X-Men Annual #14 - Proof of Gambit's 1st published appearance within
2 2

521 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

You guys ever read Marvel's original Star Wars series?

Towards the end of the series, there's this big new character named Bey that turns out to be a childhood friend of Han's. He's hyped up in the stories as being a super famous, important figure in the rebellion. A big new character!

The three-part storyline introducing him was supposed to run through #98-100.

However, there was some production delay. So they made the completely bizarre decision to publish #99 and #100 as planned, and then print the first part of the three-part arc in #101 as a flashback! For #98, they just printed a random fill-in inventory story. 

#101 was written first, intended to come out first, and the story comes first chronologically in continuity. So does that make #101 his first appearance, even though he already appeared in #99 and #100? 

Interesting. it is fickle and I don't think that there is certain parameters, I think each situation is unique...

That said those are interesting facts about the Star Wars comic...

19 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Towards the end of the series, there's this big new character named Bey that turns out to be a childhood friend of Han's. He's hyped up in the stories as being a super famous, important figure in the rebellion. A big new character!

However, there was some production delay. So they made the completely bizarre decision to publish #99 and #100 as planned, and then print the first part of the three-part arc in #101 as a flashback! For #98, they just printed a random fill-in inventory story. 

#101 was written first, intended to come out first, and the story comes first chronologically in continuity. So does that make #101 his first appearance, even though he already appeared in #99 and #100? 

giphy-11.gif

1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

No.

No.

3 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

First means first, not third.  This really is not hard to understand.  A first appearance refers to publication order, not continuity order and not popularity. 

Then why is this thread on page 26?

Annual #14 is clearly Gambit's first appearance!

I can't explain much of the thinking in the Copper section.  But, Annual 14 came first and is the first appearance.  26 pages was not necessary.

On 10/4/2018 at 11:14 AM, Crimebuster said:

Yes.

On 10/6/2018 at 4:24 AM, Crimebuster said:

Then why is this thread on page 26?

Annual #14 is clearly Gambit's first appearance!

I'm in all the way on this one.  Has CGC updated the notes on the books lately?

39 minutes ago, Microchip said:

I'm in all the way on this one.  Has CGC updated the notes on the books lately?

As far as I know it still labels it as being published before UXM 266, without actually calling it a first appearance.

6 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

As far as I know it still labels it as being published before UXM 266, without actually calling it a first appearance.

Thats frustrating to hear.   Is there anyway of getting it sorted with CGC?

4 hours ago, Microchip said:

Thats frustrating to hear.   Is there anyway of getting it sorted with CGC?

What's to get sorted? Their label is accurate.

On 3/12/2021 at 5:49 AM, Wolverinex said:

Just like hulk 180. The market just loves the sweet 266 cover 

Agreed.  I much prefer a 266 over the annual. 

Patrick 

Well, since I have an Annual 14 and don't have 266, I'm a bit biased but curious to see where those 9.9's land. 

9 hours ago, rexinnih said:

Well, since I have an Annual 14 and don't have 266, I'm a bit biased but curious to see where those 9.9's land. 

It'll be very interesting to watch, it'd be worth laying down a few predictions on final prices...

Annual 14. 6 9.9's

X-men 266 there are 15 9.9's.

Price range is anyones guess, but I'm thinking  they could go $10k up to $25k each.   The big thing here is the split.    Which one will go for more than the other.....

4 hours ago, Microchip said:

It'll be very interesting to watch, it'd be worth laying down a few predictions on final prices...

Annual 14. 6 9.9's

X-men 266 there are 15 9.9's.

Price range is anyones guess, but I'm thinking  they could go $10k up to $25k each.   The big thing here is the split.    Which one will go for more than the other.....

Wow, that's some bread. 

Even as an X-men fan, those copies would be out of my collection in about 2 seconds if I could get that. 

Patrick