• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Annual #14 - Proof of Gambit's 1st published appearance within
3 3

620 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Wow, that's some bread. 

Even as an X-men fan, those copies would be out of my collection in about 2 seconds if I could get that. 

Patrick

Things have gone crazy lately, you could pick them up for $1,500 not that long ago.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:28 PM, Microchip said:

It'll be very interesting to watch, it'd be worth laying down a few predictions on final prices...

Annual 14. 6 9.9's

X-men 266 there are 15 9.9's.

Price range is anyones guess, but I'm thinking  they could go $10k up to $25k each.   The big thing here is the split.    Which one will go for more than the other.....

The final prices have come in, and my aggressive estimates have come out looking pretty good.   

The annotation on each book was never going to help the Annual 14 result, even with Comiclink trying to rectify the situation.

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 1.15.43 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 1.23.04 pm.png

It all comes down to the cover art, as far as the market is currently concerned.  These CGC 9.9 demonstrate this quite well, and the prices match the Hulk #180/#181 arguments.

Even if you can absolutely prove to everyone that X-Men Annual #14 is clearly earlier, he's not on the cover - $10,250 (Just like Hulk #180, the last CGC 9.4 sold for $9,000)

So, Uncanny X-Men #266 can be later and still quite a bit more valuable due to the cover. - $21,000 (Just like Hulk #181, the last CGC 9.4 sold for $21,655)

Edited by valiantman

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

It all comes down to the cover art

All? That's as ridiculous as saying the covers don't influence the value at all.

The value of ALF 48 all comes down to the cover. The relative value of things like UXMA 14/UXM 266, IH 180/IH 181, SPJO 134/FP 1 are far more complicated.

41 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
4 hours ago, valiantman said:

It all comes down to the cover art

All? That's as ridiculous as saying the covers don't influence the value at all.

The value of ALF 48 all comes down to the cover. The relative value of things like UXMA 14/UXM 266, IH 180/IH 181, SPJO 134/FP 1 are far more complicated.

Don't quote half a sentence.

It all comes down to the cover art, as far as the market is currently concerned.  We can establish that Annual #14 is the absolute clear winner of 1st appearance of Gambit, and the market still prefers X-Men #266.  Why?

It all comes down to the cover art, as far as the market is currently concerned. 

Edited by valiantman

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I quoted the relevant part.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

It all comes down to the cover art, as far as the market is currently concerned.

Still not even close. It is still far, far more complicated than that for any book that matters.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:
7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I quoted the relevant part.

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Still not even close. It is still far, far more complicated than that for any book that matters.

There is no way that buyers in this market are spending their time with "far, far more complicated" factors.  They're not.  You, of all people, should know that buyers are far too lazy.... boy.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There is no way that buyers in this market are spending their time with "far, far more complicated" factors.  They're not.  You, of all people, should know that buyers are far too lazy.... boy.

This market is only an escalation, not a completely separate entity that has absolutely no connection to the past. It's not like the relative values haven't been similar for a long time. (shrug)

8 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

This market is only an escalation, not a completely separate entity that has absolutely no connection to the past. It's not like the relative values haven't been similar for a long time. (shrug)

Correct - and if someday, the contents in the pages matter more in the market, we might see some pricing changes between the Annual 14 / X-Men 266 ratio. 

Currently, the prices are still heavily based upon the covers associated with Gambit's first appearances, with much less consideration for the interior page contents of those first appearances.

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Correct - and if someday, the contents in the pages matter more in the market, we might see some pricing changes between the Annual 14 / X-Men 266 ratio. 

Currently, the prices are still heavily based upon the covers associated with Gambit's first appearances, with much less consideration for the interior page contents of those first appearances.

Incorrect. Like Wolverine, Gambit wasn't relevant to the story in the issue that is his unqualified first appearance. There will never be a price correction based on the interiors because it would be nonsensical.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Incorrect. Like Wolverine, Gambit wasn't relevant to the story in the issue that is his unqualified first appearance. There will never be a price correction based on the interiors because it would be nonsensical.

Your opinion has been noted, as well as these facts from a post in this thread from 2015.

"Gambit appeared on at least 10 different pages in the Annual. He appeared in at least 17 panels & spoke in at least 8 of them. He was featured with Storm over a 3 page scene from pages 15-17."

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Your opinion has been noted, as well as these facts from a post in this thread from 2015.

The real fact is that UXMA 14 is great if you're a Martin Handford fan, but much less so if you're a Gambit fan.

On 6/2/2021 at 3:35 PM, Lazyboy said:

The real fact is that UXMA 14 is great if you're a Martin Handford fan, but much less so if you're a Gambit fan.

This is all of Gambit in the 40-page story, excluding the single page where he and Storm were outside/entering what was left of the mansion:

Gambit-UXMA14.thumb.jpg.5d4cd874c3af812d4f5077875f1859d5.jpg

He does not speak except on his first page with Storm. He does not act. He contributes nothing to the story. If you even want to see him you have to search.

WheresGambit.jpg.b2967e89bd20edf8cf44e3254b228eb9.jpg

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

This is all of Gambit in the 40-page story, excluding the single page where he and Storm were outside/entering what was left of the mansion:

Gambit-UXMA14.thumb.jpg.5d4cd874c3af812d4f5077875f1859d5.jpg

He does not speak except on his first page with Storm. He does not act. He contributes nothing to the story. If you even want to see him you have to search.

WheresGambit.jpg.b2967e89bd20edf8cf44e3254b228eb9.jpg

Was there several frames of Gambit? Yes

Was he named? Yes

First appearance = X- Men Annual 14

1st story appearance = X- Men 266

Rest my case.

On 6/9/2021 at 6:47 PM, oakman29 said:

Was there several frames of Gambit? Yes

Was he named? Yes

First appearance = X- Men Annual 14

1st story appearance = X- Men 266

Rest my case.

Of course it's his first appearance. That's a well-established fact. But, more accurately, it's his first brief appearance and Uncanny X-Men 266 is his first full appearance.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Logic cannot be applied to 1st appearances

Untrue.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

and what the market decides is the most valuable. 

Usually untrue.

On 6/11/2021 at 1:11 PM, Lazyboy said:

Of course it's his first appearance. That's a well-established fact. But, more accurately, it's his first brief appearance and Uncanny X-Men 266 is his first full appearance.

This. And having sold all my horses in this race, I am a big fan of first full appearances, particularly if the story revolves around the new character and there is a dominant cover appearance. :sumo: 

But if I suddenly came upon a virgin hoard of Annual 14s, I'd change my tune in a NY minute. :bigsmile: