• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why oh why didn't I keep those two! posted by jump_ace

9 posts in this topic

Batman 608 RRP CGC 9.8 and Wolverine #1 (2010) Deadpool Variant CGC 9.8.

So, my wife and I had our first son in August and we saved up some cash to let her work part time as a Kindergarten teacher this year.

We've been doing okay, our son suffered a stroke when he was born and needs some help coordinating his right arm and hand. That's been going well, well enough that my wife doesn't feel too stressed out and she gave me the OK to get my comic book collection going again (yay!).

So here I am, deciding what I want to collect (again, as I literally sold all my comics to pay off my student loans 2-ish years ago). I decide I should start at the top and work my way down, so I bought an AF15 CGC 4.0 OW form a fellow Boardie (I had to get a small loan to pay for a portion of it as we didn't have enough saved at the time). I then got my essential Venom books; ASM 298, 299, 300 and 316. These are my go to, must have books that I hope to never sell again and pass down to my son (hopefully along with a ton of other books).

The goal is so he has a cushion to rely on when he gets out into the real world, in case he gets laid off or needs money for a house, or a more reliable car; whatever he needs. My collection will also double as my retirement fund, in addition to my 401(k).

So now that that is all squared away, I'm left wondering what to collect next. So I compile two lists, a list of my favorite books and ones that I had before (uhh, yea prices went up!). And also rarer modern books that I 'think' will hold their value and/or go up in the next 20-30 years.

I decided to go for the rarer books, mainly because they don't come up for sale very often. It's strange, there's a ton of AF15's on ebay all the time, many which consider to be a grail, yet no one is selling their modern rare books. I makes me think everyone is doing the same thing lol

Anyway, so going with my top-down approach, I've been trying to locate some of the modern rarities, to no avail; Batman 608 RRP CGC 9.8 and Wolverine 1 (2010) Deadpool Variant. Granted I can't afford both, but surely one must be out there waiting for a new home :P

I don't mind waiting for the books, I just wish I knew how long to wait! lol

In the meantime, I've been getting a few Batman Hush books on the cheap here and there in hopes to one day take the #1 spot again.

Jerome

See more journals by jump_ace

Wow Jerome, that's a lot of stuff you got goin on. Glad you wrote. First, congrats on your new baby! It's an adventure man, and I gotta tell you I used to hear people say "they grow up so fast" and think yeah ok whatever, but no for real...they grow up SO fast. Enjoy every minute. Good to hear his health is improving too.

Very admirable that you were able to part with your collection to be all responsible and stuff and pay off the student loans. I'm sure it feels great not having that hanging over your head. You've started collecting again with a bang that's for sure. Look forward to watching you rebuild your collection.

Now, this is the story all about how

My life got flipped-turned upside down

And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there

I'll tell you how I aquired the Wolverine 1 comic book

So, my pursuit of the Wolverine #1 Deadpool book started out with the Emeraly City Comicon this year (2015). I took the time to make a 'hitlist' of modern rarities that I want to collect, with books like the Wolverine 1, Batman 608, Batman New 52 1, Spidey 667, 678, etc. leading the charge. I was a little behind on time and had to stop and get gas and take out some cash. By the time I arrived in downtown Seattle that Friday morning, the con had already started. It took me 90 minutes to go 4 miles to get to the convention center, then another hour+ just to find a place to park. All the while, I really had to go to the bathroom, I can't stress that part enough with the drive up from Portland.

I went to every booth with my sheet (which included pictures btw!) and no one had any of the issues I was after. Sadly seller booths got replaced with cosplay, swag, t-shirts and the like. The whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze, at...all. So I don't think I'll be returning unless I just want to go hand out with some friends, but I can't do big business there anymore : / Worst of all (my fault for setting high expectations - ones that were always met in previous years though) no Wolverine 1 or Batman 608. *sad panda* But thats how life goes, I just have to be patient.

