• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Event Auction!

794 posts in this topic

Blue? Purple? Blue and Purple?

Price per point?

Do you all read what you write?

I for one don't give a damn.

For heavens' sake! Enjoy the hobby and the books.

I suspect that many of those who get their panties in a wad over label colors don't buy restored books in the first place. They seem overly concerned that someone else might be willing to pay more for restored books than they think they are worth, and that that will somehow cheapen the value of their unrestored books over time.

I buy both blue and restored. Personally I find the different label color fine. Makes it easy to see what is noted as restored and what isn't. At the end of the day it comes down to how much something cost, how it looks and how bad I want it. Like many other hobbies, unrestored original items are worth more than the same item restored. I don't understand why that concept escapes some people. The degree of restoration is taken into account by most people (slightly restored book sells for more than a moderate, etc.). As unrestored prices continue to climb, I think restored books will continue to follow.

Price per point?

I suspect that many of those who get their panties in a wad over label colors don't buy restored books in the first place. They seem overly concerned that someone else might be willing to pay more for restored books than they think they are worth, and that that will somehow cheapen the value of their unrestored books over time.

I buy both blue and restored. Personally I find the different label color fine. Makes it easy to see what is noted as restored and what isn't. At the end of the day it comes down to how much something cost, how it looks and how bad I want it. Like many other hobbies, unrestored original items are worth more than the same item restored. I don't understand why that concept escapes some people. The degree of restoration is taken into account by most people (slightly restored book sells for more than a moderate, etc.). As unrestored prices continue to climb, I think restored books will continue to follow.

+1

Very well said. :applause:

And no one has even attempted to explain or rationalize the logic behind why CBCS, of all the label colours they could have used, chose to parrot what CGC has been doing for 15 years for only original books, and blur restored and unrestored books under one blue label. Sketchy business.

Though I also agree with ciroac, that we should all, at the end of the day, just enjoy the books for what they are.

-J.

Price per point?

(thumbs u

I know if you take a broke, beat down copy of say a first print "Don Quixote" if has value.If you put money into restoring it the book doubles, triples, maybe more in value. Comics haven't went this route as of now because the system looks down on restored books and investors are wary of not holding their current value of an unrestored copy. I could care less if a book has tear seals, ct, or anything that may enhance it's appearance as long as the stories and art stay true to the intended vision of what was originally put out. I will gladly buy a copy of something I know is out of my budget restored because I want to Read it! Their is readers, investors, and a mix of the two and I like to stay a reader because it's just makes me enjoy the hobby without the business side.

And no one has even attempted to explain or rationalize the logic behind why CBCS, of all the label colours they could have used, chose to parrot what CGC has been doing for 15 years for only original books, and blur restored and unrestored books under one blue label. Sketchy business.

-J.

So, on the one hand, CBCS is sketchy for mirroring the label color that collectors are familiar with, but on the other hand, they're also sketchy for differentiating themselves by not using different colored labels for restored books.

I can't escape the feeling that they just can't win with you.

What's sketchy about using a blue label?

Is it sketchy that Pepsi imitated Coke?

Most businesses follow a previously successful model.

Did you know that comics only parrot what coins have previously done?

I think that would only be true for people who are done, or mostly done, building their collections. If my unrestored books drop in value, most of the books on my want list will drop in value too. Works for me.

The purple label has never bothered me. It was part of an elegant label system that included many colors in an effort to codify different kinds of comics for collectors and buyers. I have never thought it was CGCs fault or intention that the market would hammer purple labeled books as they were in the beginning. MOST collectors do not collect restored books. Labeling them differently was and IMO remains a good system.

SInce we all fall into one of 3 categories as collectors:

WIll NOT buy a restored book

Collects restored AND non-restored books

Actively seeks restored books….

I have failed to understand why anyone in any of these groups is bothered by the visually identifiable labels CGC has always used.

Price per point?

So, and stop me if I am wrong, but you are saying buy blue for a better investment? :baiting:

Price per point?

(thumbs u

The purple label has never bothered me. It was part of an elegant label system that included many colors in an effort to codify different kinds of comics for collectors and buyers. I have never thought it was CGCs fault or intention that the market would hammer purple labeled books as they were in the beginning. MOST collectors do not collect restored books. Labeling them differently was and IMO remains a good system.

SInce we all fall into one of 3 categories as collectors:

WIll NOT buy a restored book

Collects restored AND non-restored books

Actively seeks restored books….

I have failed to understand why anyone in any of these groups is bothered by the visually identifiable labels CGC has always used.

Yup. (thumbs u

-J.

What happens if CGC switches the colors for the unrestored and restored labels, putting all unrestored books in purple labels and restored books in blue labels (: Will there be an affect in prices for unrestored books in purple labels? Will restored books in blue labels sell for a lot more?

What happens if CGC switches the colors for the unrestored and restored labels, putting all unrestored books in purple labels and restored books in blue labels (: Will there be an affect in prices for unrestored books in purple labels? Will restored books in blue labels sell for a lot more?

