X-Men Annual #14 - Proof of Gambit's 1st published appearance within
2 2

521 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

You guys ever read Marvel's original Star Wars series?

Towards the end of the series, there's this big new character named Bey that turns out to be a childhood friend of Han's. He's hyped up in the stories as being a super famous, important figure in the rebellion. A big new character!

The three-part storyline introducing him was supposed to run through #98-100.

However, there was some production delay. So they made the completely bizarre decision to publish #99 and #100 as planned, and then print the first part of the three-part arc in #101 as a flashback! For #98, they just printed a random fill-in inventory story. 

#101 was written first, intended to come out first, and the story comes first chronologically in continuity. So does that make #101 his first appearance, even though he already appeared in #99 and #100? 

 

 

Interesting. it is fickle and I don't think that there is certain parameters, I think each situation is unique...

That said those are interesting facts about the Star Wars comic...

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

You guys ever read Marvel's original Star Wars series?

Towards the end of the series, there's this big new character named Bey that turns out to be a childhood friend of Han's. He's hyped up in the stories as being a super famous, important figure in the rebellion. A big new character!

The three-part storyline introducing him was supposed to run through #98-100.

However, there was some production delay. So they made the completely bizarre decision to publish #99 and #100 as planned, and then print the first part of the three-part arc in #101 as a flashback! For #98, they just printed a random fill-in inventory story. 

#101 was written first, intended to come out first, and the story comes first chronologically in continuity. So does that make #101 his first appearance, even though he already appeared in #99 and #100? 

 

 

giphy-11.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

You guys ever read Marvel's original Star Wars series?

No.

1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

#101 was written first, intended to come out first, and the story comes first chronologically in continuity. So does that make #101 his first appearance, even though he already appeared in #99 and #100?

No.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

 

The three-part storyline introducing him was supposed to run through #98-100.

However, there was some production delay. So they made the completely bizarre decision to publish #99 and #100 as planned, and then print the first part of the three-part arc in #101 as a flashback! For #98, they just printed a random fill-in inventory story. 

#101 was written first, intended to come out first, and the story comes first chronologically in continuity. So does that make #101 his first appearance, even though he already appeared in #99 and #100? 

 

 

First means first, not third.  This really is not hard to understand.  A first appearance refers to publication order, not continuity order and not popularity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

Then why is this thread on page 26?

Annual #14 is clearly Gambit's first appearance!

I can't explain much of the thinking in the Copper section.  But, Annual 14 came first and is the first appearance.  26 pages was not necessary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 11:14 AM, Crimebuster said:

You guys ever read Marvel's original Star Wars series?

Towards the end of the series, there's this big new character named Bey that turns out to be a childhood friend of Han's. He's hyped up in the stories as being a super famous, important figure in the rebellion. A big new character!

The three-part storyline introducing him was supposed to run through #98-100.

However, there was some production delay. So they made the completely bizarre decision to publish #99 and #100 as planned, and then print the first part of the three-part arc in #101 as a flashback! For #98, they just printed a random fill-in inventory story. 

#101 was written first, intended to come out first, and the story comes first chronologically in continuity. So does that make #101 his first appearance, even though he already appeared in #99 and #100? 

 

 

Yes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2018 at 4:24 AM, Crimebuster said:

Then why is this thread on page 26?

Annual #14 is clearly Gambit's first appearance!

I'm in all the way on this one.  Has CGC updated the notes on the books lately?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Microchip said:

I'm in all the way on this one.  Has CGC updated the notes on the books lately?

As far as I know it still labels it as being published before UXM 266, without actually calling it a first appearance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

As far as I know it still labels it as being published before UXM 266, without actually calling it a first appearance.

Thats frustrating to hear.   Is there anyway of getting it sorted with CGC?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Microchip said:

Thats frustrating to hear.   Is there anyway of getting it sorted with CGC?

What's to get sorted? Their label is accurate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2021 at 5:49 AM, Wolverinex said:

Just like hulk 180. The market just loves the sweet 266 cover 

Agreed.  I much prefer a 266 over the annual. 

Patrick 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, since I have an Annual 14 and don't have 266, I'm a bit biased but curious to see where those 9.9's land. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rexinnih said:

Well, since I have an Annual 14 and don't have 266, I'm a bit biased but curious to see where those 9.9's land. 

It'll be very interesting to watch, it'd be worth laying down a few predictions on final prices...

Annual 14. 6 9.9's

X-men 266 there are 15 9.9's.

 

Price range is anyones guess, but I'm thinking  they could go $10k up to $25k each.   The big thing here is the split.    Which one will go for more than the other.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Microchip said:

It'll be very interesting to watch, it'd be worth laying down a few predictions on final prices...

Annual 14. 6 9.9's

X-men 266 there are 15 9.9's.

 

Price range is anyones guess, but I'm thinking  they could go $10k up to $25k each.   The big thing here is the split.    Which one will go for more than the other.....

Wow, that's some bread. 

Even as an X-men fan, those copies would be out of my collection in about 2 seconds if I could get that. 

Patrick

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2