• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandman V2 #1 & #8 Appreciation Thread: "Don't wake me, I'm dreaming!!!"
3 3

390 posts in this topic

Obviously it's not a Gaiman signature, its a Mike Dringenberg signature.

Your right about the Neil Gaiman sig, but it doesn't look like Mike Dringenberg's sig in my opinion either unless he has multiple ways of signing. 2c

I may be wrong but the sig here looks different when compared to the Mike Dringenberg sigs in this thread on earlier posted books. (shrug)

Either way it's a Sandman #1 and a welcomed addition to this thread! (thumbs u

As a long time comic reader (35+ years), but someone who's never had a book professionally graded, I have a question regarding Sandman 8. Hypothetically, say you have a copy that looks great from the front, but the Batman ad on the back has a little of the ink rubbed off near the spine. How would that affect a book that would have otherwise received a 9.8?

As a long time comic reader (35+ years), but someone who's never had a book professionally graded, I have a question regarding Sandman 8. Hypothetically, say you have a copy that looks great from the front, but the Batman ad on the back has a little of the ink rubbed off near the spine. How would that affect a book that would have otherwise received a 9.8?

Pictures would help. (thumbs u

-J.

Pictures would help. (thumbs u

-J.

I'm not close to a scanner this weekend, but here's the best camera phone pic I can pull off at the moment:

Bottom right back cover corner:

1eyvi.jpg

Front:

R7pH.jpg

Edited by MachoGrande

Sorry for the late reply.

Those colour rubs on the back will most likely get this book a 9.2/9.4.

Great copy by the way. :applause:

-J.

Jay underestimates.

If that rub at the bottom staple is the only obvious flaw this book has, you shouldn't have any problem getting a 9.6. It's not that bad, and won't look anywhere near that bad in hand. The slight rub directly to the right of the trademark line won't be very visible in hand, and the "speckling" along the spine edge are light artifacts, yes?

Thanks Jaydog and RockMyAmadeus. And yes, that speckling on the spine is reflected light. It's a Karen Berger variant so I had planned to get it graded regardless, but having never submitted a book for grading, I wondered how those rubs might affect the grade.

I'm going to be in Baltimore in a couple weeks and I see that onsite grading is offered. Any experience with onsite grading positively or negatively affecting the grade?

Edited by MachoGrande

Thanks Jaydog and RockMyAmadeus. And yes, that speckling on the spine is reflected light. It's a Karen Berger variant so I had planned to get it graded regardless, but having never submitted a book for grading, I wondered how those rubs might affect the grade.

I'm going to be in Baltimore in a couple weeks and I see that onsite grading is offered. Any experience with onsite grading positively or negatively affecting the grade?

Onsite grading has been discussed as "lenient" for many years now.

Frankly, I don't see it. For as many as have gotten "gift" grades, I've seen just as many get hammered (I even got a 9.4 OW on a Wolverine LS #1 onsite once...cracked it, did nothing to it, subbed it under a 9.8 pre-screen....got the 9.8 it should have gotten in the first place..AND White pages to boot.)

These days, onsite grading is no different than mail-away-grading - it's just a lot faster :)

RMA's right - I've seen CGC 9.6 books with this staple rubbing too.

Is that a colour rub on two different places on the back ? If so, I'm sticking with my 9.4. I have a 9.6 with one speck of that rub on one corner of the back cover. I even talked to Matt Nelson about it. The rubs on your book are much larger, and if in two different places I'm not seeing a 9.6. 9.4, maybe. CGC is tight now too, so also keep that in mind. Best of luck let us know how it turns out. Hopefully the others will end up being right. (thumbs u

-J.

I see my post sharing my "Voldemort" graded 9.6 Neil Gaiman verified signature Sandman 1 got completely pulled. I even cropped out the holder label to try to conform with forum rules. Oh well. It really is a beauty and I had it signed in person back at Heroes Con (Charlotte, NC) back in 1997, so glad to finally have it encapsulated.

Is that a colour rub on two different places on the back ? If so, I'm sticking with my 9.4. I have a 9.6 with one speck of that rub on one corner of the back cover. I even talked to Matt Nelson about it. The rubs on your book are much larger, and if in two different places I'm not seeing a 9.6. 9.4, maybe. CGC is tight now too, so also keep that in mind. Best of luck let us know how it turns out. Hopefully the others will end up being right. (thumbs u

-J.

You are correct. There is a lesser linear rub to the right of the trademark and the larger rub above it. I'll post my Baltimore results here in a couple weeks.

Sorry for the late reply.

Those colour rubs on the back will most likely get this book a 9.2/9.4.

Great copy by the way. :applause:

-J.

Jay underestimates.

If that rub at the bottom staple is the only obvious flaw this book has, you shouldn't have any problem getting a 9.6. It's not that bad, and won't look anywhere near that bad in hand. The slight rub directly to the right of the trademark line won't be very visible in hand, and the "speckling" along the spine edge are light artifacts, yes?

+1 I've even had a couple of 9.8 pressman books with the same color rub. But, he rest of the books were both close to flawless, so it is technically possible, but unlikely. Being a black cover hurts though; so I agree with RMA's assumption.