140-144 (Grant Morrison/Mark Millar): Takes an interesting approach by bringing back Alec Holland as a separate being, and making Swamp Thing a force of destruction. This was how Morrison got DC to hire Millar as an unknown on one of their semi-major titles.

145-171 (Mark Millar): Over a series of issues Swamp Thing becomes god-like to the point he is beyond all other beings and becomes a Planetary Elemental. I think these are fun stories that definitely went beyond the safe days of Wheeler and Collins. These are very dark books that washed away all that safeness of the past few years. Unfortunately, either DC got concerned with that and gave up on the title, or Millar walked away to focus on other characters. But it ended with him, on a solid note.

I love this series I remember starting around issue 12 as a kid. And my eyes were blown away at the cover of issue 13.

Issue 3 is a really fun read and later ties in to issue 38.

Issue 81 if I remember ties into the original Wrightson series, issue 9 if memory serves.

The series as a whole goes down in quality after Moore leaves, I think I quit around issue 90 and sometimes picked up a random issue when I liked the story or art.

Edited by Rip

65-87 (Rick Veitch): Following in the footsteps of Alan Moore, who he had worked with since Swamp Thing 37, over time Veitch focused on history in this run leading up to the unpublished 88 story where Jesus and Swamp Thing were going to finally meet. Veitch quits over DC not publishing his Jesus story.

Note: Neil Gaiman and Jamie Delano were being prepared to step in behind Veitch as the next creative team. Due to Veitch's reason for quiting, they pass on taking on Swamp Thing in support of his concerns. But they at least work on Annual #5.

88-109 (Doug Wheeler): Considered the writer than focused more on safer topics compared to Moore and Veitch, he focused on the Parliment of Trees and how this influenced Swamp Thing. Good stories - but nothing great.

110-138 & Annual 6-7 (Nancy Collins): A horror writer, this is when Vertigo kicks in with Swamp Thing 129. She takes the book back to the foundational roots established by Moore and Veitch, and makes this title interesting again.

139 ( Foreman): Crossover story with Black Orchid (Foreman's real focus).

140-144 (Grant Morrison/Mark Millar): Takes an interesting approach by bringing back Alec Holland as a separate being, and making Swamp Thing a force of destruction. This was how Morrison got DC to hire Millar as an unknown on one of their semi-major titles.

145-171 (Mark Millar): Over a series of issues Swamp Thing becomes god-like to the point he is beyond all other beings and becomes a Planetary Elemental. I think these are fun stories that definitely went beyond the safe days of Wheeler and Collins. These are very dark books that washed away all that safeness of the past few years. Unfortunately, either DC got concerned with that and gave up on the title, or Millar walked away to focus on other characters. But it ended with him, on a solid note.

I'd recommended 1-20 too (Marty Pasko?)

Of the above I really enjoyed the Veitch run and everything post no.140

some of the Millar stories are fantastic, well worth seeking out

as an aside, I'm sure the print run on the last 10 or so issues must have been low, no.171 is quite tough to find