• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard to find Adventures of Superman Mall 443 variants
2 2

69 posts in this topic

I stumbled across one that isn't in the above post.  First, it looks like the picture links got broken in the transition to the new boards.  So I'm going to repost Cpt Kirk's image that I pulled from the old boards...

58c06667ec18c_asm2044320720variants_zpse0flitcp.thumb.jpg.3aaa4d577ec53350556c8b94ac4899c0.jpg

And the "The Parks at Arlington" edition not pictured there...

58c066af0e73a_443-B-Copy.jpg.cc71d5c2c491f5028c99e054e804b654.jpg

So that's at least eight mall variants.

On 3/8/2017 at 6:06 PM, reinharc said:

I stumbled across one that isn't in the above post.  First, it looks like the picture links got broken in the transition to the new boards.  So I'm going to repost Cpt Kirk's image that I pulled from the old boards...

58c06667ec18c_asm2044320720variants_zpse0flitcp.thumb.jpg.3aaa4d577ec53350556c8b94ac4899c0.jpg

Thanks for posting the photo of "The Parks" variant.   Now there are 10 known variants (i.e., the ones shown above, plus the "North Shore Square" and "Westgate Mall" variants, which I do not have).

p.s.  I sent you a PM.   I would love to know where you found "The Parks".   thanks!

Edited by Cpt Kirk
correction

4 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

It's always fun to track down these rare ones.

I checked the census, doesn't look as if this comic has ever been slabbed, in any version!

That is true.   I know of two other copies of the Spring Hill Mall variant that you found.   Jerome has one, I have one, and now you have one.   

On 3/8/2017 at 6:06 PM, reinharc said:

We are now up to 11 mall variants.   Montclair Plaza, The Parks, Willowbrook, Washington Park, North Shore Square, Spring Hill, Clearview, Westgate, Rhode Island, Cranberry, and now, dang it, Fiesta Mall (see link):

http://www.chrisisoninfiniteearths.com/2016/08/adventures-of-superman-443-1988.html

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, Readcomix said:

Why this particular book, I wonder?

and who the hell creates a mall variant without New Jersey???? 

I don't think any of us know why they chose Adv of Superman 443.   I also think there's a good chance they made a variant for a mall in New Jersey, we just haven't found it yet.   For a long time, we only knew of 7 variants, and in the last two years that number has increased to 12.    For convenience, here's all 12 shown in one posting, along with the Canadian variant.   I am missing the Westgate, North Shore Square, Fiesta, The Parks and Georgetown Park from my collection (I'd gladly pay $100 for any mall variant that I don't currently have, if that gives some idea of how hard they are to find).

Here's Spring Hill, Clearview, Rhode Island, Washington Park, Montclair Plaza, Cranberry, Willowbrook, Newsstand and Direct versions:

All seven Adv of Superman 443 variants.jpg

Here's The Parks, Fiesta, North Shore Square, Westgate, Georgetown Park, and Canadian Versions:

The Parks Adv of SM 443.jpg

fiesta mall adv of SM 443.JPG

ASM 443 northshore.jpg

ASM 443 westgate.jpg

593c01a7109bf_georgetown1.thumb.JPG.8bd6921821cd452db360900aebf74ad2.JPG

adv of SM 443 canadian.JPG

Edited by Cpt Kirk
typos

update:  I just edited my posting above to show another find (the Georgetown Park).   I know the owners of Georgetown Park, Fiesta, and The Parks and neither of them were willing to part with theirs for $100.   doh!

Edited by Cpt Kirk

I was watching "True Lies", which was made around 1994 and part of it was shot in Georgetown Park Mall.   In the movie, you see the Georgetown Park Mall symbol on the mall doors, and it is identical to the one shown on the Georgetown Park variant of Adv of Superman 443 shown in photo above.

The North Shore Square variant has joined its brothers thanks to a dear friend of mine.  Pictured below are 8 of the mall variants together in one shot (I am missing 4 known ones) plus the direct sales, newsstand and Canadian variant.

5ade1a41a8b0f_443all.thumb.jpg.34e425be056baf8a0cabb2a6e4070dae.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk

One of the things I really like about this variant is that it appeared to be strictly promotional and there was never a thought for collectors to get each variant as a collector's item.    As opposed to today, where it seems like the variants are created to get collectors and fans to buy more copies of the same issue.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

1 hour ago, kenaran said:

I was tough letting that go...  I know it has a good home with someone who will appreciate it.  That is a CRAZY set.  Congratulations!!!

Thanks kenaran.... As I went back through all of these, I noticed that very few are in high grade.   It makes me think these were just given away at those shopping malls, and very few made it into the hands of serious collectors.   Thus, most probably got beat up before making their way into the dollar and quarter bins, or even more likely just thrown away.