• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's HE-MAN MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE starring Kyle Allen (2023)
1 1

60 posts in this topic

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE Movie Gets New Directors In BAND OF ROBBERS Duo Adam And Aaron Nee

159787.jpg

It was recently announced that David S. Goyer had stepped down as director on Sony Pictures' planned Masters of the Universe reboot (though he'll remain on as exec producer and screenwriter), but now it looks like the project has found a pair of replacements.

Variety reports that The Nee brothers, Aaron and Adam, have boarded the picture, and will get to work on the sci-fi/fantasy adventure soon to ensure it meets its Dec. 18, 2019 release date.

This will be the first major directing gig for the duo, whose only other feature is the critically acclaimed 2015 indie thriller, Band of Robbers.

9 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

Aren't these the EXACT same issues that troubled the original MOTU live action movie?:pullhair:

I had forgotten that.

But in going back to check out the details, the film did $17.3M on a $22M budget. So it had other hurdles to overcome. But I never realized the design of the first film borrowed a lot from Jack Kirby.

15 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I had forgotten that.

But in going back to check out the details, the film did $17.3M on a $22M budget. So it had other hurdles to overcome. But I never realized the design of the first film borrowed a lot from Jack Kirby.

It's obvious I know but at THAT TIME, the original MOTU movie could've made $300 million, what with the popularity of the franchise, etc.  That movie was absolute trouble from the start and probably shouldn't of been made; at least waited for a great -script and budget.  Unfortunately, alas, it'll always be a terrible cult favorite of which I absolutely love.

Edited by sagekilz

55 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

It's obvious I know but at THAT TIME, the original MOTU movie could've made $300 million, what with the popularity of the franchise, etc.  That movie was absolute trouble from the start and probably shouldn't of been made; at least waited for a great --script and budget.  Unfortunately, alas, it'll always be a terrible cult favorite of which I absolutely love.

<3

And don't forget the post-credits scene (long before this was an MCU thing)...

Has there been some recent movement on the reboot? My CGC 9.8 Masters of the Universe #1 (Marvel/Star) is blowing up on Clink this week and I am trying to figure out why. (shrug)

Edited by kimik

27 minutes ago, kimik said:

Has there been some recent movement on the reboot? My CGC 9.8 Masters of the Universe #1 (Marvel/Star) is blowing up on Clink this week and I am trying to figure out why. (shrug)

Yup sold a couple of MOTUs today as well... wonder whats going on

Showrunner and super-geek Kevin Smith has revealed that his stellar voice cast for Masters Of The Universe: Revelation has finished recording.

Showrunner and super-geek Kevin Smith has revealed that his stellar voice cast for Masters Of The Universe: Revelation has finished recording. Smith, who has worked in multiple roles across the entertainment industry, including filmmaker, comic book writer, and podcast host, announced that he would be running the show at the Power-Con Convention last year.

Despite popular trends, Masters Of The Universe: Revelation will not be a reboot, but will instead be a sequel series that will resolve old plotlines from the original 1980s series. The new show will be in anime-style but hasn't redesigned the characters too much, a move sure to keep fans of the classic Masters Of The Universe show happy. Smith is bringing back all the fan-favorite characters, including He-Man (Chris Wood), Skeletor (Mark Hamill), Evil-Lyn (Lena Headey), and Teela (Sarah Michelle Gellar).

And now Smith, who will be hosting a panel at this year's San Diego Comic-Con@Home, has revealed on his podcast, Fatman Beyond that the core cast has all finished recording their lines for the show. In doing so, Smith heaped praise on their work, saying that Headey's performance was "awesome" and that he could listen to her "all f*cking day, man." He added that hearing Stephen Root plays Cringer/Battle-Cat was "absolutely wonderful." 

Looks like the movie is moving forward. But now on Netflix.

The long-awaited live-action Masters of the Universe movie from Mattel Films has landed at Netflix, with West Side Story actor Kyle Allen set to play the hero He-Man.

The live-action feature, which is eying a summer 2022 start date, will be directed by the Nee Brothers (The Lost City) from a screenplay they wrote with Shang-Chi scribe David Callaham. Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch will produce, along with DeVon Franklin. Robbie Brenner and Kevin McKeon will oversee the project for Mattel Films.

The Masters of the Universe lore centers around an orphan named Adam, who discovers he is a prince destined to be the savior of a faraway land and must quickly learn of his power in order to save his home from the evil Skeletor.