• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LUKE CAGE on Netflix
2 2

383 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2017 at 3:11 PM, Comicopolis said:

Finally finished Luke Cage at the weekend. I sort of enjoyed it but it is a peculiar show - peculiar in tone, in pacing and at times with the acting. And the incidental music is especially bad - they should have stuck with a jazz/soul/rap soundtrack all the way through instead of having somebody unexpectedly bang on a load of pots and pans at the most inappropriate times.

Plus - like all of the Marvel Netflix shows it is at least 3 episodes too long.

100% in agreement

LUKE CAGE Season 2 Adds Mustafa Shakir As Bushmaster And Gabrielle Dennis As Nighthawk

152225.jpg

Marvel has just officially announced that Mustafa Shakir (The Deuce, The Night Of) and Gabrielle Dennis (Insecure, Rosewood) have joined the cast of Luke Cage season 2, which is set to premiere in 2018.

Shakir will play John McIver, AKA Bushmaster, who is described as "a natural leader, brimming with charisma, whose mission is focused on Harlem and vengeance." Dennis, meanwhile, has been cast as Tilda Johnson, better known by her current Marcel Comics alias, Nighthawk. This incarnation of the character is said to be "a brilliant, holistic doctor with a complicated history in Harlem where, as much as she tries to stay far from trouble, it seems to always find her."

I finally made it through Luke Cage. Was it worth it? I'm still not sure. It was definitely behind DD 1 and 2 and JJ 1.

Now the bigger question is, do I try to get through Iron Fist or just go straight to the Defenders??

12 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

I finally made it through Luke Cage. Was it worth it? I'm still not sure. It was definitely behind DD 1 and 2 and JJ 1.

Now the bigger question is, do I try to get through Iron Fist or just go straight to the Defenders??

Iron Fist is completely unwatchable. by ffffaaaaaarrrrrrr the worst marvel netflix show. by far. and by far, i mean galaxy distance.

23 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

11 hours ago, Hawkman said:

Iron Fist is completely unwatchable. by ffffaaaaaarrrrrrr the worst marvel netflix show. by far. and by far, i mean galaxy distance.

My 2c.  After sitting through all of the prior Marvel titles in one sitting, I actually gave up on IF after about E3. Then a few weeks later, I started to watch it again, and finished in a few nights. I actually felt it did pick up and was not too bad.

And there are several characters in Defenders that are built in IF, so if you crave backstory, I'd suggest completing IF first.  I personally put Defenders just below DD1,2, JJ1, and Luke Cage. I liked it.

Edited by bronze_rules

2 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

My 2c.  After sitting through all of the prior Marvel titles in one sitting, I actually gave up on IF after about E3. Then a few weeks later, I started to watch it again, and finished in a few nights. I actually felt it did pick up and was not too bad.

And there are several characters in Defenders that are built in IF, so if you crave backstory, I'd suggest completing IF first.  I personally put Defenders just below DD1,2, JJ1, and Luke Cage. I liked it.

Are you saying Iron Fist ranks below those other four, or Defenders does?

hm

20 hours ago, bronze_rules said:
21 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

Are you saying Iron Fist ranks below those other four, or Defenders does?

hm

Defenders below 4 others and IF below defenders.:hi:

Man, it sucks that Defenders doesn't rank higher than almost at the bottom. I thought we were building toward something really good, not reaching the point of diminishing returns after Jessica Jones. What happened?!?

2 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

Man, it sucks that Defenders doesn't rank higher than almost at the bottom. I thought we were building toward something really good, not reaching the point of diminishing returns after Jessica Jones. What happened?!?

I think for me personally, the original stories allowed to build up the individual characters and their plights, taking time to develop them. And also their powers and abilities tended to be consistent throughout.

With Defenders, I agree with a lot of other complaints on the board, but I felt also there wasn't a lot of development going on. I didn't really care for, nor hate Sigorney Weaver's character much at all.  Great actress, but terrible role, IMO.

It was like they were just kind of jumbled together, but they had their moments -- not consistent at all.  And one moment, you'd see heroes display incredible powers against non-heroes; like Luke Cage would barely flinch against non heroes, but then somehow in the Defenders, in certain scenes they'd get all beat up or worn down by normal street thugs. Very inconsistent. Whereas, even though Daredevil required suspension of disbelief, I could believe his progression and battles, as there was consistency.

On 8/30/2017 at 4:53 PM, mrwoogieman said:

There really was no need for a Defenders. Seems like it was made to have them all team up. It reminds me of a lot of good Marvel/DC comics that become silly when they put in those yearly boring long crossovers. You know you are reading a good Batman or Spider-Man comic than all of a sudden they are caught up in this alien invasion of earth story because of company cross-over. lol

Hopefully, Marvel will not have a second season of Defenders and focus on more solo seasons of Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Punisher and Cage.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:42 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

There really was no need for a Defenders. Seems like it was made to have them all team up. It reminds me of a lot of good Marvel/DC comics that become silly when they put in those yearly boring long crossovers. You know you are reading a good Batman or Spider-Man comic than all of a sudden they are caught up in this alien invasion of earth story because of company cross-over. lol

Hopefully, Marvel will not have a second season of Defenders and focus on more solo seasons of Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Punisher and Cage.

The interplay between the characters, however was a lot of a fun.   I’d like them to have the various characters pop up in each others’ shows.  Jessica Jones and Matt Murdock were great together.  I’d watch a show of them together... but I’d settle for a 1-2 episode arc inside the next season of DD or JJ... same goes for a IF/LC team up in one of their seasons.  That sort of thing.

I think if they wanted to do Defenders again, they’d need to set it up the way the movie universe has done.  Each of their next four seasons while they could be completely separate... would need to have some “through story”... some secret big bad pulling the strings, or some sort of connective tissue that brings them all together naturally.  Too much of Defenders was wasted on set up.  You can’t do that again IF you’re even going to bother to do it again.  Focus on what worked... which was the character interplay.

P.S. - that Luke Cage trailer looks awesome!

On 8/30/2017 at 10:44 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Agreed.

If you must, watch IF episodes 1 and 8 only.

Save the other hours of your life.

I liked all of the Iron Fist episodes. Some more than others.   Overall I liked it a lot.  I'm looking forward to season 2.