• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

90's VALIANT Comics Thread

289 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:
On 4/3/2017 at 1:04 PM, valiantman said:

Valiant is a small company, but lots of the leadership and investors are from the major companies.  

How did that work out for them last time?

Don't get me wrong I loved some of Valiant first time around.

But, they have to try to attract some new readers because some of us
wont touch them anymore after the last time.

Do you want my answer as of today, or as of two-and-a-half years ago that you quoted me?

10 hours ago, fastballspecial said:
10 hours ago, valiantman said:

Do you want my answer as of today, or as of two-and-a-half years ago that you quoted me?

How about both so I can see if your opinion has changed? :foryou:

Two and a half years ago, I would have said that there's enough proof that Valiant isn't going to get bigger in the comic book industry without something outside of the community to point people to Valiant.  For example, Walking Dead on tv is what made Walking Dead a big deal. When Walking Dead #1 was five years old, before the tv series, they were about $250 a copy for CGC 9.8.  There are lots of new Valiant books that are 5 years old that sell for $250 per copy for CGC 9.8.  It will take something else(where). 

Today, I'd say that there's a chance that Valiant gets bigger as a result of the Bloodshot movie (February 2020, Vin Diesel), but there's also a chance that it is received about as well as the latest Hellboy movie and I don't know that Hellboy has seen an uptick in comic sales since that one.

Having to raise funds outside of the "caring community" means you have people in power (because of their share of the company) who may not care.  That happened to Valiant when they sold to Acclaim.  That may have happened to Valiant again when they sold to DMG.  It's pretty clear that the original "caring community" is basically gone from today's Valiant.  There may still be people at Valiant who care, but I would question whether they have any power (because of their share of the company).  Caring employees are great, but uncaring corporate leadership doesn't fill anyone who cares with confidence.

Edited by valiantman

16 hours ago, valiantman said:

Two and a half years ago, I would have said that there's enough proof that Valiant isn't going to get bigger in the comic book industry without something outside of the community to point people to Valiant.  For example, Walking Dead on tv is what made Walking Dead a big deal. When Walking Dead #1 was five years old, before the tv series, they were about $250 a copy for CGC 9.8.  There are lots of new Valiant books that are 5 years old that sell for $250 per copy for CGC 9.8.  It will take something else(where). 

Today, I'd say that there's a chance that Valiant gets bigger as a result of the Bloodshot movie (February 2020, Vin Diesel), but there's also a chance that it is received about as well as the latest Hellboy movie and I don't know that Hellboy has seen an uptick in comic sales since that one.

Having to raise funds outside of the "caring community" means you have people in power (because of their share of the company) who may not care.  That happened to Valiant when they sold to Acclaim.  That may have happened to Valiant again when they sold to DMG.  It's pretty clear that the original "caring community" is basically gone from today's Valiant.  There may still be people at Valiant who care, but I would question whether they have any power (because of their share of the company).  Caring employees are great, but uncaring corporate leadership doesn't fill anyone who cares with confidence.

I think this is a good take. The difference between Valiant and Hellboy, though, is that Valiant is a full shared superhero universe, like Marvel and DC. I know there are some Hellboy spinoffs, but since Mignola is writing everything I wouldn't say that it's comparable. Valiant stands to gain by pulling in Marvel and DC readers/collectors if a movie is received well (something that, percentage-wise, was more of a challenge for Marvel and DC, since current readers/collectors are already very familiar with Marvel and DC, and movies don't seem to do much to convert non-comic readers into readers). But, Valiant has to have a selection of high-quality new offerings for that to happen. Hopefully there will be solid creative teams on all of the books in the Valiant 2020 initiative.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Hopefully there will be solid creative teams on all of the books in the Valiant 2020 initiative.

I agree, and looking at your avatar:

Harbinger_logo.jpg.e9d42de29ab481c83b3e0

I'm immediately asking myself if you've seen the teaser for Harbinger for 2020?

https://www.cbr.com/valiant-harbinger-series-2020/

image.png.b4664310a5bb876ccca46679aeec4423.png

On 10/31/2019 at 8:51 AM, fastballspecial said:

All at once? That's very very impressive. Ive never found more then 3 at a time. And just recently I 
didn't Turok had some I thought for years it didn't get any like EW.

There are a few Turok's.

I'll get a group photo up when I get back next week. 

There were also over 100 Image Newsstands and 50 or so Archie's. 

They came from a former drug store owner who never put them on the shelf, or the dreaded spinner rack. 

If anyone wants to read any of the potential source material for the Bloodshot movie, Humble Bundle has a really good deal right now. The Lemire run (The Valiant, Bloodshot Reborn and Bloodshot Salvation) is easily worth several times the $15 minimum to get all of those books:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/bloodshot-2020-valiant-books?fbclid=IwAR31yoyACARDd_n3Zvjx6UHrdeK8X_lhHv_5dvi35LdUKMgRgB5y-0ewpKg