• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

I don't know that anyone ever considered Downey washed up. He was always a terrific actor and he's been in regular roles for over 3 decades now.

I don't know that anyone ever considered Downey washed up. He was always a terrific actor and he's been in regular roles for over 3 decades now.

Unfortunately, he was in a downward spiral for a long period of time.

From 1996 through 2001, Downey was arrested numerous times on drug-related charges including cocaine, heroin and marijuana and went several times through drug treatment programs unsuccessfully, explaining in 1999 to a judge: "It's like I've got a shotgun in my mouth with my finger on the trigger, and I like the taste of the gun metal." He explained his relapses by claiming to have been addicted to drugs since the age of eight, due to the fact that his father, also an addict, had been giving them to him.

In April 1996, Downey was arrested for possession of heroin, cocaine and an unloaded .357 Magnum handgun while he was speeding down Sunset Boulevard. A month later, while on parole, he trespassed into a neighbor's home while under the influence of a controlled substance and fell asleep in one of the beds. He was sentenced to three years of probation and required to undergo compulsory drug testing. In 1997, he missed one of the court-ordered drug tests and had to spend six months in the Los Angeles County jail.

By the time he joined on as Iron Man, he had spent a few years rebuilding his career. I think this is where he got really tight with Mel Gibson as he helped him through the tough times. And why RDJ wanted him to join up on a Marvel Studios role.

Robert Downey Jr. Wants Mel Gibson in The Marvel Cinematic Universe

By 2007, he was definitely making a comeback. I liked his performance in ZODIAC as the reporter. But it was IRON MAN that threw him into a massive leading role.

Unfortunately, he was in a downward spiral for a long period of time.

From 1996 through 2001, Downey was arrested numerous times on drug-related charges including cocaine, heroin and marijuana and went several times through drug treatment programs unsuccessfully, explaining in 1999 to a judge: "It's like I've got a shotgun in my mouth with my finger on the trigger, and I like the taste of the gun metal." He explained his relapses by claiming to have been addicted to drugs since the age of eight, due to the fact that his father, also an addict, had been giving them to him.

In April 1996, Downey was arrested for possession of heroin, cocaine and an unloaded .357 Magnum handgun while he was speeding down Sunset Boulevard. A month later, while on parole, he trespassed into a neighbor's home while under the influence of a controlled substance and fell asleep in one of the beds. He was sentenced to three years of probation and required to undergo compulsory drug testing. In 1997, he missed one of the court-ordered drug tests and had to spend six months in the Los Angeles County jail.

By the time he joined on as Iron Man, he had spent a few years rebuilding his career. I think this is where he got really tight with Mel Gibson as he helped him through the tough times. And why RDJ wanted him to join up on a Marvel Studios role.

Robert Downey Jr. Wants Mel Gibson in The Marvel Cinematic Universe

By 2007, he was definitely making a comeback. I liked his performance in ZODIAC as the reporter. But it was IRON MAN that threw him into a massive leading role.

So what you're saying is he had a drug problem which was well publicized. Welcome to Hollywood.

He still made about 10 movies during that time period, some of which were great. I still wouldn't use the term washed up.

So what you're saying is he had a drug problem which was well publicized. Welcome to Hollywood.

He still made about 10 movies during that time period, some of which were great. I still wouldn't use the term washed up.

No. He was on the down-spiral. Even his salary details reflected this for a while because producers were concerned about any risks.

Richard III (1995) $50,000

Danger Zone (1996) $500,000

Game 6 (2005) $100 /day

And then Iron Man came along, and he became one of the hottest properties again.

Iron Man (2008) $500,000

Sherlock Holmes (2009) $9,000,000

Iron Man 2 (2010) $10,000,000

Due Date (2010) $12,000,000

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011) $15,000,000

The Avengers (2012) $50,000,000 (once box-office bonuses and backend compensation are factored in)

Iron Man 3 (2013) $50,000,000

I forgot about this. But RDJ was on Ally McBeal from 2000-2002. He was fired due to bad press over a drug arrest.

The man has really turned his life around, and become more a role model for positive outcomes.

(worship)

No. He was on the down-spiral. Even his salary details reflected this for a while because producers were concerned about any risks.

Game 6 (2005) $100 /day

And then Iron Man came along, and he became one of the hottest properties again.

Iron Man (2008) $500,000

The Avengers (2012) $50,000,000 (once box-office bonuses and backend compensation are factored in)

So your idea of washed up is different than mine. He made a lot of good flicks between 1995 and 2008 and he was already on his way back up before he got the Iron Man role. I'd never considered him 'washed up'.

Game 6 (2005) $100 /day

Iron Man (2008) $500,000

So your idea of washed up is different than mine. He made a lot of good flicks between 1995 and 2008 and he was already on his way back up before he got the Iron Man role. I'd never considered him 'washed up'.

my fave movie of his is still 'two girls and a guy'. go snaptwit it on amazon huflix or whatever you kids do watch movies these days, you won't regret it. no its not THAT KIND of movie.

