• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LUKE CAGE on Netflix
2 2

383 posts in this topic

After seeing how horrible Luke Cage was portrayed in my opinion on Jessica Jones I know have no faith any future productions evolving Mike Randal Colter as Luke Cage.

I would have rather seen Dave Chappelle at Luke Cage:

So interesting how we all can see things so differently since I thought he did a great job as Luke in Jessica Jones.

I agree. I liked Luke Cage on the show. They missed some opportunities with him but his introduction was good

I loved him on Jessica Jones. I think they did a good job introducing him and setting him up for what's next. I'm hoping that means that when his show comes out we won't need to much backstory, since we've already been introduced to where he came from and why he has the mindset he does.

Interesting.

Quentin Tarantino Wanted to make a 'Luke Cage' Movie

"One of the things I wanted to do before Pulp Fiction to some degree or another…one of the outside projects that I considered doing was doing a Luke Cage movie"

"In the case of Luke Cage, it was my comic geek friends that almost talked me out of it, because I thought Larry Fishburne back in the day would’ve been a great Luke Cage, and they were talking about Wesley Snipes. And I could see them both, but it was like ‘I think Fish would be better.’ And they go ‘Yeah…he could work out and everything, but he doesn’t have the bod that Wesley Snipes has, and Luke Cage needs to have the bod.’

"And I literally was so turned off that this would be their starting and ending point, that it literally put it in my head that if I do a comic book movie, it should be an original character. It should be something I create rather than trying to fit in."

That Tarantino quote just proves something I've been talking about for a long time about how Marvel does things:

There's a LOT of Alan Moore-types in Hollywood that don't want any part of any sort of limitations being put on THEIR movie/show/whatever "art" and Marvel is having success from finding people that are willing to work within constraints of something like not being the sole person responsible for casting choices or fitting in with an existing narrative.

Because had his issue not been about making sure that Luke actually looks something like Luke (eg. not fat), then it would have been "but I don't care about what the world that Daredevil lives in looks like. I don't want to be constrained into fitting into that world. I want to create my own world for them" or something else that even slightly limited the story he could have told.

I was a little disappointed with how the writers used Luke Cage in 'Jessica Jones'

I wanted to see him play a larger role than he did; I'm looking forward to this

I think they're just trying to ease into it. Not to mention that developing Luke too much in the JJ show locks him into some traits/characteristics/storylines that they're still not sure of in the ACTUAL Luke Cage show.

Interesting.

"One of the things I wanted to do before Pulp Fiction to some degree or another…one of the outside projects that I considered doing was doing a Luke Cage movie"

"In the case of Luke Cage, it was my comic geek friends that almost talked me out of it, because I thought Larry Fishburne back in the day would’ve been a great Luke Cage, and they were talking about Wesley Snipes. And I could see them both, but it was like ‘I think Fish would be better.’ And they go ‘Yeah…he could work out and everything, but he doesn’t have the bod that Wesley Snipes has, and Luke Cage needs to have the bod.’

"And I literally was so turned off that this would be their starting and ending point, that it literally put it in my head that if I do a comic book movie, it should be an original character. It should be something I create rather than trying to fit in."

that would make it a 1991ish Fishburne... hm

R0aMOfE.jpg

Marvel's 'Luke Cage' Won't Have Heart, It Will Have Soul

Here is what he had to say to about the upcoming series to the LA TImes.

"Luke Cage is going to have soul, it's going to have intensity, it's going to have dark parts to it. I think what's going to make it unique is also the musicality of it. There's going to be a musical taste that you found a little bit in "Jessica." It defines itself through sound that you can feel when you're watching the scenes, whether it's something that's actually a song that they're playing or actually just the pulse of the music that they choose thematically. "Luke Cage" is going to define itself in that way, and it's going to define itself in the locations that we're doing. It's no secret that you're going to find Luke Cage uptown after the ["Jessica Jones"] series is over, so the things that happen to him and Jessica will affect him. And then when you find him months later in Harlem, you'll see him in a different setting. That's going to be a setting that's surrounded with different characters and different light all unto itself."

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they treat some of the blatant blaxploitation of the source material. Which direction will they take it?

I have not watched Jessica Jones. Cage's first issue and origin was imo genuinely compelling, and at the time it represented Marvel trying to be "relevant". His origin is in prison, his antagonists are cruel and sadistic guards. His super powers are the product of a mad scientist's experiment. Cage is the Frankenstein creation of America's prisons and its racism- "out of hell, a hero".

The original context for reading Hero for Hire 1 is the Attica prison uprising in 1971.

Given the continued relevance of race in America I would think a Luke Cage series the perfect opportunity to produce something positively explosive.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they treat some of the blatant blaxploitation of the source material. Which direction will they take it?

I have not watched Jessica Jones. Cage's first issue and origin was imo genuinely compelling, and at the time it represented Marvel trying to be "relevant". His origin is in prison, his antagonists are cruel and sadistic guards. His super powers are the product of a mad scientist's experiment. Cage is the Frankenstein creation of America's prisons and its racism- "out of hell, a hero".

The original context for reading Hero for Hire 1 is the Attica prison uprising in 1971.

Given the continued relevance of race in America I would think a Luke Cage series the perfect opportunity to produce something positively explosive.

Except they won't. They'll probably PC it

Interesting.

that would make it a 1991ish Fishburne... hm

R0aMOfE.jpg

1991ish Fishburne was this guy...

Cowboy307.png

Sorry if this was mentioned, but have we gotten a release date for this? I know it got moved after Daredevil's second season. I'm hoping it is quicker than Jessica Jones.

I apologize. I missed this.

Luke Cage IMDb page

It looks like April 2016 is when it is expected. Which is probably why they are wanting to release Daredevil Season Two early so as not to distract from Luke Cage Season One.

Mike Colter says Netflix’s ‘Luke Cage’ will be soulful, intense, and dark

Q: Will the series explore Luke Cage’s back story of being wrongfully imprisoned?

Mike Colter: There are flashbacks in “Jessica,” and there are flashbacks in “Daredevil” as well, so we should expect to see some flashbacks in “Luke Cage.” Every series has used their flashbacks in a different way to tell a different part of the story.

Q: In the ‘Alias’ comics, Miss Marvel calls Luke Cage a cape chaser. Are we going to see any of that in this new series?

Mike Colter: Well, Luke does get around, but I don’t think it’ll be his primary focus of the series to show Luke and his escapades when it comes to dating. He gets a lot of traction with the women just because he doesn’t try that hard, and that’s a good quality to have. It’s something, either you have it or you don’t, and Luke has it.

Mike Colter Comments On If His Luke Cage Will Put On The Tiara And Yellow Shirt

During an appearance at the Television Critics Association today, Luke Cage star Mike Colter seemed to suggest to ComicBook.com that we'll be seeing his character taking on the iconic yellow shirt and tiara look he sported in his early comic book appearances when his series comes to Netflix.

"You know when you see something and you know they're going to do it and you cant believe its real?" Colter mused when our own Ashley Robinson asked him about the wardrobe choice. "I'll leave it at that."

“Anything that's primarily Luke Cage we want to save for Luke Cage's series,” Colter said previously. “I'm not saying that you're going to see the yellow shirt, but if you're going to see it, it'll be in Luke Cage's series.”