• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Silver Surfer covers?
1 1

68 posts in this topic

Maybe I'm just partial, but it seems the covers of mid to late silver age books just had better composition and color. As we move into the early bronze age and beyond, the covers started looking cluttered and the artwork was just not as good. Also, when Marvel moved to that banner across the top of the book, the cover aesthetics were ruined as far as I'm concerned.

2c

These DeMatteis/Muth issues are gorgeous – I never saw them before! :)

Thanks for posting them… are the stories good? I quite like DeMatteis, but not always.

Don't have the Muth issues, but late-run Surfers were a terrible read... they revealed that Zenn-La was long gone, and that Galactus had maintained the world as a a hologram to make Surfer happy. Then they killed Galactus. Clearly, none of that trash stuck.

I have to go with FF 72. I honestly dont see why SS4 is as popular as it is. It seems all its value is in the cover art. Im not that fond of heroes fighting heroes, though back in the silver age its more fresh and enjoyable then modern things like civil war. By no means do I think the art is bad or that it isnt an iconic image of the silver age, but I just dont think a heroes iconic cover should be a depiction of them being tricked to fight a fellow hero.

You've never read a real copy of the book, have you? It's pages and pages of gorgeous John Buscema art, set in Asgard. The whole book looks that good.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:43 PM, flynavy807 said:

Not only am I resurrecting this thread, I am making my first stab at inserting a pic (crosses fingers). I own TTA 93 and SS 4, which are as iconic as it gets, but even though modern I've always been a big fan of Hulk 464.

Incredible_Hulk_Vol_1_464.webp

Here is my favorite bronze age Surfer cover from my collection. 

20220913_154648.jpg

SS was my favorite character growing up. I had FF49 and SS14 hanging in the living room of my first house, before I got paranoid about light and took them down.... Also, I had just gotten married and my wife was realizing she would always have to share my attention with a flying silver guy. 

Anyway, my favorite cover is hard. I always think of my comic collecting in phases and each phase had a different nostalgic value. I grew up reading volume 2. So SS#1 and 50 are what I enjoyed as a kid.  

When I started collecting FF49, FF72 and SS 1-18 were some of the first titles I collected. I got all of those early and decades later I still have them all....at this point I can't say that about many other of those early purchases. 

I think FF72 is probably my personal favorite. I've always been a sucker for those deep red covers. Jack at his best.  

Outside of SS 1 and SS4, I think allot of titles in the original run are underappreciated. I've always loved #5 and #8. 

IMG_20210328_121019610.jpg

Edited by KCOComics
Updated with photo

Many iconic SS covers and Can't argue with any but I have always lover SS # 15.I had a coverless #2 that I read the spoon out of. SS #15 (maybe 14) was the first cover I remember seeing.My favorite character is Thor so #193 naturally finds a spot on this list.

Honorable mention goes to MGC #35