• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atari inserts in Batman newstands?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Well, it's an insert like the Jewelers, but that doesn't necessarily make it special like the MJs. Collectors' interest with the MJs are driven solely because distribution was limited to military bases (overseas only?). Unless you have that type of hook with these Atari inserts, not sure you can put them in the same class as the MJs.

Are they more common than MJs? I've never seen one, so I'm wondering if I should be looking out for these or not.

They are much more common than MJI's, they are not in every book however, so as Divad said, its worth noting, and IMO Collecting!

I have been wondering about these "game" inserts myself for a while now. I haven't found THAT many books with the inserts in them (I actually have much more with Mark Jewelers inserts in them). Not only are there the Atari inserts, but there are Konami and Nintendo game inserts as well that I have found. I've also found inserts for Major League Baseball and CBS Toon Time (Saturday morning cartoon line-up). As I have found any books with these inserts in them, I've segregated them out for quicker referral. Here's the list of what I have so far:

Atari Insert

Action Comics #521 Direct Edition (1981) (1st Vixen)

Action Comics #521 Newsstand (1981) (1st Vixen)

Action Comics #524 Newsstand (1981)

Batman #340 Direct Edition (1981)

Batman #340 Newsstand (1981)

Batman #343 Direct Edition (1982)

Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #5 Direct Edition (1983)

Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #5 Newsstand (1983)

DC Comics Presents #35 Newsstand (1981)

DC Comics Presents #42 Newsstand (1982)

Superman #375 Newsstand (1982)

Konami Insert

Darkhawk #9 Direct Edition (1991)

Guardians of the Galaxy #18 (1991) Direct Edition

Nintendo Insert

Guardians of the Galaxy #8 (1991) Direct Edition

Major League Baseball Insert

Superman #397 Newsstand (1984)

CBS Toon Time Insert

Action Comics #526 Newsstand (1981)

DC Comics Presents #40 Newsstand (1981)

Superman #366 Newsstand (1981)

As you can see, it doesn't seem to matter whether they were Direct Edition or Newsstand copies as I have 3 cases (Action Comics #521, Batman #340 and Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #5) where both the Direct Edition and Newsstand copies both had the insert in them.

Edited by Shark

I have been wondering about these "game" inserts myself for a while now. I haven't found THAT many books with the inserts in them (I actually have much more with Mark Jewelers inserts in them). Not only are there the Atari inserts, but there are Konami and Nintendo game inserts as well that I have found. I've also found inserts for Major League Baseball and CBS Toon Time (Saturday morning cartoon line-up). As I have found any books with these inserts in them, I've segregated them out for quicker referral. Here's the list of what I have so far:

Atari Insert

Action Comics #521 Direct Edition (1981) (1st Vixen)

Action Comics #521 Newsstand (1981) (1st Vixen)

Action Comics #524 Newsstand (1981)

Batman #340 Direct Edition (1981)

Batman #340 Newsstand (1981)

Batman #343 Direct Edition (1982)

Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #5 Direct Edition (1983)

Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #5 Newsstand (1983)

DC Comics Presents #35 Newsstand (1981)

DC Comics Presents #42 Newsstand (1982)

Superman #375 Newsstand (1982)

Konami Insert

Darkhawk #9 Direct Edition (1991)

Guardians of the Galaxy #18 (1991) Direct Edition

Nintendo Insert

Guardians of the Galaxy #8 (1991) Direct Edition

Major League Baseball Insert

Superman #397 Newsstand (1984)

CBS Toon Time Insert

Action Comics #526 Newsstand (1981)

DC Comics Presents #40 Newsstand (1981)

Superman #366 Newsstand (1981)

As you can see, it doesn't seem to matter whether they were Direct Edition or Newsstand copies as I have 3 cases (Action Comics #521, Batman #340 and Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #5) where both the Direct Edition and Newsstand copies both had the insert in them.

I just picked up a Detective #498 that has an Atari insert. In fact, the copy I found appears to have a double insert, like a double cover... Somehow, 2 copies of the insert we're bound into the centre of this single issue.

It's not that Atari insert pictured above, but a different one.

Can anybody suggest a site or info source other than this thread where I can find out more about these inserts?

On 5/8/2018 at 12:28 PM, Joseph Zdyrski said:

Does CGC make a note of these inserts on the label? 

Found a Action 521 with an Atari insert not high grade enough to slab but if this is noted on the slab it may be worth a press and slab.

If all copies of a comic are supposed to have an insert, I believe it's in the key comments. Also, if every copy is supposed to have the insert and it is missing, it is considered incomplete.

If they are put in only some of the issues, then it is treated like a MJ insert and noted on the label text.

Ok, just checked the census on Batman #357. All copies have the Atari insert. Look at the key comments of what is written.

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Batman&issue=357&publisher=D.C.+Comics&year=1983&issuedate=3%2F83

Edited by Philflound

23 hours ago, artistlost said:

Is it rare to find a batman #357 with the atari insert and being a 75 Cent Canadian Price variant?

Only when it has a Mark Jeweler insert and a double cover.

And is signed by Stan Lee...

Are these inserts fairly common then? In the midst of going back through my collection and I also have Batman 340 and 357 containing the Atari insert. They weren’t in every copy of these issues were they? (My 340 is newsstand and my 357 is not).