• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's Indiana Jones
3 3

413 posts in this topic

Saw it Tuesday. Overall, liked it. Felt like Indiana Jones.

My critiques, too long, and god daughter part was written horribly. Totally unlikeable, and didn't really get any better.

Edited by Hulksdaddy1

On 7/16/2023 at 3:57 PM, media_junkie said:

The Disney "wins" just keep on coming.  Shouldn't this be the biggest "Flop" of all time for the studio?  If break even is $800 million-ish, this will be a $400 million loss.

Not exactly.  With production and marketing IJ 5 is conservatively at $425M spent.  Say it tops out at $375M and half goes back to Disney, so $187.5M. So 187.5 - 425 = $237.5M loss for the film.

Still really painful and sad, but something will be recouped.  

On 7/16/2023 at 4:07 PM, drotto said:

Not exactly.  With production and marketing IJ 5 is conservatively at $425M spent.  Say it tops out at $375M and half goes back to Disney, so $187.5M. So 187.5 - 425 = $237.5M loss for the film.

Still really painful and sad, but something will be recouped.  

Huge loss but it will help Disney + have a great quarter when I get released to streaming.  I’m sure a ton of people will sign up for a couple months to see it which has a price tag ( nothing close to 250 million but something).

On 7/16/2023 at 6:43 PM, 1Cool said:

Huge loss but it will help Disney + have a great quarter when I get released to streaming.  I’m sure a ton of people will sign up for a couple months to see it which has a price tag ( nothing close to 250 million but something).

That has not been happening for D+.  The streaming service lost about $650M last quarter, and the previous 4 quarters that was $1 billion each.  They lost 4 million subscribers last quarter while Mando S3 was airing.  So content is not driving subs, so IJ5 is highly unlikely to turn this around.

On 7/16/2023 at 6:48 PM, drotto said:

That has not been happening for D+.  The streaming service lost about $650M last quarter, and the previous 4 quarters that was $1 billion each.  They lost 4 million subscribers last quarter while Mando S3 was airing.  So content is not driving subs, so IJ5 is highly unlikely to turn this around.

Content always drives subs but content also cost a ton of money.  Numbers are trending down for Disney+ even though they have recently added Avatar 2 so I agree a single movie can’t bring in the masses but a hit movie does have value to any steaming service.  Disney+ has very little content compared to a lot of the other services and what they have been releasing lately hasn’t been great but a hit family movie should move the needle a bit towards better numbers.

On 7/17/2023 at 5:32 AM, Bosco685 said:

Well, there goes the burgeoning genre of octogenarian action movies. 

Can someone please remove 'The Golden Girls And The Lake Of Fire' from the schedule? 

Just saw it on Disney+ for free and I wish I had the tablet to get my time back. The opening was good and nostalgic and the end (minus the last 10 minutes of schmaltz) was neat but on a whole it was a slog to get through. It was way too long. What was the plot, actually? The god-daughter's motivations were confusing for me. If this is wrong please someone explain -

Spoiler

she had a deal with the Nazi to sell him half of the tablet that Indy may or may not have but reneges and tries to auction it in Tangiers but steals it again? Did she want to sell it or not? What was she actually trying to accomplish? Why were the CIA and Nazis following her to begin with

? The bad guys kill everybody ("no witnesses") except Indy and the kid for...reasons? Indy was wanted for murders but gets on an international flight with no problem. In the end did they explain how he's back in America and not under arrest?

The editing during chases were a complete mess. For the horse scene they showed the henchmen stealing rides but when they get to subway station the CIA woman was somehow already there, then when Indy rides to the next station she is there too! Quite the mind reader to know he was going to ride down the tracks, and pick the right direction, and get there before him! Incredible. The other chases was just one coincidence after another. Didn't matter what direction Indy turned he inevitably ran into the bad guys. The movie suffers from the "Antagonist is a Bloodhound" trope. No matter where Indy went, Mr. Nazi tracked him down just as Indy found whatever he needed. This is true in all the movies so it's consistent, I guess. 

Oh, and the wooden bridge was magically repaired in the cave when they left. 

There's about a dozen other things wrong but that's all I can think of after just one watch and no rewatch will happen. 

I know, nitpicks and tldr but I had to vent. 

image.png.d5b54bc7e247f8f6d5ade1d1619043b1.png

Forbes

The film, which was released in June last year, is famous for its dramatic train chase featuring a digitally de-aged Ford. It came at a cost as the filings reveal that $79 million (£62.6 million) was spent on post-production work in the year to the start of April 2023 bringing the movie's total budget to an eye-watering $387.2 million (£306.7 million). It didn't translate into fortune and glory for the film.

And that number doesn't include advertising, unreal.  I swear I have asked before, but man what type of dirt does Kennedy have on "Hollywood" that she isn't getting fired?

Edited by media_junkie

On 3/31/2024 at 3:22 PM, media_junkie said:

image.png.d5b54bc7e247f8f6d5ade1d1619043b1.png

Forbes

And that number doesn't include advertising, unreal.  I swear I have asked before, but man what type of dirt does Kennedy have on "Hollywood" that she isn't getting fired?

That is what they are admitting too.  I bet the number is even higher.