• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

90's VALIANT Comics Thread

289 posts in this topic

Not sure why, but I have always wondered why cgc doesn't label Solar 10 as eternal warriors first appearance? Was their some controversy over it?

No controversy, Solar #10 is definitely the Eternal Warrior's first appearance.

I think there just wasn't enough space on the label.

Here's what it says instead:

16 page Solar insert by Jim Shooter,

Barry Windsor-Smith & Bob Layton.

Black embossed cover.

Those things are all true. lol

Wow I never noticed that before. Thought it was there.

Solar10CGC98.jpg

EW1 says "Origin".

EternalWarrior1CGC98.jpg

I've had a few and never seen the notation of the 1st appearance.

Also, I agree with Gatsby regarding Dr. Mirage. If that property ever hits it's Shadowman #5 (new VALIANT) specifically the Grampa variant that's most worth having.

That said, fond memories of seeing that older VH1 cover on hot lists back in the 90s, always liked the cover.

Not sure why, but I have always wondered why cgc doesn't label Solar 10 as eternal warriors first appearance? Was their some controversy over it?

No controversy, Solar #10 is definitely the Eternal Warrior's first appearance.

I think there just wasn't enough space on the label.

Here's what it says instead:

16 page Solar insert by Jim Shooter,

Barry Windsor-Smith & Bob Layton.

Black embossed cover.

Those things are all true. lol

I would drop "Black embossed cover" since that is evident by looking at the cover. Replace that with 1st Eternal Warrior appearance.

Not quite 90s Valiant but is anyone else planning on picking up the new X-O Manowar series? Not normally my cup of tea but DCBS has the Preorder Bundle for $2.99 so for $1 an issue, I figured might as well try to see if I'd like it.

Not quite 90s Valiant but is anyone else planning on picking up the new X-O Manowar series? Not normally my cup of tea but DCBS has the Preorder Bundle for $2.99 so for $1 an issue, I figured might as well try to see if I'd like it.

I also got in on that deal. Hard to pass up a steep discount like that.

With DCBS, I'll just wait. Usually they send me these Valiant books for free a month after they are out. I'm not sure why.

Edited by rjrjr

With DCBS, I'll just wait. Usually they send me these Valiant books for free a month after they are out. I'm not sure why.

My guess is that the hardcore Valiant collectors using DCBS to obtain 1:20 and 1:50 variants are already paying for the required extra regular issues... so DCBS can just give the standard copies away, rather than store them.

My guess is that the hardcore Valiant collectors using DCBS to obtain 1:20 and 1:50 variants are already paying for the required extra regular issues... so DCBS can just give the standard copies away, rather than store them.

lol, if not paying, then heavily subsidizing. lol DCBS has the Cover A for $0.99 (75% off). The 1:50 variant is just $50, though, so perhaps Valiant is just offering deep discounts? hm

Anyway, I don't really mind paying the $3. It's the Cover C #1-3 Preorder bundle which is 48 pages per issue including bonus material. Certainly seems like much better value for money than the Marvel titles I just cancelled. Besides, I've never received a free comic from DCBS. (shrug)

lol, if not paying, then heavily subsidizing. lol DCBS has the Cover A for $0.99 (75% off). The 1:50 variant is just $50, though, so perhaps Valiant is just offering deep discounts? hm

Anyway, I don't really mind paying the $3. It's the Cover C #1-3 Preorder bundle which is 48 pages per issue including bonus material. Certainly seems like much better value for money than the Marvel titles I just cancelled. Besides, I've never received a free comic from DCBS. (shrug)

Weird. The last free Valiant I received was Faith #1. I wonder how DCBS decides who to send free comics to? I just assumed they sent them out to everyone.

Edited by rjrjr

Just received X-O Manowar #1 from DCBS. The cover and paper stock is quite nice. How come Valiant can afford to do this with their lower print runs and circulation when DC and Marvel use paper that crumple if you so much as breath wrong?

