• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tips for an aspiring sketch cover artist

7 posts in this topic

A tattoo artist friend is starting to do some blank sketch covers, and I am commissioning him to do one for me. I told him that I was planning on getting it graded by CGC, and he started asking me a litany of questions about how best to handle the book while doing the sketch (none of which I knew how to answer).

Obviously, the ideal would be to pick a 9.8 candidate and do the art while preserving its condition. Also, I've heard of some sketch cover artists actually using their art to cover up potential flaws in the book that would otherwise lower the grade.

Any sketch cover artists out there willing to provide some advice to aspiring sketch cover artists that will have their books graded through CGC?

I've done a few-what are his questions?

It's not so much questions as it is about describing a sketch cover artist's process to keep the book in 9.8 condition while doing the sketch. This presumes that the artist has a good record of sketch covers that come back 9.8.

you should also check with CGC -- with regard to "yellow" label requirements

You may not care - but if you just submit on your own - you will get a green label. If you are submitting just to protect the book - really would not matter.

You have to have an artist's agreement on file with CGC in order to do your own sketch covers.

+1

This is not exactly easy to attain either, I believe CGC will only give the yellow label if they witness the work/ signature.