• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Event Auction!

794 posts in this topic

And no one has even attempted to explain or rationalize the logic behind why CBCS, of all the label colours they could have used, chose to parrot what CGC has been doing for 15 years for only original books, and blur restored and unrestored books under one blue label. Sketchy business.

-J.

So, on the one hand, CBCS is sketchy for mirroring the label color that collectors are familiar with,

Uh.....yes.

but on the other hand, they're also sketchy for differentiating themselves by not using different colored labels for restored books.

...and yes again.

I fail to see the contradiction in the position. (shrug)

Point being, as I said earlier, they are attempting to cash in on the well-established blue label which signifies "Universal Grade", ie UN-restored books, while pandering to those who want to blur the line with books that are restored by *also* putting them in slabs with blue labels. Doing such is a (only temporary, I would imagine) "victory" for the dealers/sellers who are only using this new service to increase their profit margins, and it is a step backward in restoration disclosure.

That is the real "reason" why certain parties want all slabs "to look the same".

It's all about the dollar, dollar bills.

-J.

And no one has even attempted to explain or rationalize the logic behind why CBCS, of all the label colours they could have used, chose to parrot what CGC has been doing for 15 years for only original books, and blur restored and unrestored books under one blue label. Sketchy business.

-J.

So, on the one hand, CBCS is sketchy for mirroring the label color that collectors are familiar with,

Uh.....yes.

but on the other hand, they're also sketchy for differentiating themselves by not using different colored labels for restored books.

...and yes again.

Point being, as I said earlier, they are attempting to cash in on the well-established blue label which signifies "Universal Grade", ie UN-restored books, while pandering to those who want to blur the line with books that are restored by *also* putting them in slabs with blue labels. Doing such is a (only temporary, I would imagine) "victory" for the dealers/sellers who are only using this new service to increase their profit margins, and it is a step backward in restoration disclosure.

That is the real "reason" why certain parties want all slabs "to look the same".

-J.

Simple. First you complain that CBCS copied CGC. Then you complained that they didn't copy CGC. Whatever they do, you're not happy.

Simple. First you complain that CBCS copied CGC. Then you complained that they didn't copy CGC. Whatever they do, you're not happy.

lol

(thumbs u

I have failed to understand why anyone in any of these groups is bothered by the visually identifiable labels CGC has always used.

I think those opposed to the PLOD have a legitimate argument. Restored books have been lumped together and given the scarlet letter; the very name "Purple Label of Death" is a pretty dramatic demonstration of that. There was surprisingly little variation in realized sales of slight vs. moderate vs. extensive. You basically had PLODS as a group selling for 75-80% of their blue-label counterparts. People didn't see level of resto, they just saw PLOD.

With a single label color for all books, the scarlet letter goes away, and this was demonstrated with last weeks CC auction, where we saw some CBCS restored books selling better than expected with the blue label rather than the PLOD. Of course, if you're against the single label color system, then those results must be because bidders thought they were bidding on unrestored books, or the auction house was doing something "sketchy".

I think we should at least consider the possibility that they achieved a higher hammer price because they weren't lumped into a category entitled Purple Label of Death.

I agree with this 100%.. new people coming into the collecting world are told to stay away from PLOD books. I consider myself a "new" collector and I feel that way. And the chances of me purchasing a CBCS restored book are way higher just because of the labelling. And it's not the resto that I mind it just that a PLOD book looks damn ugly sitting in a collection of blue labels.

And the system should have never been about labels. It's about the book which I think CBCS helps people focus on rather the the label... My 2 cents

I have failed to understand why anyone in any of these groups is bothered by the visually identifiable labels CGC has always used.

I think those opposed to the PLOD have a legitimate argument. Restored books have been lumped together and given the scarlet letter; the very name "Purple Label of Death" is a pretty dramatic demonstration of that. There was surprisingly little variation in realized sales of slight vs. moderate vs. extensive. You basically had PLODS as a group selling for 75-80% of their blue-label counterparts. People didn't see level of resto, they just saw PLOD.

With a single label color for all books, the scarlet letter goes away, and this was demonstrated with last weeks CC auction, where we saw some CBCS restored books selling better than expected with the blue label rather than the PLOD. Of course, if you're against the single label color system, then those results must be because bidders thought they were bidding on unrestored books, or the auction house was doing something "sketchy".

I think we should at least consider the possibility that they achieved a higher hammer price because they weren't lumped into a category entitled Purple Label of Death.

I agree with this 100%.. new people coming into the collecting world are told to stay away from PLOD books. I consider myself a "new" collector and I feel that way. And the chances of me purchasing a CBCS restored book are way higher just because of the labelling. And it's not the resto that I mind it just that a PLOD book looks damn ugly sitting in a collection of blue labels.

And the system should have never been about labels. It's about the book which I think CBCS helps people focus on rather the the label... My 2 cents

Well said. (thumbs u

a PLOD book looks damn ugly sitting in a collection of blue labels.

Hmmfff ! No, it does not. :sumo:

No offence Pete :) remember I said its all about the book and not label but if you were to sell any of your restored tecs and want to maximize monies..get it slabbed by CBCS.. You will attract more people and get more money :)

-J.

Uh.....yes.

...and yes again.

-J.

Your selective reading comprehension is mystifying.

I guess you missed the part(s) where I said that they could have chosen ANY OTHER UNIFORM LABEL COLOUR OTHER THAN BLUE if that was "really" what they wanted to do.

But they DELIBERATELY chose blue, the established colour for "Universal Grade" books, in a blatant attempt to bamboozle the less savvy/vigilant buyer, and for the purpose of increasing the profit margins of the dealers/sellers (and themselves, of course) who want restored books to look like and thus sell for the same amount as un-restored books..kind of like the bad old days.

Get it now ? (thumbs u

-J.

Exactly, there was a lot of criticism in the early days of CGC with the whole different-colored-labels scheme, and most folks were clamoring for a single label color for all books with the details on the label of any restoration/conservation. Dunno why CGC didn't listen to their customers about that, but at least they're moving that way. Steve obviously listened though, and gave the people what they wanted.