• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Annual #14 - Proof of Gambit's 1st published appearance within
3 3

620 posts in this topic

So is it a cameo or a full? No doubt the appearance pre-dates 266.

Boscoe had some scans of the 5 or so panels he was featured in posted in an older thread, but the links are dead, maybe he'll repost them here.

Just to get the correct information posted, Gambit appeared on at least 10 different pages in the Annual. He appeared in at least 17 panels & spoke in at least 8 of them. He was featured with Storm over a 3 page scene from pages 15-17. I use the term "at least" because these were the appearances I noted, there could be more in some of the larger crowd scenes.

This is not a cameo.

Reason why Gambit is a badass #1 -

From #267

Gambit07.jpg

Storm throws a knife while waking from a nightmare.

He catches it by the blade(!!) while dropping his cigarette, then catches the cig in the same hand.

Come on... That is cool. Especially to a 12-15 year old, haha.

I wonder if THIS conversation will have any effect?

Folks, this has literally been argued about for 25 years.

For all those 25 years, #266 has won.

Will this turn the tide?

Will anyone care?

It's as real as a first appearance gets, without being on the cover.

hm

Personally, I had resigned myself to #266 many years ago.

It's definitely his first appearance.

I don't think the market will ever change ("they" love them some cover appearances), but it is still a "key" book in my mind.

If you are a Gambit fan, you get both, along with #267.

If you are a Key guy or "speculator", you only get #266.

I agree.

One of the first comics I ever bought as a kid. I bought it in an airport newsstand waiting to board a plane when I was like 11, and read it many times over afterwards. I just remember not knowing what the hell was going on as all the characters and story line were really confusing to me. But then again, that is the X-Men for the uninitiated.

Will this conversation change anything? Well, if it helps CGC realize the information on their label is incorrect, and they decide to list Annual #14 as Gambit's first appearance, then it could.

CGC finally changed the label of Forever People #1 to say "First full appearance of Darkseid" after years of it just saying "Darkseid appearance", so I guess it's possible if enough people are vocal about it.

Found the photos.

1) Cover: No Gambit appearance. Though the design of Ahab sure hinted at this being Gambit in the future.

th_sales_books012_zps9f57efb3.jpg

2) Page 15: Gambit appears in six (6) panels, along with his handle 'Gambit' being used.

th_sales_books004_zpsbadef8ef.jpg

3) Page 16: Gambit clearly appears in a shot looking towards Cable. There is also a panel of his boot as the New Mutants face off with him.

th_sales_books005_zps28da151e.jpg

4) Page 17: Gambit appears in one panel as Ororo tells everyone what happened to her, and how she came to meet Gambit. This is where UXM 265-267 is first referenced.

th_sales_books006_zps5d2c125f.jpg

5) Page 19: Gambit is more blended in now with the rest of the heroes, so not really a primary focus of the story. He appears in two panels.

th_sales_books007_zpsb3b0bff4.jpg

6) Page 27: Gambit appears over Mister Fantastic's right shoulder.

th_sales_books008_zps3c9f6ebf.jpg

7) Page 31: Gambit appears in one panel, including a quick statement that doesn't hint to his accent.

th_sales_books009_zps4e1ed200.jpg

8) Page 37: Gambit appears in one panel as a background character.

th_sales_books010_zps8f1359a5.jpg

9) Page 43: Gambit appears in one panel as he observes Rachel departing.

th_sales_books014_zps51831467.jpg

10) Page 45: Final page with Gambit shown. It is Gambit again facing away from the reader.

th_sales_books011_zpsfd89e60c.jpg

So nine pages consisting of fifteen appearances if you do not count the boot panel.

I have always felt that when storm gives the explanation of how they (gambit) got there, that was the SET UP to the BACK story that was THEN revealed to the reader in 266-267 AFTER annual 14.

A lot of books like this back in the day did not have this type of popular Internet forum to widely discuss a characters status. The industry has a lot of wrong right now when it comes to 1st apps/cameo.

I remember reading this when I was in 7th grade and wondering who this gambit guy was, then marvel explained it to me, in the next issue of x-men. Never understood this argument beside the 266 cover. Then again, I also read Cap at the time, and don't understand how 362 is not the first crossbones when I read it either, 360 just made me say "who was that?" Then that cameo question was answer by marvel in 362. so what do I know.

Frankly, the most disturbing part of this whole conversation is this obsession with what the label notes say on slabs...

:screwy:

Label chasers look at more than the numerical grade now.

Which is very unfortunate, because the label notes are subject to so much change.

At some point, if it gets too silly, CGC may stop doing label notes altogether.

Frankly, the most disturbing part of this whole conversation is this obsession with what the label notes say on slabs...

:screwy:

Is it label chasing or people thinking they will make more money on flipping the annual if it gets re-labelled? (shrug)