:ohnoez:

I think those opposed to the PLOD have a legitimate argument. Restored books have been lumped together and given the scarlet letter; the very name "Purple Label of Death" is a pretty dramatic demonstration of that. There was surprisingly little variation in realized sales of slight vs. moderate vs. extensive. You basically had PLODS as a group selling for 75-80% of their blue-label counterparts. People didn't see level of resto, they just saw PLOD.

With a single label color for all books, the scarlet letter goes away, and this was demonstrated with last weeks CC auction, where we saw some CBCS restored books selling better than expected with the blue label rather than the PLOD. Of course, if you're against the single label color system, then those results must be because bidders thought they were bidding on unrestored books, or the auction house was doing something "sketchy".

I think we should at least consider the possibility that they achieved a higher hammer price because they weren't lumped into a category entitled Purple Label of Death.

The most unbelievable thing about this discussion? Nobody has mentioned that Richie "that's conservation, not restoration" Muchin was apparently at least a decade ahead of his time. :o

The most easily predicted outcome of CGC's/CBCS's new system? That a certain well-known (and oft-discussed) seller would now be touting books that have been worked on as "100% unrestored". lol

This hobby was a lot more fun in the pre-Overstreet days. :preach:

It's been a long day, I'm tired so please don't rip me a new one but I was just checking this thread out quickly. Did I see mention that the "new" grading company is or will be doing autograph certification? IE: I want to get my say: Jack Kirby autograph authenticated, they will do it and slab it for a fee?

I've been getting books autographed usually in ball point pen inside on the artist's story for years. (I never had to pay for a single one either!) I know they are real because I watched them do it. I've always wondered how I could convince someone that Schomburg or Kane or Barks really signed them. If this is true and affordable this is a real game changer.

Yes, and yes. (thumbs u

:facepalm:

Scarlet labels shame books. Sure, we all like virginity, but there's a big difference between a book with a little experience & a slut.

Alas, PLODs only succeed in striking puritanical fear among collectors. :preach:

-J.

So, on the one hand, CBCS is sketchy for mirroring the label color that collectors are familiar with, but on the other hand, they're also sketchy for differentiating themselves by not using different colored labels for restored books.

I can't escape the feeling that they just can't win with you.

:roflmao:

Maybe CBCS buys CGC instead of the other way around. hm

I think those opposed to the PLOD have a legitimate argument. Restored books have been lumped together and given the scarlet letter; the very name "Purple Label of Death" is a pretty dramatic demonstration of that. There was surprisingly little variation in realized sales of slight vs. moderate vs. extensive. You basically had PLODS as a group selling for 75-80% of their blue-label counterparts. People didn't see level of resto, they just saw PLOD.

With a single label color for all books, the scarlet letter goes away, and this was demonstrated with last weeks CC auction, where we saw some CBCS restored books selling better than expected with the blue label rather than the PLOD. Of course, if you're against the single label color system, then those results must be because bidders thought they were bidding on unrestored books, or the auction house was doing something "sketchy".

I think we should at least consider the possibility that they achieved a higher hammer price because they weren't lumped into a category entitled Purple Label of Death.

Eggs-actly! :headbang:

I could care less if a book has tear seals, ct, or anything that may enhance it's appearance as long as the stories and art stay true to the intended vision of what was originally put out. I will gladly buy a copy of something I know is out of my budget restored because I want to Read it! Their is readers, investors, and a mix of the two and I like to stay a reader because it's just makes me enjoy the hobby without the business side.

A man after my own heart...High Five, bro!

This monkey business about different slabbing companies, different colored labels, investors, etc., I look at as being in another universe.

I personally buy comic books to read 'em, just as I did off the news-stand starting about 1952. Only difference is that now they go into plastic bags with backing boards, and I don't have to hide the lurid ones.

I could care less if a book has tear seals, ct, or anything that may enhance it's appearance as long as the stories and art stay true to the intended vision of what was originally put out. I will gladly buy a copy of something I know is out of my budget restored because I want to Read it! Their is readers, investors, and a mix of the two and I like to stay a reader because it's just makes me enjoy the hobby without the business side.

A man after my own heart...High Five, bro!

This monkey business about different slabbing companies, different colored labels, investors, etc., I look at as being in another universe.

I personally buy comic books to read 'em, just as I did off the news-stand starting about 1952. Only difference is that now they go into plastic bags with backing boards, and I don't have to hide the lurid ones.

There's room for different perspectives in our hobby. Speculators buy books on the margins (GA, SA, BA & modern) for a quick turn around. They're either in the crack-out, bump and resubmit crowd or media mavens tuned into movie & TV franchises. Investors tend to collect with longer goals in mind, but they focus on titles with more growth potential. The one thing speculators and investors have in common is that they keep one eye focused on the markets. High grade collectors may be neither, or both. All are hobbyists, knowledgeable and often passionate about collecting, but most have determined that reading fragile comics aren't as important to them as preservation for future generations to appreciate. Bottom line: If you don't sweat the monkey shines the business side of things will usually be sorted out over time. My 2c (currency adjusted for inflated jibberish typed late at night on my IPad)