• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LUKE CAGE on Netflix
2 2

383 posts in this topic

What the hell happened to Marvel in all this? This is Hero For Hire?

Now I am only halfway through E1. I will watch E1 to the end. But so far - WTH? I just hope it gets better.

BTW - I stopped DD S2 about 4 eps in. Same with the 1st season of Jessica Jones, which I really wanted to like. Netflix just could not make me care. Which was really sad because I loved the first DD season.

Something is going awry with Netflix, and it is showing up in LC as well. :(

Now I am only halfway through E1. I will watch E1 to the end. But so far - WTH? I just hope it gets better.

BTW - I stopped DD S2 about 4 eps in. Same with the 1st season of Jessica Jones, which I really wanted to like. Netflix just could not make me care. Which was really sad because I loved the first DD season.

I guess for me I don't understand if you enjoyed DD S1 how in god's earth did you not enjoy DD S2. :ohnoez:

Good lord the punisher scenes alone are some of the best in comic book on screen history, especially the prison scenes.

I guess for me I don't understand if you enjoyed DD S1 how in god's earth did you not enjoy DD S2. :ohnoez:

Good lord the punisher scenes alone are some of the best in comic book on screen history, especially the prison scenes.

Because I felt absolutely nothing for the Punisher. I felt much more empathy for Kingpin (Fisk) and D’Onofrio’s performance probably spoiled me. He was relatable. He had empathy. He made that season as much Fisk as it was Murdoch.

Castle was an exercise in machismo with little redeeming quality and pretty wooden acting. He didn't, for me, carry the scenes and I just lost interest. Do you think I wanted to? I really didn't. I wanted to enjoy DD as much as S1 and wanted to enjoy Luke Cage as much as well. I mean, getting SA and BA heroes on Netflix is really something but... :(

The series was held back by weak writing. The soundtrack partially made up for it, but it was my least favorite of the netflix marvel treatments to date. For me, it was worth watching, but I probably wont watch it again, unlike DD season 1 and Jessica Jones.

9 episodes in, and this just keeps getting better. Rosario as Night Nurse is wonderful, and Misty finally stopped frustrating me. Diamondback is a far better villain, even though i thought Cottonmouth was great, but Diamondback really keeps me on the edge of my seat.

NON-SPOILER REVIEW:

Overall, I thought the acting was decent. The fight scenes on the other hand were not so great (especially when compared to Daredevil). My gripes would come into play when looking at the show's individual details. The biggest one is with Luke Cage. I feel as though Mike Colter's portrayal of Luke Cage is bland, mild-mannered, white bread and noticeably well-spoken. His dialogue was written with the aforementioned traits, so it wasn't all Colter's doing. For me, Luke Cage is supposed to be abrasive, out-spoken, temperamental and uneducated. That's the character's appeal; he's a vigilante like Batman with a personality like Dirty Harry. This portrayal of Luke Cage just doesn't hit the spot for me. He didn't say "Honky" or "Jive turkey" once. :cry:

Couldn't agree more with this paragraph. The well spoken, overly articulated dictation that Colter acted with was just all wrong.

I thought the same thing about the Cage portrayal in Jessica Jones, and as a result I wasn't looking forward to this show at all. (shrug) I'll probably still watch a few.

The wife and I are on episode 12, we will finish it to night. I thought it started out a little slow but was still worth watching. It did pick up fast though, by episode 3 I was hooked. We are liking it a lot. We both enjoyed all the Marvel Netflix shows so far, we actually have watched them all twice so far. I look forward to the others coming!

I don't know what some of you are smoking, but I thought it was awesome. It was exactly what I was hoping for. Probably the blackest show I've seen in a while (besides The Get Down, which I also loved & highly recommend if you enjoy black culture, which had an even better score than Luke Cage did) & very well-done. It was the modern take on the 70's Blaxploitation style that I was hoping for.

Now for an interpretation of John Woo Hong Kong Action cinema for Iron Fist & I'll be totally stoked (and be 4-for-4 right in my call for what the styles they'd adopt for each of these series)

And to repeat... the Method Man cameo & the bars he spit on the radio show were sick AF.

I thought it was Marvel's most ambitious Netflix show to date. To me, it played out as an ode to the Marvel comics of the 60s, when the company wasn't afraid to tackle social issues head on.

It was incredibly ambitious. That's a great word for it. It hit on several nice moments too.

It would have been even better if Misty and her boss didn't have the EXACT same conversation a dozen times over several episodes:

"Luke's innocent"

"We've got to bring him in"

"But he didn't do it"

"But we've got to bring him in"

repeated in the station, on the street, outside the club, over the phone, etc. lol

The plot devices and thematic choices meant to drive the story forward were illogical and strange at times, especially for characters who are put forwards as criminal masterminds, but this is a show I wanted to enjoy and I did somewhat. Not as much as DD for sure, but that's a hard act to follow.

