• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard to find Adventures of Superman Mall 443 variants
2 2

69 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, BGriffeyJr said:

I found one more for you to add to the list of known mall variants that are out there.  This one is from a mall that was in a suburb of Minneapolis, MN.

p.s.  I sent you a private message.  Please check it and let me know what you think.  Thanks again for posting the photo.

I was surfing this morning and the following things occurred to me.

a.   These known 13 variants of Adv of Superman 443 came out in 1988.   Hard to believe, but that was 30 years ago.  Many of the malls featured in this variant are now dying and may become things of the past.

b.   There are websites dedicated to history of malls but images of the logos from 1988 are very hard to find.  The logos on these comic books might be one of the few logo images remaining from 1988.

c.  BGriffeyJr had a theory that Homart Development company was a common denominator for these mall variants. Homart for sure developed at least 9 of the 13 mall variants that are known to have been featured in this Adv of Superman 443 Mall variant.  This seems like a very logical explanation, but this might also be coincidence because Homart developed more malls than just about anyone.  Looking at the Homart wiki site you can see they developed several malls whose logos have been found on Adv of SM 443.  Unless otherwise noted, the source of Homart opening the following malls was the Homart wiki article:

1.  Midland Mall opened in 1967 in Warwick RI which became Rhode Island Mall in 1985 (closed in 2012)

2.  Montclair Plaza opened in 1968 in Montclair CA but was owned and remodeled by Homart in 1985 according to the following article:  http://articles.latimes.com/1985-10-27/realestate/re-12523_1_montclair-plaza

3.  Eden Prairie Center in Minneapolis MN;  opened in 1976

4.  Fiesta Mall in Mesa AZ;  opened in 1979

5.  Spring Hill Mall in West Dundee IL (Chicago suburb);  opened in 1980

6.  Willowbrook Mall in Houston TX;  opened 1981

7.  Washington Park Mall in Bartlesville OK;  opened 1984 by Homart according this article: http://www.examiner-enterprise.com/business/20170607/bartlesville-mall-listed-for-134m

8.  North Shore Square Mall in Slidell LA;  opened 1985 by Homart according to this article: http://www.nola.com/northshore/index.ssf/2017/06/slidell_mall_owners_hope_to_re.html

9.  The Parks at Arlington (Dallas TX suburb); opened 1988

Others malls appearing on Adv of SM 443 that I can’t tie to Homart:

10.  Clearview (Metairie LA or Butler PA… not sure)

11. Westgate Mall (Brockton MA, but hard to say)… there are a lot of Westgate Malls and I can’t find an image of the Westgate logo on Superman 443 that ties to the mall in Brockton;  the closest logo match I can find is this one, which does belong to the Brockton MA mall:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS617US617&biw=1600&bih=720&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=fxX3WuKCGcKz5gLazauIDQ&q=westgate+mall+sign&oq=westgate+mall+sign&gs_l=img.3...4895.6715.0.7032.11.11.0.0.0.0.168.940.9j2.11.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.9.803...0j0i24k1j0i10i24k1j0i67k1j0i5i30k1.0.FD8JIYkYBRY#imgrc=AboUZX2VoyHKaM:

12.  Georgetown Park (Wash DC)... the logo from Adv of SM 443 can clearly be seen in the doors to the mall in the 1994 movie True Lies

13.  Cranberry Mall (Cranberry PA or more likely the mall opened in 1987 by ShopCo in Westminster MD and now known as Westminster Mall)

Edited by Cpt Kirk

10 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Thanks to Ben Griffel, the Eden Prairie joins its brothers.   Great find Ben!!   Ten years ago, I never would have dreamed of being able to put ten of these mall variants together.

IMG_1290.thumb.jpg.4dd13a04de827b49bde742278cf9237c.jpg

The only other mall variants known are The Parks and Fiesta Mall (neither seller seems willing to sell) and Westgate (I don't know who has that one, I only know the guy who found it and sold it).   It would be nice if the owner of the Westgate came forward so that we would know where it is.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 4/8/2019 at 12:44 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

So that makes 14 known mall versions, yes? 

I wonder if DC kept any records.

Yes, there are now 14 known versions.  I've listed below.   According to Jerome, DC did not keep records of these.   I'm very sure there are more out there... approximately 10 years ago, there were only approximately 5 known versions.

North Shore Square
Rhode Island Mall
Spring Hill Mall
Washinton Park Mall
Westgate Mall
Clearview Mall
Montclair Plaza
Willowbrook Mall
Cranberry Mall
The Parks at Arlington
Fiesta Mall
Georgetown Park
Eden Prairie Center
Town East Mall

On 4/7/2019 at 11:12 AM, JoshWilk said:

Everyone can add Town East Mall to the list now. Found this in a collection yesterday. I've known about these for over 10 years and had never seen one in person before.

20190406_180700.jpg

Great job finding this.  Please see the private message I sent you about this comic book.