• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Paul" comics club

236 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Robot Man said:

On this copy it looks like something written at the top that I can't read.

Someone wrote "July 8, 1944" at the top of the book. This arrival date would make sense for a Fall 1944 issue.

Upon closer inspection, the "P" looks more like a "B" in the name. (shrug)

Here's a scan of the book prior to grading & encapsulation...

Gay_18a.jpg

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Sure looks like one Lady. There wasn't any other writing on them that I can remember. On this copy it looks like something written at the top that I can't read. The early ones were in pencil probably written by his mom. The later ones were smaller and in ink and not cursive writing. Looked like "Paul". This was probably done in his own hand. 

I never say this or any of the humor books because my friend Jim probably bought them from Joe. To be honest, I was more into the Ace, MLJ, Centaur, Catman, Speed, Nedor Ect. Unreal collection. I bought as many as I could but had to leave a lot. 

Too bad most of the photos are gone due to the new boards. Maybe I can post some back again when I get the chance. I know I have at least a few GGA.

Great eye! It's fascinating how OO collections of GA books are still finding there way into the market 60-70 years after purchase. At some point they will have to dry up, as heirs seek to divest, even if the original purchaser never thought to, but by then the next wave will probably be more long term hold collections of size hitting the market as more who started amassing books in the  60s and 70s decide to cash out or leave them to heirs. 

48 minutes ago, drwente said:

Wanted to add another example to the thread.

Adventure Comics #77 FC CB.jpg

Awsome! Great book! Thanks for reviving this thread. Probably the best collection I’ve ever had the good luck to pick. Hard to believe it’s been six years since these books came to light. Sadly, my friend Joe who discovered this collection passed away about 4 months ago. 

2 hours ago, Jayman said:

I’ve got a “Paul” in my collection! :smile:

01275270-D1BF-4C7E-80FF-FA1106B980C8.jpeg

Nice! Never saw that one when going through the boxes. In fact, I saw very few of the Fawcetts. I got this one and cheap to. It has one of those weird war time "trimmed" interior pages to save paper. We both thought it was incomplete. Found out later it was all there.

commaster44.jpg