• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LUKE CAGE on Netflix
2 2

383 posts in this topic

I was disappointed in really let down by Season 2.

Spoiler

Heavy focus on the bad guys, which isn't in itself a bad thing but the I thought the bad guys were very weak. We have been there and done that in season 1 with Black Mariah and Bushmaster came on strong but fizzled to not much of a threat very quickly.
Danny Rand was weak (again). Misty Knight's fight scenes were stronger than Iron Fist's. :screwy: I wish they would have focused more on the relationship between Luke and Danny, but instead, much like the Joke Wall on Laugh In, they opened the door and he was there saying stuff and then POOF, he was gone.
I also thought the musical influence, which I loved in the first season, was way overblown this season. Way to much music.

Oh well. 

I'm only up to episode 4, but

Spoiler

I already had guess about Misty's bionic arm in episode 1.

and that's without reading about it elsewhere. It's OK, so far, I actually liked Iron Fist better as a show, but I like the actor who plays Luke much better.

My husband who usually watches all this stuff with me, gave up after 20 minutes.

Overall, I enjoyed season 2, but had the same issues I've had with most of Marvel's Netflix series lately; I wish they would cut the season order by 1-2 episodes and force the writers to tighten up their stories.  Always seems that there are points where they're just treading water before moving on with the story.

Spoiler

Loved the brief Daughters of the Dragon team-up and would love to see more, same goes for the brief Power Man & Iron Fist tease.  Seems like Tilda Johnson/Nightshade was set up for the season 3 villain, but they've also set Luke up to be at odds with all of his allies.  Interesting finish.

I've only just started watching Season 2 but I agree, they should drop to 8 episodes each year instead of 13 every 2 years. All 6 shows at 8 per year would be 48 episodes instead of 72 every 2 & build the characters story lines faster while trimming some of the duller moments.

On 6/29/2018 at 10:54 AM, Rodey said:

I thought it was better than the first season. But really agree that they need to shorten to 8-10 episodes.

I gave it a B rating. It’s not terrible nor is it elite. Shades and Mariah get really annoying and old with each episode. I was really surprised to see ex-NFL RB Thomas Jones in season 2. I think he’s going to be in a few big screen movies down the road. Overall, I still look forward to seeing more episodes of Cage in the future. 

Edited by Primetime

I really enjoyed it, I thought it really thrived on SOME of the complexities of being Black in America (and especially in New York), between diverse heritage and ethnic groups, between history and duty and honor to your tribe, to your city, to your own sense of honor.  Yes it did get bogged down in that some of the time, but I appreciate the attempt, which was ambitious and was definitely something you don't see too often.

My spoiler-free comments:

- I freaking loved bushmaster, and his complexity, but I think they cheated a little bit, as he did most of his cruelest stuff off screen, unlike with the portrayal of Mariah.  They purposefully made him more sympathetic than he should have been.  And I'm a big fan of the Jamaican accent, I'm trying to adopt some of it.  So far, me wife not trilled.

- I appreciate the Shades storyline, but his scenes with Mariah could have been tighter.  Its like they get into overacting contests when they're together.

- I loved the Daughters of the Dragon, but unfortunately it made the Iron Fist episode look worse by comparison. 

- I don't like the use of the music nearly as much as in the first season, and there was a bit too much of it.  But some of it was still cool.

- The ending was a surprise.

If you liked the first one, its worth a watch.

I'm on episode 7 or 8 and enjoying this one. @revat I am really enjoying the music, but Bushmaster's acting is a bit sub-par for me. Having him use what I'm guessing is supposed to be capoeira as a fighting style seemed strange to me, for such a large man. I had a hard time believing those fight scenes. But I still dig the show and will keep watching it and any future seasons for sure.

On 7/9/2018 at 1:55 PM, revat said:

I really enjoyed it, I thought it really thrived on SOME of the complexities of being Black in America (and especially in New York), between diverse heritage and ethnic groups, between history and duty and honor to your tribe, to your city, to your own sense of honor.  Yes it did get bogged down in that some of the time, but I appreciate the attempt, which was ambitious and was definitely something you don't see too often.

My spoiler-free comments:

- I freaking loved bushmaster, and his complexity, but I think they cheated a little bit, as he did most of his cruelest stuff off screen, unlike with the portrayal of Mariah.  They purposefully made him more sympathetic than he should have been.  And I'm a big fan of the Jamaican accent, I'm trying to adopt some of it.  So far, me wife not trilled.

- I appreciate the Shades storyline, but his scenes with Mariah could have been tighter.  Its like they get into overacting contests when they're together.

- I loved the Daughters of the Dragon, but unfortunately it made the Iron Fist episode look worse by comparison. 

- I don't like the use of the music nearly as much as in the first season, and there was a bit too much of it.  But some of it was still cool.

- The ending was a surprise.

If you liked the first one, its worth a watch.

I agree with almost all of this. Bushmaster was, I thought, a great villain. The Shades-Mariah storyline just...well, my wife and I both agreed that it got really weird in a lot of places, and just felt more awkward than anything else. But Shades's overall story arc was very enjoyable. I liked Iron Fist's appearance, I thought he was definitely much better than in his own show. But I agree that the DotD appearance was very good, and made IF's appearance pale a bit. I also said the same thing about the music--it was good, but there was too much focus on it at times.

I kind of thought the Luke-Claire storyline ended up as whatever comes after an afterthought...like, they wanted to get rid of her, and couldn't really come up with any good way to do it.

Ending was great.

I still can't believe you can get a mid grade Hero for Hire 1 for $200 after 3 successful shows and the current Black Panther craze.  It really has not shown any really appreciation which is surprising since most keys have had a big swing recently.

On 6/29/2018 at 9:54 AM, Rodey said:

I thought it was better than the first season. But really agree that they need to shorten to 8-10 episodes.

Not for me I wish the rest of these Netflix super hero shows (Daredevil, Punisher, Iron Fist) were 20 episodes long...heck make it 35..lol  I really like these shows...I can't get enough...Really looking forward to Daredevil 3 and Punisher 2.

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I still can't believe you can get a mid grade Hero for Hire 1 for $200 after 3 successful shows and the current Black Panther craze.  It really has not shown any really appreciation which is surprising since most keys have had a big swing recently.

What surprises me more is the hype for Black Panther(a monarchy that hides/protects it's borders/riches from surrounding countries), while a man trying to clean up an American neighborhood from corruption/violence is somehow passed over except for comics fans. Don't get it. Am I missing something?