• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swamp Thing Rulz the Copper Age!
7 7

317 posts in this topic

Those covers have convinced me there is some crazy :censored: going on inside on those pages, haha!

When waiting for a train at London's Victoria Station in 1984, Gaiman noticed a copy of Swamp Thing written by Alan Moore, and carefully read it. Moore's fresh and vigorous approach to comics had such an impact on Gaiman that he would later write; "that was the final straw, what was left of my resistance crumbled. I proceeded to make regular and frequent visits to London's Forbidden Planet shop to buy comics"

The Library of Graphic Novelists - Neil Gaiman

Those covers have convinced me there is some crazy :censored: going on inside on those pages, haha!

You have no idea.

For example......

Issue #29 ran without the Comics Code seal of approval. The reason? There's panels of Abby and her husband Matt Cable in bed together. No graphic sex or anything, but there's the clear implication that they're married and enjoy the intemacies that go along with it.

But Matt's reflection the mirror shows, not his image, but that of Abby's uncle Anton Arcane (who looks pretty messed up at this point). In a previous issue, it was established that Matt had died in a car accident and Arcane had posessed his body.

So although not explicitly stated, the suggestion from these panels is that Abby has engaged in both incest and necrophelia.

If I remember right, because it wasn't overt, the censors didn't catch it until it was going to go to press, too late to make changes so they just ran it without the Code.

A couple of issues later, they dropped the Code altogether on the title and started carrying the banner "Sophisticated Suspense" which later became the "For Mature Readers" warning.

Yeah, there's some pretty freaky stuff in Moore's run.

You have no idea.

For example......

Issue #29 ran without the Comics Code seal of approval. The reason? There's panels of Abby and her husband Matt Cable in bed together. No graphic sex or anything, but there's the clear implication that they're married and enjoy the intemacies that go along with it.

But Matt's reflection the mirror shows, not his image, but that of Abby's uncle Anton Arcane (who looks pretty messed up at this point). In a previous issue, it was established that Matt had died in a car accident and Arcane had posessed his body.

So although not explicitly stated, the suggestion from these panels is that Abby has engaged in both incest and necrophelia.

If I remember right, because it wasn't overt, the censors didn't catch it until it was going to go to press, too late to make changes so they just ran it without the Code.

A couple of issues later, they dropped the Code altogether on the title and started carrying the banner "Sophisticated Suspense" which later became the "For Mature Readers" warning.

Yeah, there's some pretty freaky stuff in Moore's run.

And the birth of Vertigo was born. For anyone who has not read Alan Moores masterpiece, at least read ST 21, The Anatomy Lesson. Easily one of the greatest single issues ever.

I think the specs got the memo that this series rocks because #21 has been cheap and I've never seen any stupid BINs until now. There are four or five silly BINs up the last few days.