• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's threshold for incomplete?

26 posts in this topic

So here's a lovely Top Notch 1 missing 2/3 of the 2nd page, thus incomplete. Wondering at what point does a missing piece become enough to warrant "incomplete"? Half a page?

And yes, there's not much else that could be wrong with this book. But really, all things considered, it presents pretty well.

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

anything missing will be listed as incomplete, depending on how small a piece is, it might not drop down to a .5. The other option is go green label of course. I had a book missing a small coupon like 1x3 off the last non story page and it was still listed as incomplete. Book was nice otherwise I think it may have been a 2.0 or 1.5/1.8.

James G

Thanks for the response. So, it doesn't seem right that anything missing goes directly to incomplete. I've definitely got books with small pieces missing from interior pages that aren't called incomplete. Is incomplete just based on interior pages? I've seen big chunks out of covers and the book not called incomplete.

Not sure if clipped vs torn out makes a difference? Possibly if the story is affected or not? Maybe there isn't a definitive policy on that but I'd be interested to know how big a piece missing in a book that still was called complete and how small a piece missing caused a book to be called incomplete. Just wondering...

Thanks for the response. So, it doesn't seem right that anything missing goes directly to incomplete. I've definitely got books with small pieces missing from interior pages that aren't called incomplete. Is incomplete just based on interior pages? I've seen big chunks out of covers and the book not called incomplete.

Not sure if clipped vs torn out makes a difference? Possibly if the story is affected or not? Maybe there isn't a definitive policy on that but I'd be interested to know how big a piece missing in a book that still was called complete and how small a piece missing caused a book to be called incomplete. Just wondering...

While the grade is obviously effected by any missing pieces, for me incomplete means story pages are missing or damaged to the point of being unreadable. Coverless would also be incomplete, but is in a category of it's own, and sef-evident. While a missing back cover, particularly if it's only ads, would reduce a book to PR/FR for me, I wouldn't think of it as "incomplete", though technically the description is apt, as no one bought comics to read the back cover. Chunks out of interior pages I think more of as qualified, as long as they are basically readable, especially the main story or stories if there are any. I once had a Timely that looked to be a solid 7.0, maybe better, with a big piece missing from a gag page backed with a humor back up story page. I bought and sold it as qualified raw for around the price of a 2.5 copy. It was flawed for sure, but no way could I think of it as "poor".

I once bought a Daredevil 1 with a 4.0 PGX Blue label. I cracked it open and found that a coupon had been clipped from one page. The label had no mention of a clipped coupon. So apparently PGX doesn't think clipped coupons constitute "incomplete".

That was the last PGX I ever bought.

Edited by gadzukes

I once bought a Daredevil 1 with a 4.0 PGX Blue label. I cracked it open and found that a coupon had been clipped from one page. The label had no mention of a clipped coupon. So apparently PGX doesn't think clipped coupons constitute "incomplete".

Not to mention PGX 4.0s rarely look like a 4.0

I would hazard a guess that more than half of a story page missing results in an Incomplete notation. I have books in blue labels with pieces missing that affect the story that don't have the Incomplete notation.

Not to mention PGX 4.0s rarely look like a 4.0

I think that's right. PGX tends to overgrade more in the 4.0 range than near the top of the scale. Here is the result of straight resubs on four lower grade PGX books from a year or so ago:

PGX 4.0 Cream ==> CGC 3.0 CR-OW

PGX 4.0 CR-OW ==> CGC 2.5 OW

PGX 4.0 CR-OW ==> CGC 2.5 OW

PGX 4.0 White ==> CGC 4.0 OW-W

So, three out of four books came back with lower grades.

Sorry for the ancient bump.

I have a golden age book that is missing a corner of an interior page. Maybe 2 inches by 1.5 inches.

One one side it affects a text story, the other side is a cartoon where a bit of art is affected but you can still read the gag.

None of the main stories are affected at all.

The comic is a F+, F/VF.

If I sold it, would I be right in selling it as 6.5 or 7.0, and qualify it with the piece missing and deduct some $$?

("6.5 with an interior page corner missing (w/measurement) that affects a text story").

3 hours ago, circumstances said:

Sorry for the ancient bump.

I have a golden age book that is missing a corner of an interior page. Maybe 2 inches by 1.5 inches.

One one side it affects a text story, the other side is a cartoon where a bit of art is affected but you can still read the gag.

None of the main stories are affected at all.

The comic is a F+, F/VF.

If I sold it, would I be right in selling it as 6.5 or 7.0, and qualify it with the piece missing and deduct some $$?

("6.5 with an interior page corner missing (w/measurement) that affects a text story").

Absolutely. Qualified 6.5 with an interior piece missing, and ideally show a pic of the flaw. I just sold a book like that on ebay.

50 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Absolutely. Qualified 6.5 with an interior piece missing, and ideally show a pic of the flaw. I just sold a book like that on ebay.

Thanks. That's what I figured.

I'm thinking about knocking off about 20%-ish.

Like if it's an $800 book in 6.5, sell it for $625, $650.

I know I’m probably in the minority here. But I like CGC Qualified grades. A beautiful copy with a problem I don’t care much about that saves me a lot of money is a winner for me. Long before CGC, I struggled with grading certain books. I once picked up a nice GA collection in AZ that was full of great 1947-1954 books including a lot of ECs and some key later DCs. Grades were 8.0-9.4 BUT were 3 hole punched. They were so pretty with strong color, structure and white pages. But flawed. I didn’t then and don’t mind now having them. Just had a hard time grading them good or less. Qualified grading has solved that for me. A lot of them can be had for great prices if you can live with the defects. And, in many cases, I can and am happy to buy them. 

16 hours ago, circumstances said:

Thanks. That's what I figured.

I'm thinking about knocking off about 20%-ish.

Like if it's an $800 book in 6.5, sell it for $625, $650.

IMO 20% seems like too low a discount for a "qualified" as you describe, unless the book is tremendously in demand in any grade. But if you're listing it on ebay, doesn't hurt to try. :)

54 minutes ago, Point Five said:

IMO 20% seems like too low a discount for a "qualified" as you describe, unless the book is tremendously in demand in any grade. But if you're listing it on ebay, doesn't hurt to try. :)

Not selling anything in the near future, but all good info.

In my experience, people seem to avoid 'qualifieds' like the plague, seeming to prefer 'restoreds' instead. Just something I've noticed but maybe its just me.

And thinking about it I prefer a PLOD to a GLOD usually. I guess it depends on how primo or sought after the book is.