• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has eBay dried up?

61 posts in this topic

Try the WTB section here..... I've had some luck. A boardie may very well have what you want and be more than happy to make it available. I'd certainly also be happy to keep an eye out for you at the few shows I go to each year....and I've turned up some cool stuff for friends.... as well as vice versa...... GOD BLESS......

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... "we get by with a little help from our friends....."

Thanks Jimbo, also good advice!

More often than not I think you risk getting hammered on EBay if you are a seller because they simply do not have the same audience that they had 5+ years ago. Great place to buy and find a deal but I'm sure that a bunch of GPA lows are being set on EBay via open auctions these days [unless your SparkleCity].

There are however so few regular auctions these days compared to 5 or 6 years ago - I was definitely finding more books to buy then at FMV or below than now. As has already been said, the new GA listings are on a constant loop of largely the same books, usually through the blanket placements of three, maybe four sellers. It's easy enough to scroll through the ten pages or so in a couple of minutes, but these days that seems to be all there is.

I constantly monitor ebay listings, but if there are deals they've more or less disappeared in the GA section. They may still be around in SA and BA if you look for long enough, but not in this pool.

E-bay has declined every year...you cannot trust the seller, who knows if the book really exists or its a swipe from a Ha.com auction.....

you really cannot take it seriously, the best way to buy a book is in person....SDCC, Wonder con and a whole bunch of flea markets and collectors shows....E-bay should change their name to Done-bay

..... for me, it's 99% acquisitions from reputable dealers, longtime friends, Auctions, and most importantly.... these very boards. Things have changed so much since those Creation Cons from the 70's..... if some one would have told me then that I'd be transacting with folk in Toronto, London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, and Madrid without leaving my living room.... I'd have told them to cut back a little on the Star Trek...... eBay (shrug) who needs 'em......? GOD BLESS...

.....Paypal ..... however (thumbs u

These boards are still the best. I'm sure I have bought and sold the majority of my books over the last 10 years from here.

Ya know, I really hadn't thought about that. I used to look in there as a lurker wishing I could buy some stuff. But, since I started posting I kinda forgot about that. Maybe I should take a look. Since I'm new here, I probably shouldn't sell there for a while. As I have no track record here. (I do have 4200+ pos on feebay).

Don't you call guys who sign up and start selling right away a "troll" or something?

..... just dive in, bro...... it's only cold for a second. Just pretend you don't give a *spoon* lol GOD BLESS...

If Ebay had deliberately set out to destroy their market base they could not have done a better job.

They gull most US based sellers into using a shipping program that automatically bills international buyers for bogus import charges. Fully 20% on top of the sale price.

More like 30%. It'd be interesting to hear what our C & E would have to say about this scheme.

E-bay has declined every year...you cannot trust the seller, who knows if the book really exists or its a swipe from a Ha.com auction.....

you really cannot take it seriously, the best way to buy a book is in person....SDCC, Wonder con and a whole bunch of flea markets and collectors shows....E-bay should change their name to Done-bay

..... for me, it's 99% acquisitions from reputable dealers, longtime friends, Auctions, and most importantly.... these very boards. Things have changed so much since those Creation Cons from the 70's..... if some one would have told me then that I'd be transacting with folk in Toronto, London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, and Madrid without leaving my living room.... I'd have told them to cut back a little on the Star Trek...... eBay (shrug) who needs 'em......? GOD BLESS...

These boards are still the best. I'm sure I have bought and sold the majority of my books over the last 10 years from here.

Ya know, I really hadn't thought about that. I used to look in there as a lurker wishing I could buy some stuff. But, since I started posting I kinda forgot about that. Maybe I should take a look. Since I'm new here, I probably shouldn't sell there for a while. As I have no track record here. (I do have 4200+ pos on feebay).

Don't you call guys who sign up and start selling right away a "troll" or something?

With the cool stuff you have, I think your sales threads would go like gangbusters.

Ebay is a mixed bag for me...I seldom find the books I really want at prices I can afford, but once in awhile I get lucky or find something I didn't want that I suddenly need to have...I especially like the BINs and auctions from the non-comic book people...those can get you a bargain once in awhile, like the VG+ Action #76 I picked up last year for $150. I do wish they would list the seller in the main listings of snapshots and prices. I would avoid clicking on every DTA and Mile High book. :roflmao:

With the cool stuff you have, I think your sales threads would go like gangbusters.

Oh no, I keep all the good stuff!!!

... any advice on this is always welcome...... I don't mind paying my way or my fair share.....I just don't care for being thrown under the bus by some self serving political Ogliarch...... GOD BLESS....

I'm thinking to have board sales paid by check only. We're all pretty known to each other so we're talking about receiving the check and shipping without waiting for the check to clear. Language in the listing to the effect that Buyers are responsible for charges to the seller from the seller's bank for bounced checks.

