• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance of Spawn...

43 posts in this topic

Spawn appeared on the back of a Todd McFarlane baseball card before he appeared in Rust, Previews, or Malibu Sun.

Malibu Sun 13 is a solicitation magazine. There was no story. Just preview art. Previews was a magazine.

The first comic book appearance of Spawn was in Spawn #1.

EDITED: However, as the owner of one of only three Malibu Sun 13s in CGC 9.8, I'm all in favor of any hype surrounding it! :devil:

Edited by newshane

Spawn appeared on the back of a Todd McFarlane baseball card before he appeared in Rust, Previews, or Malibu Sun.

Malibu Sun 13 is a solicitation magazine. There was no story. Just preview art. Previews was a magazine.

EDITED: However, as the owner of one of only three Malibu Sun 13s in CGC 9.8, I'm all in favor of any hype surrounding it! :devil:

Ah good times. You made me dig out my cards. I knew I had a few of those!

I do not recall what month those cards were released. It would have had to have been January or February 1992 for that to be true. The cards only have 1992 printed on them. Strange that the image is the cover of issue # 2. It does mention that Spawn is " upcoming" so we have to assume # 1 wasn't out yet, when printed.

Not that it matters, i'm not sure the exact date can be easily proven.

I have them all, cause I like Spawn and Todd (thumbs u

Spawn # 1 is the first appearance, as you said however. The rest is simply cool spawn stuff.

Ah good times. You made me dig out my cards. I knew I had a few of those!

I do not recall what month those cards were released. It would have had to have been January or February 1992 for that to be true. The cards only have 1992 printed on them. Strange that the image is the cover of issue # 2. It does mention that Spawn is " upcoming" so we have to assume # 1 wasn't out yet, when printed.

Not that it matters, i'm not sure the exact date can be easily proven.

I have them all, cause I like Spawn and Todd (thumbs u

Spawn # 1 is the first appearance, as you said however. The rest is simply cool spawn stuff which sells for about x 100 higher than Spawn #1.

Fixed :P

Edited by Aweandlorder

Strange that the image is the cover of issue # 2. It does mention that Spawn is " upcoming" so we have to assume # 1 wasn't out yet, when printed.

If you'll notice, the same image (cover for issue 2) appears in the preview cover (Malibu/Adventure Comics #1). I'd say that the image had been around for a while.

It's almost hard to blame BLMOdirect.

He did everything right with his listing , except the " 1st" he threw in at the end of the title. He didn't mention anything about it being a 1st in the description, just that it has a spawn ad.

It's obvious he has a few copies of this book, as he sold a few others early last month for cheap, and without the spawn mention.

Hard to say what the right thing to do would be. Sell it at his normal price, ignoring the hype? Pull the listing until the smoke clears? He definitely should not have put the " 1st " in there.

This listing was honest and fair in my book.

Thats fine... Let me have it

meh, Its still not an honest sale, as the buyer who purchased it was surely influenced by the other auction(s) or online forums.

I don't think anyone is randomly going to buy that issue for $100 out of nowhere without being influenced by something greater than what his listing stated.

Bringing this thread back to the front page so I can inform all the people that actually purchased, or are thinking of purchasing Rust # 1 April 1992 , It Is NOT the first ad in a comic book for Spawn. You have been lied to, by people trying to make a quick buck, who are not even informed enough to get a 1st ad appearance right.

There is a double page splash advertisement with the exact image used on the back cover of Malibu sun 13 in some comics dated March 1992.

1 month before Rust # 1, 2 months before Malibu sun 13.

None of this matters of course, because the first appearance of Spawn is in Spawn # 1.

But if you are going to blow your cash on a Spawn ad, do not buy Rust # 1.

Bringing this thread back to the front page so I can inform all the people that actually purchased, or are thinking of purchasing Rust # 1 April 1992 , It Is NOT the first ad in a comic book for Spawn. You have been lied to, by people trying to make a quick buck, who are not even informed enough to get a 1st ad appearance right.

