• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 251 Club
1 1

117 posts in this topic

Okay...I posted my raw copy earlier this year. See below...

2ry57io.jpg

I left it with my LCS to get cleaned, pressed and graded thinking that this puppy would come back at least as a 9.0. I get it back in early May and it comes back as 7.5...long story short, it wasn't pressed or cleaned, but just sent as is. So, I gather a few other comics I need cleaned, pressed & graded & I send them to a fellow boardie who is well known for his pressing prowess. This is what I got back & I'm very happy. (Apologies...my scanner isn't the best, but you get the gist.)

2jd2vzn.jpg

Edited by chico_suave_58

I'm perplexed at how this book has escalated in the last few years. In 2013, a CGC 9.4 was a $450-$500 book. In 2014, it was suddenly an $800 book. This year, there are two sales around $1100, and most recently at $1500.

All this with no external factors. It seems that it's risen in value purely for the classic cover and story. Truly an anomaly in an otherwise Hollywood-fueled hobby.

I'm perplexed at how this book has escalated in the last few years. In 2013, a CGC 9.4 was a $450-$500 book. In 2014, it was suddenly an $800 book. This year, there are two sales around $1100, and most recently at $1500.

All this with no external factors. It seems that it's risen in value purely for the classic cover and story. Truly an anomaly in an otherwise Hollywood-fueled hobby.

I believe it's due to the whole wave of collectors that entered the hobby. For the most part they value it equally to BA books like Batman 232, Iron Man 55, Green Lantern 76, etc..

It might also be in part that many don't see DC as having the best selection of Bronze key issues. So suddenly a cool BA, Adams book like this begins to gain even more momentum as prices continue to soar.

I've also heard a ton of people call it to be the "1st Modern Age Joker.."

Yep.

I paid $850 for my CGC 9.6 2-3 years ago, recently sold it for ALOT more then that.

Yep.

I paid $850 for my CGC 9.6 2-3 years ago, recently sold it for ALOT more then that.

I think the 9.4 $1500 sales are weird. On eBay there's 2 white page copies for $1400 and no one is buying. So I am assuming the book maybe caps at $1100 or $1200 at most. If I am wrong, go pick up the $1400 dollar eBay copies ?

So, as far as I can tell, the last time(s) the Joker actually murdered was in Batman #9 and Detective Comics #45. I don't know which murder was actually the last murder, but he didn't kill all the way through the rest of the Golden Age, all of the Silver Age, and started murdering again with this issue. The rest of the time he was just ridiculous. Thank God for Denny O'Neil for getting him out of the Cesar Romero framework and back to the insane killer he was born to be. Hopefully, Jared Leto doesn't ruin the whole thing.

This.

I thought it might hit 9.2 with a gift grade, but I am happy with it as is. I bought it from a major dealer as a NM, but it did not look like it when I opened the bag. However, since the price was right I was not going to return it. lol

Edited by kimik