• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, jason4 said:

If you had 700 dollars would you buy a gsx1 or amazing Spider-Man 2? 

Or 700 copies of that Alf comic...my god what is that lol 

Since this is now 2018, what grade of gsxm #1 do you think that you'll get?

Dang this thread is 35 pages long...

Odd, but I did the same last year I bought 181 (although i already owned a lower grade) and this year the GSXM.

I haven't noticed to much change in 7.0 and lower of the X-Men and that's what I own, but 8.5 and higher wahhooo 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

12 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Since this is now 2018, what grade of gsxm #1 do you think that you'll get?

Probably only a cgc 4.0. Spider-Man 2 would only be a 2.0ish. I won’t be buying until end of September so they better not go up lol

Put the $800 in an IRA In an index fund of large or mid cap stocks.In 30 years, depending on the market, you probably have $15-23k. Do you see any of these mid or low grade books being worth that much? Only in a world where a hamburger costs $75.  With that said, I would be hesitant doing that right now as the current stock market is likely inflated. Same can be said of comics though.

3 hours ago, the blob said:

Put the $800 in an IRA In an index fund of large or mid cap stocks.In 30 years, depending on the market, you probably have $15-23k. Do you see any of these mid or low grade books being worth that much? Only in a world where a hamburger costs $75.  With that said, I would be hesitant doing that right now as the current stock market is likely inflated. Same can be said of comics though.

Nonsense. In 2005 I had a 1 year contracting gig, when the contract was up I needed to do something with the 401K I had for the previous year so I rolled it over to a Vanguard IRA. Mid cap index fund. I opened the IRA with $10K. A couple years later during the crash that $10K was worth 4K. Now it’s at around 17K and I can guarantee you that it won’t be worth $200K in another 16 years, which it would need to be to hit your multiplier.

Not to say that GSX 1 should be used as an investment but the numbers you (and others) throw around regarding the stock market are a pipe dream. Especially since there is another “correction” coming.

2 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Nonsense. In 2005 I had a 1 year contracting gig, when the contract was up I needed to do something with the 401K I had for the previous year so I rolled it over to a Vanguard IRA. Mid cap index fund. I opened the IRA with $10K. A couple years later during the crash that $10K was worth 4K. Now it’s at around 17K and I can guarantee you that it won’t be worth $200K in another 16 years, which it would need to be to hit your multiplier.

Not to say that GSX 1 should be used as an investment but the numbers you (and others) throw around regarding the stock market are a pipe dream. Especially since there is another “correction” coming.

My 401k has tripled since 2005 (I have not contributed since 2004). I have a boring mix of index funds. We are also talking about a 30 year horizon, not 13. The s&p 500 with dividend reinvestment has made 12% a year over the last 30 Give or take, or so I read. $23k would be using 12%. I think that is high going forward which is why I gave a $15-23k range. You can run scenarios on any free online investment calculator. The finance types on this board can probably lay it out better than I can. A doubling every 7 years, which is not nuts, gets you close to the $15k maybe $12-15k is a safer range. Sure, some comics have done better... If you had sunk $800 into the nicest AF 15 you could find 30 years ago you would probably have more than $23k. Are these books AF 15? Will we have a similar appreciation going forward.

Edited by the blob

The S&p dropped 37% in 2008.i don't know how you lost 60% to get down to $4k especially after the market was up in 2006-7. The losses were gained back by the end of 2010. $10k invested in TBE s&p then should be $25-28k now. With that said, I don't disagree that there could be another correction. There always is. Blue chip Comics have orrections too, although they seem less frequent. I just don't see buying an already expensive common book as a great 30 year investment. Maybe I am wrong. I have been before. I told my parents to sell their Manhattan apartment in 1998 because I thought prices were nuts. It has nearly quadrupled since then.

Edited by the blob

I ran an $800 investment in the s&p 500 in a historical investment calculator with dividend reinvestment and it comes out to $13618. That includes several stock market crashes. The Dave Ramsey calculator said returns have been 12%, I think that may be wrong, others have shown more like 10%, which is in line with doubling every 7. Of course, s&p 500 is only one index. So do you think a low grade hulk 181 will be worth $13k in 30 years? I dunno.