Fast forward a couple months, and I get a reply from a boardie about a Batman 608. Well, I misread it thinking he had a 608 in 9.8 that he could sell me. So I begin to sell off a bunch of stuff I no longer need/use. Like my PS3, my i7 tower, a few old laptops, some graded books I'm willing to part with aka easy to get again later, etc. Turns out I just misread his PM, he was just letting me know the GPA for the book, doh! So I had some extra cash to go 'play' with, no biggie.

Soon after (just a week ago or so now), a Wolverine 1 SS on ebay sells for $3,200, a record high I believe. That brings about a bunch of other issues out of the woodwork. And at the time I sorta hoped I bought the SS, but hindsight is 20/20.

Anyway, a Uni appears on ebay for a start price of $3,000. So my plan was simple, I wanted to pay just $3,000 so I offered the seller to save on fees and paypal me directly, but he declined. Then my plan got simple; just get the comic for openers ($3,000) and if someone else is interested, so be it. The wife wasn't too happy that I wanted to spend so much. But, because I sold some stuff we could afford it.

So, I put my bid in with about 5min left and of course I got sniped on ebay, with <1 second left, by $50. But I had to stick to my guns and keep the price at or below $3,000.

Bummer.

The next day a boardie links to another boardies sales thread and low and behold, it's a Wolvie #1. We negotiate a price and the book is on the way! Yay!

That is, until I get a call from my wife and she has been home all day (since noon and the mail comes well after noon) and the lazy USPS guy just left a 'sorry I missed you' note without ever knocking on the door or ringing the doorbell. "That Lazy *spoon*!" lol So I get to wait one more day before getting my grubby hands on the book. Small price to pay as long as it arrived safely though (thumbs u

So my search for that Batman 608 RRP continues, maybe next chapter I'll be able to write about how I got that :wishluck:

Jerome

Well still no Batman 608 RRP, that book is set to explode on the scene when someone puts up a 9.8 Uni/SS since it's been nearly a year since the last sale on ebay I think.

I decided to totally shift gears for my collection this time around and sold my AF15 to start collecting my 'Modern Grails' (favorite/rare/high value modern age) set. I'm nearly half-way there, but it's slow moving. Especially since my wallet needs a break lol

I did manage to find an ASM 678 MJ variant raw on ebay a few months back. I sent it to joeypost to get pressed and it came back a 9.8! Soo excited for that one. In all honesty, I've seen better 9.6's, 9.4's and 9.2's, but hey a 9.8 is a 9.8.

Until next time....

Jerome

Well as much as I miss that AF15 I sold to start this Modern Age collection, I don't feel too bad for selling it. I had a thought the other day...people claim that Modern Age books are what will cause the next big comic industry collapse, because it did before. Maybe history will repeat itself, maybe not.

I think they may be mistaken. While MA books certainly could not help if that were to happen, I'd actually blame super mega key books like AF15, IH181 as the cause. Their values have just skyrocketed in the past 4 years-ish. I bought my first AF15 CGC 4.5 with light MC for $6,000 in 2009 and sold it for $9,000 in 2011 with the rest of my books to pay off my student loans. That same book now would be pushing $15,000 especially with the Stan Lee SS; a 2.5 book just broke the $10,000 mark! Besides personal bias and popular belief that tends to spread like wildfire, I see no difference between MA books that sell for crazy money and an AF15 that used to be cheaper just 6 months ago. Few, if any may agree, but that is what I firmly believe.

So, with that said, I'm glad I sold my AF15 for this collection. I can buy another AF15 any day of the week, those are easily found. Items in my collection aren't. So I'm hoping I am getting in on the ground floor (so to speak) with these books and maybe in 30 years they'll really be worth something (shrug) Maybe yes, maybe the same, who knows.

Speaking of my collection, my Modern Age Grail search has take a huge leap toward being completed. All of the hard to find books on my list are now found! Thats right, I have finally bought a copy of Batman 608 RRP CGC 9.8!!!!!!!!!!! :whee:

Batman_608_RRP.jpg

The other books on my MA list are all pretty readily available; WD #1, Wolverine #66 Sketch, YTLM #1 and a few others. TTFN!

Jerome