• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

Not as big of a milestone as some of the other recent ones, but Homecoming will pass GOTG1's domestic box office by the end of the week.  That will move it up to #6 on all time MCU domestic grosses, and it's already at #5 all time worldwide behind the Avengers movies and Iron Man 3.   

And in other news, Homecoming is Sony's fourth highest grossing film of all time, behind only the first three Spider-Man movies.  

Well done, Spidey. :applause:

-J.

Now at $875M worldwide before any International Box Office updates. Quite impressive.

KLrqf7m.png

It is definitely the International Box Office that shot this film above all others when you look at films from earlier in the year. Though every superhero movie this year has ended up as a massive hit, worldwide.

jeEa1Yf.png

16 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Now at $875M worldwide before any International Box Office updates. Quite impressive.

KLrqf7m.png

It is definitely the International Box Office that shot this film above all others when you look at films from earlier in the year. Though every superhero movie this year has ended up as a massive hit, worldwide.

jeEa1Yf.png

So, after all the debate we find Spider Man: Homecoming passing GotG 2 as the number one biggest box office super hero film of 2017! 

:smile:

11 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

So, after all the debate we find Spider Man: Homecoming passing GotG 2 as the number one biggest box office super hero film of 2017! 

Indeed. We can only guess how much more it would have made if it was any good though :shy:

23 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Indeed. We can only guess how much more it would have made if it was any good though :shy:

Only Beauty and Beast beat it at box office this year. Spider-Man: Homecoming is what it is with 92 rating on Rotten Tomatoes. To come in second just shows Spider-Man still is popular.

@Chuck Gower

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

6 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Only Beauty and Beast beat it at box office this year. Spider-Man: Homecoming is what it is with 92 rating on Rotten Tomatoes. To come in second just shows Spider-Man still is popular.

Don't forget Despicable Me 3. And Wolf Warrior 2 hasn't finished yet. 

43 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yup. International Box Office hit the highest distribution with the bigger success films this year at 62%, where GotG2 and Wonder Woman were much larger successes at the Domestic Box Office.

Spider-Man is still the biggest superhero brand worldwide.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Yup. International Box Office hit the highest distribution with the bigger success films this year at 62%, where GotG2 and Wonder Woman were much larger successes at the Domestic Box Office.

Spider-Man is still the biggest superhero brand worldwide.

I would expect the sequel to do much higher box office next time as this Spidey has built much more goodwill with the audience than the Garfield one. 

11 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

@Chuck Gower

What about Despicable Me 3 and The Fate of the Furious?

4 hours ago, rjrjr said:

What about Despicable Me 3 and The Fate of the Furious?

So other than Beauty and Beast, Despicable Me 3 and The Fate of the Furious it beat all the other movies at the box ofice and was the number one box office super hero movie. This is much better than what some board members thought it was going to do in July and August.

Since any successful Marvel movie nowadays must make a billion dollars-or-bust, I'm concerned.

VuIdQYa.png

:baiting:

Quite impressive. Though 'most profitable 2017 superhero movie' hasn't happened. That still rests with Logan at 6.4X production budget, followed by Wonder Woman at 5.5X production budget.

AXaOVKz.png

image.png

Edited by Bosco685

"Most profitable relative to budget" is a red herring.  At the end of the day what (superhero) movie made the most money?  That movie is Homecoming, and by a healthy margin.  If someone spent  $20M on a film that grossed 200MM that's a 10x multiplier.  That's great.  That's a 180MM profit.  

It looks good as a talking point.  But Sony's 700MM return on its 175MM investment looks a lot better and is a much bigger deal and a whole lot more money.  

Dollars and cents is all that matters at the end of the day.  As my buddy used to always say "You can't deposit multipliers in the bank and buy groceries and gas with it". lol

-J.

13 minutes ago, comic_memories said:

ww.png

Let me guess, Tony Stark made her the suit and it can make the dinner and take the kids to school? :wink:

3 minutes ago, comic_memories said:
4 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Let me guess, Tony Stark made her the suit and it can make the dinner and take the kids to school? :wink:

^^^^

I do love her boots though :bigsmile:

15 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

"Most profitable relative to budget" is a red herring.  At the end of the day what (superhero) movie made the most money?  That movie is Homecoming, and by a healthy margin.  If someone spent  $20M on a film that grossed 200MM that's a 10x multiplier.  That's great.  That's a 180MM profit.  

It looks good as a talking point.  But Sony's 700MM return on its 175MM investment looks a lot better and is a much bigger deal and a whole lot more money.  

Dollars and cents is all that matters at the end of the day.  As my buddy used to always say "You can't deposit multipliers in the bank and buy groceries and gas with it". lol

-J.

Yeah we all know in the end WW beat SpiderMan in actual money that went to the studio. While we are speaking It may have had more actual money go to the studio as well when all is said and done.

Sure Spidey is a profitable film, but the money that went to the studio is not as much as WW and most likely not It either.

5 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Yeah we all know in the end WW beat SpiderMan in actual money that went to the studio. While we are speaking It may have had more actual money go to the studio as well when all is said and done.

Sure Spidey is a profitable film, but the money that went to the studio is not as much as WW and most likely not It either.

Seriously, unless you have access to the studios' books, just stop. 

Homecoming made more money than Wonder Woman did, deal with it.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I'm a pretty big nerd, but the fight over box office totals over the past few pages has exceeded even my capacity for nerdiness.  :insane:

Edited by fantastic_four