... any advice on this is always welcome...... I don't mind paying my way or my fair share.....I just don't care for being thrown under the bus by some self serving political Ogliarch...... GOD BLESS....

I'm thinking to have board sales paid by check only. We're all pretty known to each other so we're talking about receiving the check and shipping without waiting for the check to clear. Language in the listing to the effect that Buyers are responsible for charges to the seller from the seller's bank for bounced checks.

Seems a bit drastic because I think It would have to limit the number of buyers, particularly on a book that's more than moderately priced.

Come to think of it, though, given how much I like the stuff you list, limiting your buyers (all the way down to just me, if possible) is a great idea! :D

I see no reason to not take checks, or better yet, money orders or cashiers checks. I would wait until a personal check cleared my bank before sending a book to anyone except a few boardies...

Just looked at eBay...there's a real overload of DTA books on there, and a bunch from people who obviously don't know what grading is...including David, but we all know that from previous experience, don't we? :o

Because I elected to create an eBay Store and in the fine print there was something about different criteria for those accepting Merchant Cards..... which I'm not sure exactly when or if I agreed to accept them. As soon as I closed out the store, the 1099's stopped...... ironically, a fairly significant part of that year total were sales of other people's items at no profit to myself. It really pissed me off, as I received the 1099 about 1 week before April 15th...... luckily I owed a small tax bill already and had procrastinated on filing. I'd say to sum it up, I began using eBay because it was so easy and hassle free.... somewhere along the way they decided to redefine our relationship in a way that I found most unacceptable. GOD BLESS...

I don't think you can use the words '' and 'GOD BLESS' in the same paragraph. Just sayin'.

Brings up another point. If the day comes when you have to account for your sales, you better have a way to prove your basis, any kind of basis. But I rarely receive, ask for, or send invoices when doing board transactions. In lieu of proof of basis the IRS will assign the cover price of the book as your cost.

Like taking candy from a baby. In my experience, comic hobbyists are not the most detailed oriented bunch, present company included.

....that's one place where paypal comes in handy...... an excellent way of keeping track of sales AND expenditures ....at least from a certain point forward. GOD BLESS...

....that's one place where paypal comes in handy...... an excellent way of keeping track of sales AND expenditures ....at least from a certain point forward. GOD BLESS...

that is true - a good point and a good reminder to include the details of the purchase (book, grade, cert # if slab) in the memo part of the payment

that is true - a good point and a good reminder to include the details of the purchase (book, grade, cert # if slab) in the memo part of the payment

..... just print it out and slide it in the Mylar...... it also keeps me from forgetting what I paid. GOD BLESS...

..... now the part about getting taxed 28% when the fellow who sold it new was taxed at a lesser rate..... well, I'd better keep my feelings about that to myself .....

I have found ebay is great for obscure books I want that no one else is looking for, but other than that my hair stands on end when I see the BIN or starting bid of a popular comic. The boards have been great, I get the stuff I want at a reasonable price and I have made many friends with sellers :D

Everyone is so personable here, it makes the transaction so much more pleasant than some of the murky stuff on ebay.... :flamed:

I pretty much quit using eBay as a selling venue a few years ago when they sent me a 1099 for around 5K in sales after being led to believe it was 20K or 200 transactions for the threshold.

Because I elected to create an eBay Store and in the fine print there was something about different criteria for those accepting Merchant Cards..... which I'm not sure exactly when or if I agreed to accept them. As soon as I closed out the store, the 1099's stopped...... ironically, a fairly significant part of that year total were sales of other people's items at no profit to myself. It really pissed me off, as I received the 1099 about 1 week before April 15th...... luckily I owed a small tax bill already and had procrastinated on filing. I'd say to sum it up, I began using eBay because it was so easy and hassle free.... somewhere along the way they decided to redefine our relationship in a way that I found most unacceptable. GOD BLESS...

Oh come now, Jim, what you are posting is that you didn't bother to read everything before agreeing to the "store" terms (because you wouldn't have gotten the store W/O agreeing to them), and then blame the results on them "changing the game unilaterally at an undisclosed point in time".

Sorry bro, but the responsibility is entirely yours, and you're a smart enough dude to realize it.

Actually I received a notice from them stating the 20K or 200 system and trusted them to be forthright with their information. Either way, I won't be using their services as a seller again. It's no big loss.... it was mostly a succession of low ball offers on my items anyway. Receiving the 1099 a week before filing deadline was my trigger..... that was, at best, just NOT ok......GOD BLESS...

Sorry bro, but the responsibility is entirely yours, and you're a smart enough dude to realize it.

eBay, like most large corporations make their 'rules' so deep and large that you almost need a lawyer to navigate them.

And once you're in bed with them and entrenched in using them, then they change the rules on you and ask you to agree to the amendments, all which tie your hands behind your back.

I don't blame Jimbo.