Edited by Revat

Oh, I know. Differences in perception on where he was career-wise can be a personal view on things.

But where he is now versus then are vastly different. There is no differences on that.

RDJ's career was all but done when he was arrested in someone else's bed in his neighborhood in the USA. He came very close to losing it all.

He didn't and he turned his life around just in time before it all dried up. He's lucky. Not all actors are able to do that.

Think Lindsey Lohan. Charlie Sheen...

Animated Spider-Man Movie Gets A Release Date

The animated Spider-Man film from Phil Lord and Chris Miller now has an official release date of December 21, 2018. The movie was originally announced for the summer of 2018. Lord and Miller will produce and write the animated Spider-Man movie but will most likely pass on directing as their next project is the (still untitled) Han Solo movie.

The live-action Spider-Man movie is set for a July 28, 2017.

I forgot about this. But RDJ was on Ally McBeal from 2000-2002. He was fired due to bad press over a drug arrest.

The man has really turned his life around, and become more a role model for positive outcomes.

(worship)

He did win a Golden Globe in 2001 for his work on Ally McBeal if I remember correctly.

He did win a Golden Globe in 2001 for his work on Ally McBeal if I remember correctly.

And yet the drug situation was so bad, they had to write him off the show.

TV Legends Revealed | Robert Downey Jr. Was Written Out of Own TV Wedding

Talented movie star Robert Downey Jr. spent pretty much all of the late 1990s fighting drug addiction, eventually serving almost a year in prison beginning in 1999. Within a week of his release on probation, Downey signed on to Ally McBeal, presumably in an attempt to rehabilitate his image (as well as to keep the show’s ratings from dropping). He joined the cast for the fourth season, playing Ally’s new boyfriend Larry.

The move was a critical and commercial success, and the show was once more buzz-worthy, garnering headlines just like it did in the first two seasons.

While everything was going well on the show, the same couldn’t be said for Downey’s personal life. He was miserable being “stuck” doing television (he didn’t have a problem with the show or his co-stars, he just hated the 9 to 5 work atmosphere after the much more flexible schedule of film) and his drug use continued. He got caught with drugs again in November 2000, but while awaiting the hearing, he continued acting on Ally McBeal. However, in April 2001, with the filming finished on all but one episode of the season, Downey was arrested once again for drug use, although he wasn’t charged (he was on cocaine at the time, though).

RDJ has come a long ways since those dark and troubling times.

And yet the drug situation was so bad, they had to write him off the show.

TV Legends Revealed | Robert Downey Jr. Was Written Out of Own TV Wedding

Talented movie star Robert Downey Jr. spent pretty much all of the late 1990s fighting drug addiction, eventually serving almost a year in prison beginning in 1999. Within a week of his release on probation, Downey signed on to Ally McBeal, presumably in an attempt to rehabilitate his image (as well as to keep the show’s ratings from dropping). He joined the cast for the fourth season, playing Ally’s new boyfriend Larry.

The move was a critical and commercial success, and the show was once more buzz-worthy, garnering headlines just like it did in the first two seasons.

While everything was going well on the show, the same couldn’t be said for Downey’s personal life. He was miserable being “stuck” doing television (he didn’t have a problem with the show or his co-stars, he just hated the 9 to 5 work atmosphere after the much more flexible schedule of film) and his drug use continued. He got caught with drugs again in November 2000, but while awaiting the hearing, he continued acting on Ally McBeal. However, in April 2001, with the filming finished on all but one episode of the season, Downey was arrested once again for drug use, although he wasn’t charged (he was on cocaine at the time, though).

RDJ has come a long ways since those dark and troubling times.

+1. He has come a long way.

Marvel President Kevin Feige Says Next Spider-Man Movie will be Spectacular

"Smaller scale is relative," Feige said of the film, meaning it won't be an intergalactic adventure, but that doesn't mean the stakes won't be there. "It's going to be as big and spectacular a Spider-Man film as has ever been made," he assured fans.

The use of the word "spectacular" is fun for Spidey fans, who have speculated the film might use that adjective in the title. After all, plain old "Spider-Man" has already been used, as has "Amazing."

"It's a Peter Parker story, and has more opportunity to be focused on the story of a 15 year-old kid going to high school," he said.

Marvel And Sony's SPIDER-MAN To Get An IMAX 3D Release

“IMAX’s long-standing relationship with Marvel and Sony first began with Spider-Man in 2002, establishing the ultimate way for fans to be transported into the world of their favorite characters like Peter Parker,” said Sr. executive v.p. IMAX Corp. and CEO of IMAX Entertainment Greg Foster. "By re-teaming with our friends at Sony and Marvel on the newest Spider-Man reboot, we are excited to deliver audiences what they’re asking for: a must-see cinematic adventure – in IMAX."

That has to be up there with some of the greatest comic book castings ever...Hugh Jackman...Patrick Stewart...Christopher Reeve...I'll even include Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool in this...