• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DAREDEVIL #1 CLUB
15 15

940 posts in this topic

I'm glad that DD 1 is going up in price and finally getting appreciated. It seems to me that its true value should be close to ASM 1 or at least JIM 83. However, for some reason, everyone sells DD 1 in large quantities and does not consider a super ultra mega duper cool key, like ToS 39 or ASM 1. Perhaps this is because that the character has not yet been introduced into the MCU, but when he appears there, everyone will immediately remember this comic and want him to be included in the collection. 

And do not forget that DD 1 is not only the first appearance and origin of the daredevil, but also his first solo release. This makes it even cooler

On 2/22/2021 at 10:01 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I love DD #1 but I can't ever imagine it approaching ASM #1 or JIM #83.  Dated April 1964, it is the last of the early Marvel Silver Age #1s, arriving at the end of that burst of early creativity.  The character has also never been central to the Marvel Universe, nor have his villains or plotlines (his two best villains, Kingpin and Punisher, are actually Spidey villains).  Contrast with Spider-Man, who has been the face of Marvel and whose central role in the universe has been cemented by a bazillion crossovers including a long-running team-up book that made sure he interacted with just about every other character in Marvel's portfolio.

(Side note:  It occurs to me that one reason Hulk #181 will always be the top book of the Bronze Age is that for an entire generation of collectors who grew up in the '90s, Wolverine was that character for them.  Marvel found a way to cross him over to an insane degree, tying him and his backstory to so many other Marvel heroes and villains in the process.  He became almost as much of a nexus character as Spidey himself.)

As for JIM #83, JIM / Thor will always be a top top book because it was one of the two primary vehicles (along with FF) for Kirby's creative genius.  (We should remember that TOS / Iron Man was definitely on a lower tier, at least from a solo standpoint, before Robert Downey Jr.)  From a universe-building standpoint, there's nothing in the DD run to compare with what was going on in ASM, FF, or JIM / Thor.

DD has always had a comic book link with Spiderman from early on plus they do share many of the same villains as well. If DD truly makes an appearance in the upcoming spidey movie plus the popularity of the Netflix series it could very well be the beginning of the Iron Man effect for him in the books. 

On 2/16/2021 at 4:55 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I don't know who in their right mind could put up a listing like that with so little info in the description.  Whatever this is, it needs some serious explaining for anyone to consider buying it.  At a minimum, that would mean details about the book's publisher and publication date, whether the whole thing is in black and white, whether it's an actual reprint of DD #1 as we know it, and whether it's complete.  I mean, right off the bat, are we looking at a cover (there's no price on it) or are we looking at the splash page of a coverless book?

As it happens, I have one of these from back in the day. I was going to post it in here as a rare example but then saw the post by @gadzukes

To answer your questions, the whole thing is B&W, the small print you can see at the bottom lists the publisher and date. My copy is also coverless, so I suspect that is the way that it was issued.

NB I am not on ebay so am not the ebay seller. Nor do I know who is selling this.

59 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

As it happens, I have one of these from back in the day. I was going to post it in here as a rare example but then saw the post by @gadzukes

To answer your questions, the whole thing is B&W, the small print you can see at the bottom lists the publisher and date. My copy is also coverless, so I suspect that is the way that it was issued.

NB I am not on ebay so am not the ebay seller. Nor do I know who is selling this.

Super helpful, thanks!

On 2/22/2021 at 10:01 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I love DD #1 but I can't ever imagine it approaching ASM #1 or JIM #83.  Dated April 1964, it is the last of the early Marvel Silver Age #1s, arriving at the end of that burst of early creativity.  The character has also never been central to the Marvel Universe, nor have his villains or plotlines (his two best villains, Kingpin and Punisher, are actually Spidey villains).  Contrast with Spider-Man, who has been the face of Marvel and whose central role in the universe has been cemented by a bazillion crossovers including a long-running team-up book that made sure he interacted with just about every other character in Marvel's portfolio.

(Side note:  It occurs to me that one reason Hulk #181 will always be the top book of the Bronze Age is that for an entire generation of collectors who grew up in the '90s, Wolverine was that character for them.  Marvel found a way to cross him over to an insane degree, tying him and his backstory to so many other Marvel heroes and villains in the process.  He became almost as much of a nexus character as Spidey himself.)

As for JIM #83, JIM / Thor will always be a top top book because it was one of the two primary vehicles (along with FF) for Kirby's creative genius.  (We should remember that TOS / Iron Man was definitely on a lower tier, at least from a solo standpoint, before Robert Downey Jr.)  From a universe-building standpoint, there's nothing in the DD run to compare with what was going on in ASM, FF, or JIM / Thor.

Agree with the bulk of what you said, but I would argue it was Daredevil that made Kingpin the formidable villain that he is, and you left out the ultimate DD baddie: Bullseye!

On 3/4/2021 at 5:45 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

I’ve chased it to no avail the 2 times I’ve seen it on eBay over the years. It did have a cover that was in color, with a soft blue background IIRC. They’re out there.

10 hours ago, Djohnson321 said:

I finally broke down and got a DD 1. I have been working on a 1-100 run for the past several years and now just 5 issues remain (28,33,47,49 and 50). Obviously wish I had purchased it earlier, but at least I can now say I’m part of the club!

FE76988B-204C-4729-A274-67C62A6B4201.jpeg.fb27dc861fc69b34daab39e3bee8f9c5.jpeg

Congrats! That's an awesome run and a beautiful copy! 

1 hour ago, Keep_It_Clunky said:

Agree with the bulk of what you said, but I would argue it was Daredevil that made Kingpin the formidable villain that he is, and you left out the ultimate DD baddie: Bullseye!

On 2/22/2021 at 9:01 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

From a universe-building standpoint, there's nothing in the DD run to compare with what was going on in ASM, FF, or JIM / Thor.

For shame! How could you have forgotten Stilt-Man? lol

Or even Purple Man!?

I'm wondering why there was no explosion in price as we see now when the Netflix DD series came out, or even when it was first announced? 🤔

I think the Netflix DD series really put the character on the map as it was very well made. In fact I'm re-watching all 3 seasons as we speak.

16 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Or even Purple Man!?

I'm wondering why there was no explosion in price as we see now when the Netflix DD series came out, or even when it was first announced? 🤔

I think the Netflix DD series really put the character on the map as it was very well made. In fact I'm re-watching all 3 seasons as we speak.

The series got so much right, it really was great. I rewatch it often. And Kilgrave was really good in Jessica Jones, I do think DD will ultimately be lighter in tone once he hits the MCU. At least at first. 

20 minutes ago, Keep_It_Clunky said:

The series got so much right, it really was great. I rewatch it often. And Kilgrave was really good in Jessica Jones, I do think DD will ultimately be lighter in tone once he hits the MCU. At least at first. 

I agree with that especially in Spider-Man 3 which is a more family-oriented. But, I really hope that DD will continue to have the same tone as in the Netflix series in the future.  It fits his character perfectly, kinda like Nolan's Batman.

1 hour ago, Keep_It_Clunky said:

Agree on Kilgrave! 

Of all the Netflix Marvel series, season 1 of Jessica Jones was my favorite. The problem for JJ was, Kilgrave was too important to her story. So by eliminating him after season 1, season 2 didn't really hold my interest.