• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandman V2 #1 & #8 Appreciation Thread: "Don't wake me, I'm dreaming!!!"
3 3

390 posts in this topic

Heres some quick links I've found for 'documentation'

This was J's I believe

http://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/horror/sandman-8-editorial-variant-dc-1989-cgc-nm-96-white-pages-this-is-the-rare-variant-featuring-the-karen-berger-editori-1-/a/15103-16276.s

Here's one,

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111561093764&alt=web

And another (this was the low grade J mentioned)

http://cr.azdevserver.com/product/product?source_id=181569873824&source=1

Some evidence is still out there, you just need to be searching as long (or longer) than I have!

I personally should have contacted mschmidt to see if he (or she) would part with one of their 6 raws

Luckily for me I found a guy in the UK who had the one I bought spare as he'd 'upgraded'

The first one is a sale from 2005. I can't speak for Jay, but that *might* be out of the running for "recent."

The other two reference the sales already mentioned.

I dunno....four sales in five months...plus only 2 slabs in over a year...

hm

Doesn't *seem* like a obvious uptick in heat and price to me....

PS. I've been looking for this book since 1991. You too?

:D

How is that even possible? There's only, like, 17 copies still left in existence.

Right and with all of your jibber-jabber and the obvious recent uptick in heat and price for the book (which has brought out a few raws), there is still much less than even 100 copies "officially" accounted for, raw or slabbed. lol

In fact I would wager that that newly slabbed 9.2 is one of the raw copies that has sold in the last few months.

-J.

"Obvious" recent uptick in heat and price...?

Got any evidence for this?

There have been two sales in the last several months on eBay, one raw, and this 9.2 that just sold. Aside from the 9.8 in August, there hasn't been a slabbed sale recorded at GPA since 2013.

Do you have other evidence that would demonstrate your claim?

Yes. There have been more than just those two sales. There was a mid grade raw that went for about $450. There was a 9.0-ish raw that went for about $600. There was also a 9.6-ish looking raw that sold for $1k in the fall. Then of course the last raw auction that's still on ebay for nearly $1,100.

Pardon me, I wasn't clear: do you have any documentation that demonstrates this?

lol Yes. Expired ebay listings. Sorry, I can no longer link you to them, but fret not, they happened. (thumbs u

-J.

So...no?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandman-8-1st-App-DEATH-VARIANT-Karen-Berger-Editorial-Edition-RARE-MOVIE-/121456930540?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&rt=nc&si=RgD8672UacyTR%252Bjk7ERwAehdhLc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandman-8-VARIANT-Karen-Berger-Editorial-Edition-RARE-1st-App-DEATH-/181569873824?pt=US_Comic_Books&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&rt=nc&si=RgD8672UacyTR%252Bjk7ERwAehdhLc%253D&orig_cvip=true&hash=item2a466867a0&rmvSB=true

-J.

The same buyer bought both those copies (118 feedback). I wouldn't be surprised if Michael bought both those copies. (Hi Mike :hi:).

I had a longer post written out, but will just scrap it for now. I will state this though. If Investors (and not collectors) are buying up copies of this book at 9.2 for $2k, you'll be hard pressed to make any $$ on them. Despite what Jay has said here, there are limited buyers for this book.

If a collector did buy it, kudos and enjoy the book.

Good catch! Yes, the same buyer bought both those books.

I certainly am enjoying the book, it was one of the last ones I required for completing my collection!!

I find its always difficult to find key books in the UK but have found peoples opinions on the board to be interesting and varied, I'm glad this topic was started and am excited to see where it leads!

Cool, thanks for the documentation.

However...four sales in the last five months doesn't seem like an "uptick in heat and price", much less an "obvious" one...

hm

I would imagine that, having had only TWO slabbed sales in the last year wouldn't support that conclusion.

Maybe it's a case of in sight, in mind? That is, we've talked about it so much here, there's a projection of that perception into the market that doesn't actually exist?

hm

The scant sales being a result of the book's scant numbers, but I have not seen raw copies go for this kind of money. Until this 9.2 sold I was sure that the dollars raw copies were realizing were rivaling what a slabbed copy would go for. If this 9.2 sale is legit it would suggest a commensurate increase in slabbed prices as well, hence my posit that the book is "hot".

@Cujobyte: I have a working theory that the sandman 8b will eventually be the copper age equivalent of the star wars 1 price variant.

-J.

However...four sales in the last five months doesn't seem like an "uptick in heat and price", much less an "obvious" one...

hm

I would imagine that, having had only TWO slabbed sales in the last year wouldn't support that conclusion.

Maybe it's a case of in sight, in mind? That is, we've talked about it so much here, there's a projection of that perception into the market that doesn't actually exist?

hm

The scant sales being a result of the book's scant numbers, but I have not seen raw copies go for this kind of money. Until this 9.2 sold I was sure that the dollars raw copies were realizing were rivaling what a slabbed copy would go for. If this 9.2 sale is legit it would suggest a commensurate increase in slabbed prices as well, hence my posit that the book is "hot".

