• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree collectors

100 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

not sure it there's another pre-silver twin cites.  and a frazetta to boot!

ffunnies209.jpeg

The Twin Cities ped mostly consisted of high grade silver. I recall the ASMs as well as an AF15. I was under the impression that to be deemed a pedigree, the collection must be books pretty much obtained off the rack so to speak by the original owner. Not saying that he didn’t pick up this key Frazzetta approx 8-9 yrs prior to the bulk of his amassed collection but say he picked it up at a show 10 years later. How does that work with peds? To go even further, say he picked up a Batman 1, obviously at a show of shop say in the 70s, would that have been deemed a pedigree? Just always wondered if you could create/simulate a pedigree collection today. 

14 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

The Twin Cities ped mostly consisted of high grade silver. I recall the ASMs as well as an AF15. I was under the impression that to be deemed a pedigree, the collection must be books pretty much obtained off the rack so to speak by the original owner. Not saying that he didn’t pick up this key Frazzetta approx 8-9 yrs prior to the bulk of his amassed collection but say he picked it up at a show 10 years later. How does that work with peds? To go even further, say he picked up a Batman 1, obviously at a show of shop say in the 70s, would that have been deemed a pedigree? Just always wondered if you could create/simulate a pedigree collection today. 

CGC makes mistakes. Billy collects mistakes.

56 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

CGC makes mistakes. Billy collects mistakes.

true, i have no problem with them labeling only a single one, erroneously, so long as i own it!

Edited by Straw-Man

16 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Generally, I think your definition of a pedigree is correct.  However, I don’t believe it’s an absolute rule that all books in a given collection had to be purchased off the racks by the OO.  A good chunk of Edgar Church’s books were reportedly bought later as a group.  Still, no one attempts to differentiate those books as not part of the pedigree.  Same applies to these books from Gary Dahlberg’s collection.

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

A good chunk of Edgar Church’s books were reportedly bought later as a group.

According to who? I have never heard this.

13 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

According to who? I have never heard this.

Wow.  You know, I was pretty sure that it was part of Chuck's explanation of the collection.  Particularly the books after 1947 that are lacking the completion and condition of the earlier titles.  However, for the life of me, I can't place where that information came from.  

At any rate, the explanation that I recall was that the ECs and other books from the 50s looked like they had been read to varying degrees and appeared to have come from a different source than the newsstand that he purchased the early books from.  Without a clear recollection of where I got this, it's probably unreliable or hearsay.  If I'm wrong, accept my apologies for the confusion.

26 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Wow.  You know, I was pretty sure that it was part of Chuck's explanation of the collection.  Particularly the books after 1947 that are lacking the completion and condition of the earlier titles.  However, for the life of me, I can't place where that information came from.  

At any rate, the explanation that I recall was that the ECs and other books from the 50s looked like they had been read to varying degrees and appeared to have come from a different source than the newsstand that he purchased the early books from.  Without a clear recollection of where I got this, it's probably unreliable or hearsay.  If I'm wrong, accept my apologies for the confusion.

No worries, but I don't think that is correct. I was lucky enough to see the ECs all together early on and they were spectacular.

5 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

those early "double-slash" books he must mean.

That makes sense, but those were just a small fraction of the whole.

4 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

No worries, but I don't think that is correct. I was lucky enough to see the ECs all together early on and they were spectacular.

Interesting.  Thanks for the clarification.  If I sort out where I got that, I’ll post it.  Out of curiosity, what are the “double slash” books?  I’ve never heard that reference.

2 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Interesting.  Thanks for the clarification.  If I sort out where I got that, I’ll post it.  Out of curiosity, what are the “double slash” books?  I’ve never heard that reference.

There were books from the early and mid 30s marked with two pencil slash Mark's. The assumption is that these were purchased second hand. They may be the books you are thinking of but they are a very small percentage and all very early. 

27 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

There were books from the early and mid 30s marked with two pencil slash Mark's. The assumption is that these were purchased second hand. They may be the books you are thinking of but they are a very small percentage and all very early. 

no longer mine, but here's the only one i ever had.

cjack6.jpg

On 1/28/2019 at 12:42 AM, Junkdrawer said:

Interesting point. As discussed in later posts, some of the Church books were clearly bought second hand.  I think the same is true of some of the books in the Don & Maggie ped.  So far as I know, CGC hasn't cut those books out -- the whole collection gets the ped designation.  Doing otherwise might involve making some judgement calls that they'd probably sooner avoid.

Still, in the example you give, my guess is that they wouldn't have given the book the ped designation.  A key issue from way outside the ped's usual time frame would be an easy call I think.

Is the "Ask CGC" thread still active?  If so, maybe they'd answer there or maybe Matt Nelson could say. 

On 1/28/2019 at 1:26 PM, Straw-Man said:

true, i have no problem with them labeling only a single one, erroneously, so long as i own it!

Do you have a list of the peds/file copies in your collection?  I occasionally see a file copy and wonder if you have an example yet.

have seen a few file copies that i missed on and have had hell finding again:  toby, i.w., lev gleason.   also, the novelty press/star/curtis books have had various books labeled as each of those, tho' they're all really under the same umbrella as far as i can tell [that little spine design that they all sport at one point, like this one].   wouldn't mind having one with "novelty press" file copy--saw a guns against gangsters a couple years ago, that shark cover, but went for a fortune.

dickcole4.jpg

Edited by Straw-Man