• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Annual #14 - Proof of Gambit's 1st published appearance within
3 3

620 posts in this topic

You don't even need the Marvel catalog...here's the info from the US Copyright office:

X-Men Annual #14 (part 4): Issues Registered:

v. 1, no. 14, 1990. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-05-29; Reg. 1990-06-19; TX0002843529

Here's the X-Men #266 info:

v. 1, no. 266, late Aug90. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-06-19; Reg. 1990-08-27; TX0002882810

You don't even need the Marvel catalog...here's the info from the US Copyright office:

v. 1, no. 14, 1990. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-05-29; Reg. 1990-06-19; TX0002843529

v. 1, no. 266, late Aug90. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-06-19; Reg. 1990-08-27; TX0002882810

but i think the stuff scanned showed that this was not an unintentional early release/publishing mishap or any of that (not that it should matter to us)

but i think the stuff scanned showed that this was not an unintentional early release/publishing mishap or any of that (not that it should matter to us)

The US Copyright info shows the same thing.

i don't think the copyright register shows intent, just when stuff happened. the order catalogue thingamadoodle shows pretty clearly these release dates were intentional, not some interm accidentally switching the forms on 14 and 266 or some other silliness.

marvel simply did not care that things were out of continuity.

Boscoe had some scans to the 5 or so panels he was featured in posted in an older thread, but the links are dead, maybe he'll repost them here.

I should have those still. I was just clearing out photobucket at the time.

Give me this weekend and I will post them here. It is far from a cameo.

i don't think the copyright register shows intent, just when stuff happened. .

These are filed with the US Copyright office, to protect the copyrights of the work. They are vitally important. You would be hard pressed to find a "publishing mishap", as far as Marvel is concerned, with the US Copyright office. It is more compelling evidence than the "coming soon" catalog, which has no legal ramifications. Filings with the US Copyright office are anything but "unintentional."

It's close. He appears on multiple panels on multiple pages. The panel I posted on the copper age comics thread shows his entire body. Is he referred to by name?

He is named.

Storm is talking trash about how he is dressed and mentions his name

"...and calls himself Gambit"

yes, i'm familiar, but the registration is after-the-fact here (although maybe they file something before publication? i forget how it works exactly). anyway, i'm not disagreeing with you about anything. i think that catalogue was a nice find by awean, why you got to be so mean?

Gambit appears on 9 ( yes NINE ) pages in 14 total panels. Do not confuse him with Franklin Richards who is also wearing a trench coat in this issue.

He is named.

Almost gets into a fight with Cable.

Mentions that he likes the name " Mr. Sinister"

Storm is joking about how he dresses.

He talks trash about how some x-men don't know how to hit.

It's not a cameo.

It's as full of an appearance as one gets until you start talking about a " featured role". He isn't featured in this book, then again, nobody is, so I guess every character in this book, just makes a cameo? lol

Edited by Silverdream

yes, i'm familiar, but the registration is after-the-fact here (although maybe they file something before publication? i forget how it works exactly). anyway, i'm not disagreeing with you about anything. i think that catalogue was a nice find by awean, why you got to be so mean?

It was, an excellent find, that corroborates other information (notice...the dates are exactly the same.)

No one's being mean. You're overthinking it again.

It's definitely his first appearance.

I've always thought so, anyway...

When I finally had the cash to go back and buy all the Copper books I wanted, this book was listed because of that fact.

I don't think the market will ever change ("they" love them some cover appearances), but it is still a "key" book in my mind.

If you are a Gambit fan, you get both, along with #267.

If you are a Key guy or "speculator", you only get #266.

Edited by vikingreed

Gambit appears on 9 ( yes NINE ) pages in 14 total panels. Do not confuse him with Franklin Richards who is also wearing a trench coat in this issue.

He is named.

Almost gets into a fight with Cable.

Mentions that he likes the name " Mr. Sinister"

Storm is joking about how he dresses.

He talks trash about how some x-men don't know how to hit.

It's not a cameo.

Its drawn by Arthur fu@@n Adams!!!

It's as full of an appearance as one gets until you start talking about a " featured role". He isn't featured in this book, then again, nobody is, so I guess every character in this book, just makes a cameo? lol

Fixed/added