• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DAREDEVIL #1 CLUB
15 15

940 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rob_react said:

Yeah, this one is going to tickle at what that ComicLink 9.6 sold for a few months ago. That book was such a bargain. Everything else recently has been super-strong. 

Yep, like a $13K bargain lol. I will never understand how that happened.

9 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yep, very very impressive sale. It's the first time I've seen a 9.4 sell for over $20K in the four years I've owned mine.

It used to be a roughly $20K book regularly until a few years ago. The market kind of stalled on that book when 3 auction houses auctioned off 3 CGC 9.6 copies within a month of each other.

Of all the early SA Marvel keys I always thought that DD #1 had the best artwork. I'm just a sucker for the Everett art in that book.

Edited by VintageComics

31 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It used to be a roughly $20K book regularly until a few years ago. The market kind of stalled on that book when 3 auction houses auctioned off 3 CGC 9.6 copies within a month of each other.

Of all the early SA Marvel keys I always thought that DD #1 had the best artwork. I'm just a sucker for the Everett art in that book.

Yeah I thought it was a bigger book at one point. I know the addition of two CGC 9.8's some years ago may have also softened the market on 9.4's as I recall, but I'm sure those three quick 9.6 sales did the most damage lol. Well, nice to see it recovering!

30 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:
1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Yeah I thought it was a bigger book at one point. I know the addition of two CGC 9.8's some years ago may have also softened the market on 9.4's as I recall, but I'm sure those three quick 9.6 sales did the most damage lol. Well, nice to see it recovering!

When the 1st 9.8 arrived it was purchased by the owner of the Curator CGC 9.6.

The owner of the Curator CGC 9.6 auctioned off his undercopy. At the time the put it to auction I don't think they realized there were 2 additiional copies being auctioned within the same time period. I think they all went off within 2-3 weeks of each other. The last copy to be auctioned off was also the least attractive copy, a CGC 9.6 with tan cover and OW pages which also didn't help the final auction price.

It ended in a Heritage auction @ $37K and when that posted to GPA I think it affected people's valuations of the book.

Before that it was regularly thought of as a $50K-60K book in CGC 9.6.

It's a shame because I think the Curator actually ended at $50K or something like that on Pedigree but at the time they didn't report to GPA.

Edited by VintageComics

What 

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

When the 1st 9.8 arrived it was purchased by the owner of the Curator CGC 9.6.

The owner of the Curator CGC 9.6 auctioned off his undercopy. At the time the put it to auction I don't think they realized there were 2 additiional copies being auctioned within the same time period. I think they all went off within 2-3 weeks of each other. The last copy to be auctioned off was also the least attractive copy, a CGC 9.6 with tan cover and OW pages which also didn't help the final auction price.

It ended in a Heritage auction @ $37K and when that posted to GPA I think it affected people's valuations of the book.

Before that it was regularly thought of as a $50K-60K book in CGC 9.6.

Yeah, the top level has been beaten down for a few years. The multiples have been compressed for a while. There's upward pressure from lower grade copies being hot and then there's been a weird cap at the highest level holding down the higher grade values. 

A 9.0 would sell for $7-8000, a 9.2 would sell for $9-11000 and then a 9.4 would sell for $15-18000. I would expect a bigger spread between those grades.  The 9.4/9.6 ratio was normal (most 9.6s were basically 2x 9.4s)  but 9.6s have been stagnant.  Right now 9.4 look like they're getting closer to where I would expect them to be. 

10 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

Maybe there will be a DD TV show to boost prices!

That's just the thing, the TV series has had an effect it's just been slower to show itself in the highest grade copies. I think that's changing now. 

8 hours ago, rob_react said:
8 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Maybe there will be a DD TV show to boost prices!

That's just the thing, the TV series has had an effect it's just been slower to show itself in the highest grade copies. I think that's changing now. 

He might have been sarcastic. lol

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Will it ever reach $30K?

If you work up from the 9.0 price it might be expected to be a $30k book right now. Doubling value for every .2 is a rough guide to value for Silver Age books and 9.0 DD #1s sell for between $7500 - $8500. That puts you at $15,000+ for a 9.2 and $30,000+ in 9.4. Obviously, if 9.6s are at $35-38,000 then that rough guide falls apart here.  If 9.6s were back at $50-60,000 then we'd be back on track :sumo:

45 minutes ago, rob_react said:

If you work up from the 9.0 price it might be expected to be a $30k book right now. Doubling value for every .2 is a rough guide to value for Silver Age books and 9.0 DD #1s sell for between $7500 - $8500. That puts you at $15,000+ for a 9.2 and $30,000+ in 9.4. Obviously, if 9.6s are at $35-38,000 then that rough guide falls apart here.  If 9.6s were back at $50-60,000 then we'd be back on track :sumo:

Those damn 9.6's!!! Can someone tell them to start picking up the slack!!! lol

On 2017-07-25 at 0:09 AM, Icculus308win said:

I missed the ? bus somewhere along the line 

Pretty sure Tom Brulato owned the 1st 9.8 as he put his CGC 9.6 Curator on the market at the time.

9 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Pretty sure Tom Brulato owned the 1st 9.8 as he put his CGC 9.6 Curator on the market at the time.

Correct. He also picked up the first copy of Daredevil #2 9.8 auctioned off on Pedigree.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 7/24/2017 at 10:46 PM, Gotham Kid said:

2010 (both first and second)

The second was in the April 11, 2011 census. Looking at the census history, it looks like the first 9.8 was potentially an upgrade from a 9.4 (!)  (9.4s when from 18 to 17 and there was a new 9.8) 

Daredevil 1 (4/64,Marvel Comics) Universal 1,269 5.28 August 30, 2010       6 18 30 48 47 62 62 88 73 83 89 117 88 120 81 95 49 35 29 21 13 15
 Daredevil 1 (4/64,Marvel Comics) Universal 1,288 5.28 October 18, 2010     1 6 17 30 50 47 63 64 90 73 83 90 119 89 123 83 95 49 37 29 22 13 15