58 minutes ago, the blob said:

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I am in my mid 40s scared about retirement phase and I am constantly running calculations on these things and might be overdoing it.

I’m not suggesting investing in comics. All I’m saying is the silly 20x in 30 years type numbers that people on this board throw out as what the stock market will return simply aren’t realistic. Your 401K has tripled since 2005. That was 14 years ago. Do you really think it will go another 15-17x in the next 16 years? That’s what it would need to do to reach your $800 invested now becoming $15-23K in 30 years. I get the anxiety over investing, I’m in a similar position as you. I don’t know the answer but I do know that stocks aren’t returning 20x your investment, at least not in my lifetime. I think using 80-90 year historic numbers isn’t realistic. Everything is very different now than it was in decades past, the room for growth that we saw just isn’t there. 

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

I’m not suggesting investing in comics. All I’m saying is the silly 20x in 30 years type numbers that people on this board throw out as what the stock market will return simply aren’t realistic. Your 401K has tripled since 2005. That was 14 years ago. Do you really think it will go another 15-17x in the next 16 years? That’s what it would need to do to reach your $800 invested now becoming $15-23K in 30 years. I get the anxiety over investing, I’m in a similar position as you. I don’t know the answer but I do know that stocks aren’t returning 20x your investment, at least not in my lifetime. I think using 80-90 year historic numbers isn’t realistic. Everything is very different now than it was in decades past, the room for growth that we saw just isn’t there. 

$15-23k was using 11-12%, which was wrong. 9-10% puts you in the $13ks. Gains do not get you there on average. Dividend reinvestment is critical and you get to do that best in a retirement account where you aren't paying taxes on the dividends while being reinvested. I don't know the OP's situation, and it was 3 years ago, but particularly If He is a young guy it is amazing how much stocking away some money now in a tax deferred (or free) account can grow in 30-40 years. Most people retiring now could have seven figures even with modest savings. If he has $800 he wants to grow into something real for when he is older I would be concerned with a comic. If you are taking care of yourself already and $800 is your fun investment, then sure.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

I have a progressive 401K . It started with 2% 1st year to 4% 2nd year, on up to 14% of my paycheck, and Ive been putting into it for the last 25 years. Now Ive maxed out 14% of my paycheck+ company matches the dollar amount each paycheck. By the time I retire I will have life changing F.U. money.

9 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I have a progressive 401K . It started with 2% 1st year to 4% 2nd year, on up to 14% of my paycheck, and Ive been putting into it for the last 25 years. Now Ive maxed out 14% of my paycheck+ company matches the dollar amount each paycheck. By the time I retire I will have life changing F.U. money.

That's it. It needs time to build. Need to start early.  I actually only put in for 4.5 years from 99-2004. From 96-99 after I graduated from law school every penny went to paying off student loans (over $80k) and getting a down payment for my 1st apartment. And comics...i got hit by the crash, and then the next one, but as of right now my number isn't bad. Wish it was better. But I saved before I had kids and responsibilities. I have not saved squat since having kids, getting married, etc

Edited by the blob

Simple answer invest in both stocks and key comics. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

With comics just try to pick 4 or 5 keys each from

silver age

bronze age

copper age

modern age

You most likely won't do as good as the stock market but those 4 or 5 keys from each comic age will beat leaving your money in a savings account in a bank or a bond.

Also

Number one place to invest is your health. It doesn't matter how much money you have if your health is extremely poor.

I had two uncles both millionaires who died in their early 60s recently because of smoking related diseases. All that money they had couldn't beat cancer.

So health would be the number one investment.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

8 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Well of course you will. I’m in no way saying to not invest in a 401K. Quite the opposite, you should. I max mine out every year. But what you are describing is very different from putting in x amount of dollars into a fund today and waiting for it to multiply 20x in 30 years.

BTW, I’d love to know where you work that matches 401K contributions dollar for dollar with no cap. I need to go get a job there.