@Cujobyte: I have a working theory that the sandman 8b will eventually be the copper age equivalent of the star wars 1 price variant.

-J.

So....there's an "obvious uptick in heat and price"....but, scant sales to demonstrate that...?

How does that work...?

hm

"If" is a big word. We shall see.

Heres some quick links I've found for 'documentation'

This was J's I believe

http://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/horror/sandman-8-editorial-variant-dc-1989-cgc-nm-96-white-pages-this-is-the-rare-variant-featuring-the-karen-berger-editori-1-/a/15103-16276.s

Here's one,

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111561093764&alt=web

And another (this was the low grade J mentioned)

http://cr.azdevserver.com/product/product?source_id=181569873824&source=1

Some evidence is still out there, you just need to be searching as long (or longer) than I have!

I personally should have contacted mschmidt to see if he (or she) would part with one of their 6 raws

Luckily for me I found a guy in the UK who had the one I bought spare as he'd 'upgraded'

The first one is a sale from 2005. I can't speak for Jay, but that *might* be out of the running for "recent."

The other two reference the sales already mentioned.

I dunno....four sales in five months...plus only 2 slabs in over a year...

hm

Doesn't *seem* like a obvious uptick in heat and price to me....

PS. I've been looking for this book since 1991. You too?

:D

91?! Holy , only sine 2012 (when I finally started making the right amount of money!) I'll go get back in the box then....

I would say you could have mine just for your wait, but I've only just got it and it sooo pretty!

91?! Holy , only sine 2012 (when I finally started making the right amount of money!) I'll go get back in the box then....

I would say you could have mine just for your wait, but I've only just got it and it sooo pretty!

hm

Yeah, when I discovered Sandman...it's strange, I never ran across a cheap one, and I was in the Bay Area at the time, where they were first given out. Missed it by *that* much.

hm

hm

-J.

So....there's an "obvious uptick in heat and price"....but, scant sales to demonstrate that...?

How does that work...?

hm

Four raws and two slabs in six months or so is "a lot" by this book's standard. And with strong prices for each and every one of those raw copies and a 9.2 now evidently selling for what a 9.8 sold for six months ago, I do not believe the word "hot" is an overstatement.

-J.

hm

hm

-J.

How does that work...?

hm

Four raws and two slabs in six months or so is "a lot" by this book's standard. And with strong prices for each and every one of those raw copies and a 9.2 now evidently selling for what a 9.8 sold for six months ago, I do not believe the word "hot" is an overstatement.

-J.

You would have to demonstrate the sales history of this book to show an "uptick."

A 9.0 sold for $250 less than three years ago, and a 9.4 sold for $300 in 2009.

There have been 17 sales of this book slabbed, going back to 2002, averaging about 1.2 a year. The prices, while "up", don't definitively prove that this is due to the book ITSELF, or the overall exuberance on the market in general.

This 9.2 is a quintessential "outlier", if it's even legitimate.

For record keeping purposes, you argued THE EXACT OPPOSITE POSITION when discussing Cerebus #1 last year.

meh

-J.

Hey Jay, I sure hope so! (thumbs u Just imagine how Sandman 8b will take off once a movie is announced? $$$$

This is one of those books that comes up so rarely, I wonder if the recorded sales are actually "Buy It Now" prices, which were snapped up quickly, and the true "open market" value is completely unknown?

There have been a few books like that where I have paid "Buy It Now" prices as fast as I could and thought to myself "I would have gladly paid double, but the seller set the price low and I'm happy to pay it."

Unsold "Buy It Now" auctions are helpful for determining the upper limit for the prices of books on the open market, because they're open to everyone, and no one wants them.

Completed "Buy It Now" auctions for rarely-seen items don't really tell us anything about the open market, since the market didn't decide the final price. hm

This is one of those books that comes up so rarely, I wonder if the recorded sales are actually "Buy It Now" prices, which were snapped up quickly, and the true "open market" value is completely unknown?

There have been a few books like that where I have paid "Buy It Now" prices as fast as I could and thought to myself "I would have gladly paid double, but the seller set the price low and I'm happy to pay it."

Unsold "Buy It Now" auctions are helpful for determining the upper limit for the prices of books on the open market, because they're open to everyone, and no one wants them.

Completed "Buy It Now" auctions for rarely-seen items don't really tell us anything about the open market, since the market didn't decide the final price. hm

I know you're turning back flips over that recent 9.2 sale. :banana:

-J.

Picked up a copy for $45 today - it was simply marked as a VF/NM #8 with no mention of the error. Needless to say, I didn't haggle on the price.

Was it in the Chicago area?

I have a feeling Michael was in Wisconsin, say Madison ???? :baiting:

Picked up a copy for $45 today - it was simply marked as a VF/NM #8 with no mention of the error. Needless to say, I didn't haggle on the price.

*faints*

:-O

Mike the magnet (of sandman rarities)