• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books that couldn't be published today
1 1

45 posts in this topic

Comics like all of these are published nowadays, and ones way worse, more graphic, more everything. I don't pay attention to modern mainstream type marvel and dc stuff, but go look at independent comics, comics published by fantagraphics and other small publishers and self published comics. If Wertham thought comics in the 40s and 50s were bad, his head would explode nowadays. 

Seriously speaking, I can't think of any covers that haven't already been covered (Well, maybe the DC Blackhawk covers with the character Chop Chop on it), but you'll definitely never see any more back covers or ads for live pets, Daisy BB guns, or non-PC products.

7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

So is the consensus that it’s good that certain images are no longer published or the oppposite 

We can do without the unflattering, demonising, ethnic / national stereotypes, to begin with.

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

We can do without the unflattering, demonising, ethnic / national stereotypes, to begin with.

Yep, it's like watching old movies. Times change very quickly, but very much for the better in most cases. I posted the ASM 583 variants, and they got pulled due to the political aspect I guess. Still, rules are rules....

That's a recent change. I know that book has been discussed before and many here claiming the the bias of CGC for allowing discussion/posting of the book vs our more recent... um well you get the point. I guess moderation decided that it can be considered political. 

Edited by jsilverjanet

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Of course, but these old comics with blatantly racist, sexist, and jingoistic covers and stories are a stark reminder about the culture of past times in which they were published.  Ugly material, but historically important nonetheless.

Edited by namisgr

Some books just carry sensitive topics that are offending to others and throuought the years we saw time and time again the publishers change and adapt to the census. 

Today it's politically correctness. Yesterday it was SOTI

Sometimes it's just a book that came out at the wrong time with the wrong content. Like Adventures of superman 596 that came out the day after 9/11 and was speculated by DC it would offend many that it was pulled off the shelves.

Imagine if this book came out the day of the Las Vegas shooting?

IMG_7083.JPG