• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Modern 9.8 with tan pages?!?!!?

28 posts in this topic

This label blows my mind:

XMen214.jpg

They'll give a 9.8 to a book with TAN pages?!?! I don't see how the page whiteness can be included in THAT grade.

On a side note...this might be the worst page whiteness for a Modern on the entire planet. This is why you don't store comics in your shed!!! smirk.gif

Without even seeing the book...it CAN'T be a 9.8 with tan pages BUT in all fairness, we're using Overstreet guidelines to make that call. Look at the other end of the spectrum. A GOOD copy of a book, according to Overstreet guidelines, should not have PIECES and chunks out of the cover, and yet quite recently, we were trearted to a scan of an Action 1 graded 3.0 that had a piece missing from the front cover which I measured to be 5% (approx 1/20th) of it's cover surface area. The rest of the book was no better than G/VG to VG at best, so all considered, that's a pretty hefty sized piece to be missing from a book of that type to grade 3.0 overall.

I was pretty shocked to see that Action #1 in Heritage's May catalog too.

Whether or not you like the G+/chunk out policy (I don't), though, you

have to admit that CGC is being pretty consistent about it. Since then,

they have graded tonnes of GA books with missing pieces in the G+ to

G/VG range. In fact, they are so consistent that you could probably take

any slabbed 1.0, tear out a chunk of the fc, and resubmit for a 2.5.

when I lived in Florida it seemed a lot of my books were getting a tan even in my closet! Humidity is thy enemy and Florida is the Humid capital of the Universe!

Doesn't this tell us that CGC don't factor the page quality into the grade at all?
It appears to, yes. I first asked them if they factored page quality into the numerical grade in late 2001; I've wondered whether they used to not factor it in at some point in the past prior to me asking them. On this book, however, there's no chance it was graded early on when their policy may have been different. Since it's a Modern book with a blue top, it was graded sometime in 2002 or 2003 since they used to use the maroon label for Moderns prior to then.

Oh, wait, nevermind; I remember asking Mark Haspel if they have factored page whiteness in from the beginning, and he said yes.

The highest grade the new Overstreet Grading Guide lists as acceptable for Cream pages is 9.4; I can't remember what it says for tan but I'll be looking it up when I get to my copy again this evening. Regardless of what OGG says, I can't see a book with tan pages getting 9.8. I'm not sure of this, but I would have to assume that tan is the page whiteness stage before "slightly brittle". I haven't seen CGC use the word "brown" on a label yet, but it's definitely possible they use it.

Just checked the new Overstreet Grading Guide, and the highest grade they list tan/cream pages as being acceptable is Very Fine 8.0. For brown, the highest is Fine 6.0, and for brittle, the highest is Fair/Good 1.5.

Just checked the new Overstreet Grading Guide, and the highest grade they list tan/cream pages as being acceptable is Very Fine 8.0.

This is a huge grading howler then, is it not?

The book should have graded in the VF range. There has to come a point in grading where the aesthetics of the book take a back seat. If the book shows significant signs of aging (as in this case) then the grade HAS to somehow reflect that.

To me (and I'm sure to most) a 9.8 should look as if it was just printed.

Uh... as a writer, editor, and attorney (who types a lot in his day job), I see a typo as being "Ten to Cream Pages."

I don't understand how someone could fat-finger "White to Off-White Pages" into "Tan to Cream Pages." Please explain.