There is a double page splash advertisement with the exact image used on the back cover of Malibu sun 13 in some comics dated March 1992.

None of this matters of course, because the first appearance of Spawn is in Spawn # 1.

so what comic is that then? hm

Edited by zupaphly

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again...go look up the books with similar "first appearances" of Batman and Superman, find prices and then compare to Action #1 and Detective #27.

The hobby weighed in on advertisement appearances LOOOOOOOONG ago.

There is a small, but very vocal, movement about to change long held hobby conventions regarding the definitions of terms like "first appearance."

For example...according to these folks, the first appearances of scores of characters wasn't in any comic book...it was in Previews.

Because, ya know...that's their first "appearance."

meh

Also...the listing that starts this thread is still in violation of eBay rules. You CANNOT sell "secret" items.

So you are now admitting that a change is occurring? :baiting:

Its a first step.

It just seems like a change is coming. I think its ridiculous as well, but it seems change is inevitable in some cases.

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again...go look up the books with similar "first appearances" of Batman and Superman, find prices and then compare to Action #1 and Detective #27.

There is a small, but very vocal, movement about to change long held hobby conventions regarding the definitions of terms like "first appearance."

For example...according to these folks, the first appearances of scores of characters wasn't in any comic book...it was in Previews.

meh

Also...the listing that starts this thread is still in violation of eBay rules. You CANNOT sell "secret" items.

Its a first step.

It just seems like a change is coming. I think its ridiculous as well, but it seems change is inevitable in some cases.

You have misred the statement, which has led to misunderstanding.

The movement is what is "about", not the timing of a "change."

As used in the phrase "out and about."

Substitute "around" for "about" if that will clarify it.

Original post has been edited for clarity.

This is all so hilarious to me. You realize this is an ad right? They spent time setting up the lettering, made an order form to subscribe, dotted cutout lines and all. Does anyone really think they would do all this and then place the ad in a single book? :screwy:

Here:

Every single book put out by adventure comics in April 1992 has either the single page ad or the double page ad. Rust # 1 is one of 8 books with the same ad. I have them all and have verified.

I own 3 of the 7 comics put out by Adventure comics in March 1992. They have the ad as well.

My assumption is, they created this ad to be placed in ALL their books for March, April and May of 1992 ( yes May issues have the ad as well )

Buy Spawn # 1.

Unless you want a 1st ad appearance that is tied by 6 other books.

all this advertisement stuff makes me go :facepalm:

This is all so hilarious to me. You realize this is an ad right? They spent time setting up the lettering, made an order form to subscribe, dotted cutout lines and all. Does anyone really think they would do all this and then place the ad in a single book? :screwy:

Here:

Every single book put out by adventure comics in April 1992 has either the single page ad or the double page ad. Rust # 1 is one of 8 books with the same ad. I have them all and have verified.

I own 3 of the 7 comics put out by Adventure comics in March 1992. They have the ad as well.

My assumption is, they created this ad to be placed in ALL their books for March, April and May of 1992 ( yes May issues have the ad as well )

Buy Spawn # 1.

Unless you want a 1st ad appearance that is tied by 6 other books.

all this advertisement stuff makes me go :facepalm:

i think its a joke too... but if someone is willing to buy it, why not try and find it... i take a book i bought for 1.00 and sell it for 30... looks like i have 29 to spend on a book i actually want...

meh

Its a first step.

You have misred the statement, which has led to misunderstanding.

The movement is what is "about", not the timing of a "change."

As used in the phrase "out and about."

Substitute "around" for "about" if that will clarify it.

Original post has been edited for clarity.

The previews argument is a tougher sell.

Id like sticking to the cameo argument. This movement is where

I see them getting more validation. They actually believe the cameo should be valued more.

Its not that I agree with it. Its just getting harder to argue it as values of books keep rising that were previously just cameo and worth a few $.