• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghostbusters Reboot

70 posts in this topic

I'm sorry, I love the fact the ladies are gonna rock a Ghostbusters movie, but I don't see the Heather McDonald comedy crowd flocking to a Ghostbusters movie like they did for Bridesmaids. I was a kid when the original came out, it was basically a kids movie with some edgy New York jokes mixed in and the sequel was basically turned into a kids movie because of the original's success. I don't see kids (young boys) wanting to go on this ride with an all-female cast most likely rehashing the original's plot like I did or mainstream young women wanting to see a Ghostbusters movie. I just don't see the market to make this possibly a success like Bridesmaids. I predict a $49 million opening weekend with a steep drop for the second weekend. With that said, I'm still interested in seeing this movie (ladies in my age group, Heather McDonald fan lol , young Ghostbuster fan since day one).

NewEnglandGothic fun fact #387: I had another somewhat famous relative that was somewhat of a ghostbuster back in the day... Anthropologist F. G. Speck.

I'm sorry, I love the fact the ladies are gonna rock a Ghostbusters movie, but I don't see the Heather McDonald comedy crowd flocking to a Ghostbusters movie like they did for Bridesmaids. I was a kid when the original came out, it was basically a kids movie with some edgy New York jokes mixed in and the sequel was basically turned into a kids movie because of the original's success. I don't see kids (young boys) wanting to go on this ride with an all-female cast most likely rehashing the original's plot like I did or mainstream young women wanting to see a Ghostbusters movie. I just don't see the market to make this possibly a success like Bridesmaids. I predict a $49 million opening weekend with a steep drop for the second weekend. With that said, I'm still interested in seeing this movie (ladies in my age group, Heather McDonald fan lol , young Ghostbuster fan since day one).

This.

I couldn`t have explained it better myself. The above reasons will be why it will fail at the box office and toy aisles.

It won`t matter if it does turn out to be a good movie if no one watches it.

They are aiming this at the wrong audience.

Frankly your 49 million opening is higher then I give it. I see half that.

If they haul butt on marketing the film (get Iggy, Arianna, Charlie XCX and Rita to remake the original Ghostbusters song and do a video of them bustin' ghosts themselves, use social media to remind people of who to call when there's something weird in the neighborhood, have all four gals host SNL with murray/aykroyd/hudson passing the torch to them in the monologe -that'll set an internet trend for sure, a retro 80's trailer is a safer bet than an all out sy-fy one or a feminist one-although you could add hints with both, bring back the she- :censored: Gozer to to add to the feminist theme with an equally powerful villain and to tie into the first one and there's so much more to make this movie reasonably frontload on it's opening weekend. (thumbs u

If they haul butt on marketing the film (get Iggy, Arianna, Charlie XCX and Rita to remake the original Ghostbusters song and do a video of them bustin' ghosts themselves, use social media to remind people of who to call when there's something weird in the neighborhood, have all four gals host SNL with murray/aykroyd/hudson passing the torch to them in the monologe -that'll set an internet trend for sure, a retro 80's trailer is a safer bet than an all out sy-fy one or a feminist one-although you could add hints with both, bring back the she- :censored: Gozer to to add to the feminist theme with an equally powerful villain and to tie into the first one and there's so much more to make this movie reasonably frontload on it's opening weekend. (thumbs u

Sounds like great marketing if they did it . (thumbs u

The thing is the new Ghostbusters reboot will be going against the Power Rangers blockbuster movie that weekend.

The same audience that might have went to Ghostbusters will pick the Power Rangers over it.

Both Power Rangers and Ghostbusters have strong fanbases,but the Power Rangers aren't messing with their formula like the Ghostbuster reboot is.

'Pets' Slimes 'Ghostbusters'

Finishing second was Sony's Ghostbusters, which matched Mojo's weekend forecast with an estimated $46 million. This is the largest domestic opening for both director Paul Feig and Melissa McCarthy. Attention will now turn to the film's future prospects, mostly due to how well Feig and McCarthy's films have performed beyond their opening weekend.

More realistically, we're probably looking at a domestic run around $135-145 million. Ghostbusters carries a $144 million budget (net after tax incentives and rebates) and received an "A-" CinemaScore for the under 25 crowd, and an overall "B+", on par with Bridesmaids and Spy and just behind The Heat's "A-".

Internationally, Ghostbusters delivered $19.1 million from three major territories along with a few smaller markets. The opening included $6.1 million from the UK where the film opened on July 11 along with $3.7 million from Australia and $2.2 million in Brazil. Key upcoming releases include Russia and Italy on July 28, Germany (Aug 4), France (Aug 10), Mexico and Spain on August 12 and Japan on August 19.

Might as well re-post in the main thread, with some additional beef...

I thought that the writing could have been a little better, and I would have preferred a darker ambiance overall. Still, I enjoyed it. The cast was great, with Kate McKinnon stealing the show. The funniest Ghostbuster to ever appear on screen is in this movie, and it's Kate McKinnon. Chris Hemsworth's character is damn funny, too. Leslie Jones rocks it, and Wiig and McCarthy are solid in their not-as-over-the-top-funny roles (necessary because you can't have every character be over-the-top).

3/5 stars, but this is a must-see because of McKinnon.

I heard from people that Sony is losing money.

The only thing that's making money for them is their video game division.

The reason they really want to make this reboot is so they could make money off it and make their own Cinematic Universe.

Me and family enjoyed it as well. I wouldn't have expected not to, what with all the talented people involved. And this is coming from someone who LOVES the original movie. I just don't get caught up in they whole "how dare they" things about remakes.

I will say this, though? They put a lot of effort into filling this moving with tons of loving little references to the original movie. Some big, some small, but they were everywhere.

I honestly think that's why it was a bit less full of jokes than I expected. My guess is in the sequel they'll be freer to let loose on their own and unlike the original, this Ghostbusters 2 will be an improvement.

I honestly think that's why it was a bit less full of jokes than I expected. My guess is in the sequel they'll be freer to let loose on their own and unlike the original, this Ghostbusters 2 will be an improvement.

If there is a sequel. Here is an interview with Paul Feig (the director)

http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/paul-feig-ghostbusters-reboot-c-v-r.html

As opening day approaches, Feig can’t help but think about the stakes of making a $150 million movie. “A movie like this has to at least get to like $500 million worldwide, and that’s probably low,” he says.

Now he doesn't say if that is break even or if that is what they need to green light a sequel, but unless this movie has long legs I don't see $500 million in the cards.

It opened at number 2, and it won't be released in the second largest movie market (China). It has some big hurdles to overcome.

NewEnglandGothic fun fact #387: I had another somewhat famous relative that was somewhat of a ghostbuster back in the day... Anthropologist F. G. Speck.

Wow!

I wasn't that far off with my opening weekend perdiction a year and a half ago.

With the good reviews I was hoping it would at least yield an $80 million take. :(

Another nail in the coffin with all these reboots.

Ghostbusters' Paul Feig Says He Will Not Direct Another Classic Movie Reboot

Paul Feig, the director behind the female-driven reboot of Ghostbusters, ain't afraid of no ghost, but he is afraid of remaking another classic film.

At least, that's how it came off when he was asked if he would consider re-imagining another classic film property. “No, no, no. No, I will not,” Feig told The Huffington Post. “This one was just too tempting because I knew we could do something with it that was exciting.”

You can't really blame Feig for being skittish about venturing back into the reboot arena after spending so much of his time battling fans of the original and coming to the defense of his cast, like Leslie Jones, who was tormented with racist comments and imagery from cowardly and ignorant internet trolls.