DCBS usually has Valiant titles for 50% off if buying the entire bundle. I think I'll start getting those. :D

Edited by aerischan

On 3/29/2017 at 10:08 AM, aerischan said:

Just received X-O Manowar #1 from DCBS. The cover and paper stock is quite nice. How come Valiant can afford to do this with their lower print runs and circulation when DC and Marvel use paper that crumple if you so much as breath wrong?

DCBS usually has Valiant titles for 50% off if buying the entire bundle. I think I'll start getting those. :D

Valiant is a small company, but lots of the leadership and investors are from the major companies.  

On 3/29/2017 at 11:08 AM, aerischan said:

Marvel and DC are owned my huge public corporations that have to maximize profits to keep their shareholders happy. If you don't have a pretty book, they don't care, as long as you keep buying it. Valiant (while still a business that needs to make a profit to survive) is a comic company first, rather than a multi-media company, and they care about comics. That's why they limit themselves to a manageable line of quality comics. Sure, not every one is a huge winner, but I think the average quality of the Valiant line is on par (at least) with the average quality of any other company.

11 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Marvel and DC are owned my huge public corporations that have to maximize profits to keep their shareholders happy. If you don't have a pretty book, they don't care, as long as you keep buying it. Valiant (while still a business that needs to make a profit to survive) is a comic company first, rather than a multi-media company, and they care about comics. That's why they limit themselves to a manageable line of quality comics. Sure, not every one is a huge winner, but I think the average quality of the Valiant line is on par (at least) with the average quality of any other company.

I would also add to what you've said in they are a young company and still hungry and willing to put in the extra effort to get their market share and they are run by a CEO who is also a fan.  I think the effort shows in a lot of their books.  Britannia, Savage, Divinity, the new X-O..... Great paper quality, beautiful art, compelling stories.

On 1/26/2017 at 11:46 PM, rjrjr said:

Weird. The last free Valiant I received was Faith #1. I wonder how DCBS decides who to send free comics to? I just assumed they sent them out to everyone.

The second printing of Faith #1 isn't exactly a straight reprinting. It's half the book, with the other half being promotional material for upcoming books. They handed these out for free at NYCC, and I guess they went out free to stores as well. I guess they thought this sort od marketing material, with a full issue, would be more successful than a few preview pages. I got one free from DCBS as well.

The only other book I can recall receiving for free was Book of Death #1. Since this book was fully returnable, I imagine Valiant requested that the books that would be returned be handed out rather than returned. Makes sense if they're already eating the cost of unsold books. Perhaps other returnable book were handed out the same way.

On 4/29/2017 at 9:12 PM, fastballspecial said:

Love me some EW, but I love finding those V3 Shadowman books. Even found the No price variant once. Are they as popular now as they used to be? I passed on one the other day just a normal V3 1, but store wanted $10 even in NM I thought that was too much.

The Volume 3 Shadowman books (1999) are a little better understood now.  The "No price variant" for Shadowman #1 (1999) is (probably) the most common version, but it wasn't distributed via comic shops.  It's probably from Electronics Boutique or somewhere similar, but didn't have a purchase requirement (free for whoever wanted one).  The regular #1 direct edition (not a painted cover) is probably 2nd most common.  The painted #1 variant with the $3.95 cover price is the rarest #1.

shadow01a.jpg

#2 is still popular with the "Good, Bad, and Very Ugly" eyes variant cover.

shadow02a.jpg

Edited by valiantman
added scans

On 4/3/2017 at 1:04 PM, valiantman said:

Valiant is a small company, but lots of the leadership and investors are from the major companies.  

How did that work out for them last time?

Don't get me wrong I loved some of Valiant first time around.

But, they have to try to attract some new readers because some of us
wont touch them anymore after the last time.

9 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

Thread resurrection! I found 50+ Valiant newsstands, and most are pretty high grade. That is all. 

All at once? That's very very impressive. Ive never found more then 3 at a time. And just recently I 
didn't Turok had some I thought for years it didn't get any like EW.