I thought it was Marvel's most ambitious Netflix show to date. To me, it played out as an ode to the Marvel comics of the 60s, when the company wasn't afraid to tackle social issues head on.

It was incredibly ambitious. That's a great word for it. It hit on several nice moments too.

It would have been even better if Misty and her boss didn't have the EXACT same conversation a dozen times over several episodes:

"Luke's innocent"

"But he didn't do it"

repeated in the station, on the street, outside the club, over the phone, etc. lol

The plot devices and thematic choices meant to drive the story forward were illogical and strange at times, especially for characters who are put forwards as criminal masterminds, but this is a show I wanted to enjoy and I did somewhat. Not as much as DD for sure, but that's a hard act to follow.

No disagreement here, Chris. Maybe because she had to have the conversation with her captain and then all over again with the inspector? (shrug)

Here's a great list of easter eggs for each episode: Den of Geek's Luke Cage: Complete Easter Eggs & Reference Guide

"Luke's innocent"

"But he didn't do it"

No disagreement here, Chris. Maybe because she had to have the conversation with her captain and then all over again with the inspector? (shrug)

Here's a great list of easter eggs for each episode: Den of Geek's Luke Cage: Complete Easter Eggs & Reference Guide

I really only noticed it with her inspector, when she came on the job, then in the interrogation room, then outside the club, then back in the station, so many times with the same words between the same two people. It really struck me as strange.

"Luke's innocent"

"But he didn't do it"

I really only noticed it with her inspector, when she came on the job, then in the interrogation room, then outside the club, then back in the station, so many times with the same words between the same two people. It really struck me as strange.

But she REALLY believed he was innocent by that fifth conversation! Or just wanted some more coffee. lol

Only 3 episodes in and 2 things really grated on me so far:

I hate how they're handling Scarfe.

"I'm not for hire".... :facepalm:

Other than that I find it alright. I don't enjoy it nearly as much as Daredevil, or even as much as Jessica Jones.

Because I felt absolutely nothing for the Punisher. I felt much more empathy for Kingpin (Fisk) and D’Onofrio’s performance probably spoiled me. He was relatable. He had empathy. He made that season as much Fisk as it was Murdoch.

Castle was an exercise in machismo with little redeeming quality and pretty wooden acting. He didn't, for me, carry the scenes and I just lost interest. Do you think I wanted to? I really didn't. I wanted to enjoy DD as much as S1 and wanted to enjoy Luke Cage as much as well. I mean, getting SA and BA heroes on Netflix is really something but... :(

Gotta agree here. Season 2 was not as good as Season 1 by a longshot, other than the scene in the Pawnshop I think Punisher/Frank Castle was pretty meh

Just finished the Cottonmouth origin episode and I thought that was absolutely brilliant.

One thing about these Netflix shows is the villians, they are scene stealers. Kingpin, Purpleman and now Cottonmouth.

All perfect.

Jim

Gotta agree here. Season 2 was not as good as Season 1 by a longshot, other than the scene in the Pawnshop I think Punisher/Frank Castle was pretty meh

Just finished the Cottonmouth origin episode and I thought that was absolutely brilliant.

One thing about these Netflix shows is the villians, they are scene stealers. Kingpin, Purpleman and now Cottonmouth.

All perfect.

Jim

Before you decide how you feel about Cottonmouth....get a little further down the episode chain.

I found Cottonmouth not intimidating or scary in the least.

I found large blocks of dialogue to be cheesy and forced (and not in a kitschy urban throwback kind of way).

I found numerous scenes to be unnecessary and redundant filler and for the sole purpose of padding out the episode count.

I found the actor playing Like Cage to be underwhelming if not outright miscast.

I found the interplay of the two white cops to be embarrassingly bad.

I found the fight scenes with all of the miscellaneous goons and henchmen to be uninspired, repetitive, pointless and boring (felt the same way about many of the fight scenes in DD season 2 with DD, the Punisher prison fight scene was indeed inspired however ).

I found the first 3 and last four episodes slow, plodding and virtually unwatchable.

I found the final fight scene downright laughable.

Many of the same problems that were present in Jessica Jones. I'm beginning to suspect that these D list and below characters just aren't interesting enough and/or have enough cannon to warrant, carry, or justify having dedicated series.

Marvel /Netflix has indeed lost its way since DD season 1.

4.5/10 (because it is still marginally better than JJ was, though that is saying very little).

-J.

Why would a 1970s character be an ode to the 1960s?