• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Few Select Splash/Full Pages or Full 22 Page Story?

13 posts in this topic

I'm relatively new to the forums here and was hoping to through a question out there and get some feedback. I have the opportunity to buy a full issue (22 pages) of my favorite series of all time from a single artist. I also have the opportunity to buy several splash/full pages and a few select panel pages from a few different issues in the series from several different artists.

If you were in my shoes, what do you do?

The opportunity to own a complete issue is something I may not be able to pass up.

buy several splash/full pages and a few select panel pages from a few different issues in the series from several different artists.

Better to have more examples from your favorite series of all time from different artist.

Only buy the complete issue if you really want it/if it's a favorite issue. Don't buy it just because it's an opportunity to own a complete issue.

2c

Appreciate the feedback so far and will update this thread as I go along. Right now I'm just starting to massage the numbers of the complete story with the artist.

If it all works the way I hope it will, I may be able to get the story and 1 or 2 other full/splash pages from other artists. Then hopefully I can get the artists to put some pieces aside for me for a future purchase. At the very least, the right of first refusal or the ability to make a better offer if they get one.

Appreciate the feedback so far and will update this thread as I go along. Right now I'm just starting to massage the numbers of the complete story with the artist.

If it all works the way I hope it will, I may be able to get the story and 1 or 2 other full/splash pages from other artists. Then hopefully I can get the artists to put some pieces aside for me for a future purchase. At the very least, the right of first refusal or the ability to make a better offer if they get one.

sounds like a plan :wishluck:

Complete stories almost always get broken up and are rarely put back together. The very cool opportunity to get one intact direct from the source, probably at the best price it will ever be, should never be discounted! Which doesn't mean you shouldn't negotiate and do whatever it takes to get the best reasonable deal for yourself!

Looks like you're headed in that direction anyway, so I just wanted to add further encouragement.

Complete stories almost always get broken up and are rarely put back together. The very cool opportunity to get one intact direct from the source, probably at the best price it will ever be, should never be discounted! Which doesn't mean you shouldn't negotiate and do whatever it takes to get the best reasonable deal for yourself!

Looks like you're headed in that direction anyway, so I just wanted to add further encouragement.

Exactly!

Again, I just want to thank everyone for the feedback so far. I plan on being active on these forums moving forward so the responses are a nice welcome.

I'm currently negotiating and am hopeful we can strike a deal. I'll update this thread when there's more to say.

meh, I'll get the splashes and covers and forget the rest.

Yeah it's kinda kool to have a full story, but at some point it'll always get broken up. Tbh I've never understood the zeitgeist for wanting a full story, if you liked the story you'd read the comic anyways, plus you'll have a collection completely dominated by pages of talking heads with only a nominal value that's only realised if you sell as a complete story again.

Who's gonna frame or display 22 pages when a cover or splash takes up a fraction of the available space.

Who's gonna frame or display 22 pages when a cover or splash takes up a fraction of the available space.

Heh heh. The display 'question' is a joke. Unless you're truly casual about this thing and can walk away after picking up a handful of decorative pieces...you'll end up owning a lot more art than you can ever physically display. What's it matter if your Itoyas (or shoeboxes) are filled with covers and splashes or panel pages? Further some fans prefer panel pages as that's where the storytelling is, not so much covers and splashes.