• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, kagenish said:

I stop watching everything about this film because I feel I'll be seeing too much of the movie.

I agree.  Too much has been shown already. Hell, they've even revealed that Spider-Man makes a cameo appearance. 

I think I'm experiencing Spider-fatigue. These reboots just keep popping up too close together for me to care. I still haven't washed the bad taste of the last three Spider-Man movies out of my mouth. I may pass on this one, catch it on Netflix.

3 hours ago, quillandtankard said:

Well for that we can all thank Sony for pumping out 5 crappy movies before finally coming to there senses and asking Marvel to bail them out.

True. And while I'm only one person, I'd have to think there are others who feel similarly. I dunno, I see this being a fairly modest hit by Marvel comparisons. I'm sure it'll do great business, but I doubt it'll do Civil War of GotG business. Should be interesting to see.

6 hours ago, quillandtankard said:

Well for that we can all thank Sony for pumping out 5 crappy movies before finally coming to there senses and asking Marvel to bail them out.

Spider-Man 2 is a crappy movie? You better call Kevin Feige, and give him a heads up.

Marvel's Kevin Feige Says Spider-Man 2 Is One Of The Best Superhero Movies Ever

Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige is in agreement with the rest of the world: even though it doesn't play into the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe, he says Spider-Man 2 is one of the best superhero movies ever made.

“Right now, it’s all about producing the new stand-alone Spider-Man movie,” Feige told Superhero Hype when asked about the status of the current Spider-Man plans. “That’s what Sony is focused on. That’s what we’re focused on, and whatever happened before that or after that, sort of remains to be seen, but it’s all about producing the best Spider-Man movie we can, certainly within the Sony Universe.”

Asked about the previous incarnations of the character onscreen and how they might play into Marvel's thinking, Feige responded, “We’re going to have it be its own thing but some of those Spider-Man films… I think Spider-Man 2 is one of the best superhero movies ever, so that’s a lot to live up to.”

On 6/10/2017 at 6:51 AM, Marwood & I said:

Not sure if I'm the first to spot this but it looks very much like Spider-Man Tony Stark is going to be in the new Iron Man Spider-Man film!

Are all the Spider-Man shots in these commercials CGI?  Spider-Man looks a little cartoony, which is why I'm asking.

1 hour ago, rjrjr said:

Are all the Spider-Man shots in these commercials CGI?  Spider-Man looks a little cartoony, which is why I'm asking.

Probably. The eyes are at least. Pains me to say it but I really dont like the look of it all so far. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong. :wishluck:

12 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Spider-Man 2 was the best Spider-Man movie so far.

I agree @rjrjr (hello again). I suspect it's the nearest we'll ever get to the spirit and mood of the early comics. #3 could have been better. I might have said this before, but I thought there was a fantastic 4 (no pun intended) to be made with MJ being killed at the end. Love or loathe her portrayal, to see Kristen bite the bullet in the right fashion, after 4 films, would have packed a real emotional punch. I have the plot and -script in my head. A shame it'll never see the light of day.

11 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Probably. The eyes are at least. Pains me to say it but I really dont like the look of it all so far. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong. :wishluck:

I am with you.  I want to like the movie (I want to like all these superhero movies) but the costume looks really bad in these commercials.  It looks even worse than the CGI Green Lantern costume in that movie.  Hopefully what we get in the movie is better than this and they just used cheap effects for the commercials.

On 6/15/2017 at 4:09 PM, rjrjr said:

I am with you.  I want to like the movie (I want to like all these superhero movies) but the costume looks really bad in these commercials.  It looks even worse than the CGI Green Lantern costume in that movie.  Hopefully what we get in the movie is better than this and they just used cheap effects for the commercials.

I think a few people are underestimating this movie and it will do big box office.

One reason is Iron Man. Iron Man has a huge following, and you add that to Spider-Man and this could be potenially the number one movie at the box office,until Star Wars comes out.

How Sony Learned to Cede Control to Marvel on 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'

spiderman-rothman4r_-_h_2017.jpg

In October 2014, Sony Pictures Entertainment's then co-chairman Amy Pascal was mulling a pitch from Marvel Entertainment CEO Ike Perlmutter: bring on Marvel Studios as a producer for a new series of Spider-Man films — the studio's crown jewel and, at nearly $4 billion, the top-grossing comic book film franchise — that would be full-fledged members of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

How the armies of lawyers for the two corporate behemoths, Disney-owned Marvel and Sony, ever reached an agreement in February 2015 might seem complicated. But Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige says it actually was quite simple. "It really came down to me telling Amy in her office that I think the best thing for this character is: Sony has the rights, that's not changing," Feige recalls. "Have Sony pay for the movie, distribute the movie, market the movie. Just let us make the movie and incorporate him into our universe."

As it would happen, Pascal gave a thumbs-up, just as she was ousted in the aftermath of the November 2014 Sony hack. But as part of her exit package, she became a key player in the franchise, transitioning to producing.

Tom Rothman, her studio successor, is now betting on Spider-Man: Homecoming to launch a fresh slate of Spider-Man-themed movies. Hopes are high for hit-starved Sony. That's in part because both Pascal and Feige pushed back on Perlmutter's original budget of $275 million, which would have eclipsed the costs on all four previous Spider-Man films, including the $258 million for Sam Raimi's third outing in 2007. Perhaps more important, Sony wants Homecoming to be embraced by fans, as was the case with Raimi's trilogy. (So far Homecoming is testing very well, scoring in the low 90s. It is tracking to open as high as $100 million).

Now this is interesting. Like the MCU was feeling out the waters - unauthorized.

Spider-Man's Peter Parker Confirmed To Have Appeared In IRON MAN 2

Peter Parker first appeared in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in Captain America: Civil War, right? Wrong! The iconic Marvel Comics character is now confirmed to have appeared in the live-action world of the Avengers much earlier in the franchise.

In Iron Man 2, the Stark Expo ends up in crisis. Justin Hammer's new machines begin running rampant, prompting Tony Stark to save lives of attendees in his Iron Man suit. One brave young boy stands tall when a Hammertech mech is about to shoot him, raising his hand and using his imagination to blast the mech with the Iron Man gauntlet he is wearing. Luckily, Iron Man swoops in to save him at the same time.

The young boy is Peter Parker -- a fact now confirmed by Spider-Man: Homecoming star Tom Holland. “It is Peter Parker,” Holland said. “I can confirm that, that is Peter Parker."

“I can confirm that as of today," Holland said. "I literally had a conversation with Kevin Feige only 20 minutes ago. Maybe I’ve just done a big, old spoiler, but it’s out there now. It’s cool. I like the idea that Peter Parker has been in the universe since the beginning."

I wonder if Sony will want some royalties? Not that it needs the cash.

:p