• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's HE-MAN MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE starring Kyle Allen (2023)
1 1

60 posts in this topic

‘Masters of the Universe’: McG Talks Tone, Characters, Setting, and More

Back in January, McG became the latest director to board Masters of the Universe, and he recently spoke to IGN about his vision for the movie. He says that they’re currently polishing the -script and that “We have a big meeting with Sony regarding prep of the movie on Wednesday.”

When it comes to casting the film, McG says he isn’t there yet, but he is aware that Kellan Lutz (Twilight) has been campaigning on social media for the role of He-Man/Prince Adam.

"We haven’t cast the role yet, but I like Kellan very much. Obviously, we need a talented entertainer, but we also need a certain physicality, which he embodies. He’ll be considered very, very closely. We haven’t gotten to the casting process yet. Kellan’s a good guy, and we had a great meeting, and he’s passionate about He-Man, he’s passionate about the Adam story. He really knows a lot about it. I was charmed by his focus and intensity. He’ll be considered very, very carefully. We’re just not there yet. We’ve got to get the movie on its feet, then we’ll cast the movie."

When it comes to Skeletor, McG cautioned that he’s not looking for a big actor as much as he’s looking for the right actor:

"I think the characters are bigger than any given actor. I think the right actor is going to be what’s most important. I’m not really hung up on, “Oh, it’s got to be a star.” I just want someone who’s right for it. I enjoy working with big movie stars. I enjoy working with discoveries. We’re going to do what’s right, so it embodies the energy. Skeletor needs to be an incredible menace. I really think — again — I mean it when I say Vader, Gruber, Skeletor."

I think this can be a pretty great updated property, the new cartoon was pretty awesome, but McG is not someone I want helming it so I'm apprehensive.

For years, there have been rumored fantastic scripts for new Masters of the Universe floating around too.

i might be rare, but i've always loved Dolph Lundren's version, just like i think his Punisher was the best Punisher film ever made (tv show is probably better though, haven't seen it)

I have the original movie, and get where you are coming from. The Netflix version goes down the same path of someone experiencing PTSD where they are withdrawn and cold at times with their actions. Which for the Punisher factors in emotionally, as you are either good or bad. There's no sympathy or rationalizing being in-between.

Masters of the Universe Movie Release Date Revealed

After years of developments and speculation, the highly-anticipated film reboot of Masters of the Universe appears to be moving forward, if Sony's newest slate of films is any indication.

Sony Pictures has added the film to its most updated release calendar, with a projected release date of December 18th, 2019.

The film will be directed by McG, known by audiences for his work on Charlie's Angels, This Means War, and Terminator Salvation. In recent years, the director has dabbled in television as well, producing shows such as Supernatural, Chuck, Shadowhunters, and Lethal Weapon. 

Masters Of The Universe Movie Already Loses Director

Wednesday night was monumental for fans of the He-Man franchise, as the live-action film was finally given a release date. While everything seemed on the up-and-up after the announcement, there's already some trouble afoot.

It was reported, just after the 2019 release date was announced, that McG was already out as director of Masters Of The Universe.

The Charlie's Angels director had been attached to the He-Man project since its early stages - beginning in 2016 - and he was thought to be helming the film when the release date was announced last night. Just hours after the initial report, McG was out as director.

It sounded like McG was pretty passionate about the project until his removal last night. He recently spoke with ComingSoon.net, talking about how excited he was to make the film.

"I think we want to honor the fan base, first and foremost." McG explained. "We also need to be cognizant of the incredible resonance of what Kevin Feige is doing with Marvel, and the balance of full-bodied entertainment. That it’s both credible and emotional, action-packed, and the story of a hero’s journey. It’s the genesis of He-Man, it’s the becoming of He-Man. We want it to be clicking on all cylinders in that regard. We’re not going to stop until we get it right."

BATMAN V SUPERMAN Scribe David S. Goyer in Talks To Helm Sony's MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

The Wrap is reporting that Sony Pictures have entered negotiations with David S. Goyer to direct their upcoming Masters of the Universe film. The report adds that talks began shortly after Goyer turned in the -script's most recent draft. 

Masters of the Universe will tell the story of Prince Adam, a noble warrior from planet Eternia, who turns into the heroic He-Man and fights for the forces of good against the evil Skeletor, a being that is out to conquer Castle Grayskull.

While Goyer has directed four films in his career, including Zig Zag, Blade: Trinity, The Invisible, and The Unborn, he is better known to the film community for his screenwriting work, which includes a wide variety of DC films for Warner Bros., namely The Dark Knight trilogy, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and an early draft for Green Lantern Corps.

Masters of the Universe hits theaters December 18, 2019

I wonder if they could pull off a live action feature film? When my kids were younger I would watch Thundercats, Transformers and GI Joe with them on Teletoon Retro. They loved them all (but their favorite was Batman TAS - that series is an all-time classic!).

43 minutes ago, kimik said:

I would be fine with that. Bring back all of the hot 80s cartoons we grew up with. :wishluck:

Do you remember the more obscure ones ?

The Visionaries 

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors

That's right, Visionaries, Kinghts of the Mystic Light (or something like that) lol

I forgot about Jayce, but remember it as well.

I used to love Rambo: The Force of Freedom and Chuck Norris: Karate Commandos (or something like that) as well. 

The 80s were an awesome time for creativity across cartoons/television, comics and music. (thumbsu

‘Masters of the Universe’ Still Needs Director as David S. Goyer Passes (EXCLUSIVE)

david-s-goyer.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1

“Masters of the Universe” is still in the hunt for a director, Variety has learned. Sony Pictures, the studio behind the He-Man movie, had been in talks with David S. Goyer, but the filmmaker and screenwriter has had to drop out because of other commitments.

Goyer turned in a draft of “Masters of the Universe” last fall that excited the studio so much that they hoped to convince him to slide behind the camera. However, Goyer is enmeshed in work on “Foundation,” a mini-series adaptation of Irving Asimov’s science-fiction trilogy, and won’t be able to juggle both projects. Complicating matters is “Masters of the Universe’s” Dec. 18, 2019, release date, which puts a clock on the production. Before Goyer fell out, Sony had been getting ready to talk to actors about joining the film.

Goyer will stay involved on “Masters of the Universe” as an executive producer and screenwriter. “Masters of the Universe” is based on a Mattel toyline and popular children’s cartoon. It centers on mythical fantasy world in which Prince Adam battles with the villainous Skeletor as his heroic alter-ego He-Man.