• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Studios' WOLVERINE 3 - LOGAN starring Hugh Jackman (2017)
8 8

1,131 posts in this topic

I know someone at work that is now on his fourth visit to the theater to see this movie. Supposedly when he went during the week, the theater was 2/3 full. Not bad for a weekday showing.

Since the X-Franchise spans 17 years, it provides a clear example how the International Box Office has become the dominant force with movie results.

uYWquGO.png

2l5r8uu.png

What a difference a decade or so makes in movie theater distribution worldwide.

By Friday/Saturday, this movie will cross $600MM (6.19X budget). Fox executives must be going nuts now wondering what they have been sitting on for years.

Or not. They may be too busy counting current profits to worry about future profits. But one can hope.

47 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

By Friday/Saturday, this movie will cross $600MM (6.19X budget). Fox executives must be going nuts now wondering what they have been sitting on for years.

Or not. They may be too busy counting current profits to worry about future profits. But one can hope.

This movie and Deadpool basically prove there is a strong market for Comic books movies that are both more original, and different in tone than a big over the top blockbuster. While they may not appeal to quit as large a market, making a movie with a much more reasonable budget, and somewhat lower box office expectations,  can actually lead to higher profit margins.  What you are left with is arguably better for the fan as well as the film company, and may be more sustainable in the long run.

On 4/3/2017 at 8:31 AM, drotto said:

This movie and Deadpool basically prove there is a strong market for Comic books movies that are both more original, and different in tone than a big over the top blockbuster. While they may not appeal to quit as large a market, making a movie with a much more reasonable budget, and somewhat lower box office expectations,  can actually lead to higher profit margins.  What you are left with is arguably better for the fan as well as the film company, and may be more sustainable in the long run.

I have to agree. Churning out the same vein of stories and characters without much uniqueness to keep it fresh for audiences. And what I like about these feisty little productions is they seem to get recognition even from competitor studios and sometimes awards. Bring on more!

With only a Domestic Box Office estimate for this weekend, Logan is now only $9MM away from $600MM worldwide. And that's before it opens at the Japanese box office in June.

GcWg6ol.png

0x5u6Fj.png

Remaining Release Schedule:

- Japan: 1 June 2017

:applause:

It looks like Logan is finally starting to slow down overseas. Though it brought in another $5.7MM from the International Box Office alone. It is only $3.4MM short of $600MM, which by the time Japan comes around it will be far past this target.

jHDwsNh.png

Wi9igkE.png

It looks like some of the International Box Office results from last week had to be adjusted down. But even with that, the Domestic Box Office update brings Logan just $2.7MM away from $600MM worldwide.

d0wxzuA.png

qJ8NAU1.png

FORBES.COM: 'Logan' Is The Fourth-Highest Grossing R-Rated Film Of All Time

Entering its seventh weekend in release, the X-Men series spinoff film Logan is climbing up the ladder of box office charts with another milestone in its sights. Currently the fourth-highest grossing R-rated movie of all time at $598+ million worldwide, Logan is just $13 million away from passing The Passion of the Christ to steal the third-place spot on the list.

I expect a larger decline this weekend in the face of Fate of the Furious, perhaps in the 40+% range, but then another leveling out to somewhere around 30-40% after that. I suspect the overseas declines will be larger than domestic drops, but it'll average out to the figures I predict above. Reaching $611+ million, then, is not impossible but looks difficult.

In the end, though, it doesn't ultimately matter. As an R-rated action movie in the era of PG-13 dominance, Logan has already scored a major victory in the genre and in the X-Men cinematic history. It's going to finish north of $600 million, and it's one of the best-reviewed superhero films and among the most acclaimed X-Men movies. It also helps set up a new approach for the entire franchise going forward, and sends Hugh Jackman off in the finest and most honorable way imaginable.

Someone called out in the comments section he forgot Japan opens June 1st.

I’m assuming it’s actually about to end its run in many markets in the next week or two, and that in the remaining markets where it remains it will still lose a large number of theaters. So the Japan opening will have to account for most of the rest of the box office it takes in after the next week, and I think the R rating will decrease the total revenue from Japan by a bit.

Since the series lately usually takes around $7-$9 million in Japan (they used to take more, but after the first trilogy they started to generally decline in revenue in Japan), I figure Logan will do perhaps $7+/- million there. So I’m guessing 40% drops this weekend domestically, more than 50% drops overseas, and then only another week of release in most existing markets plus loss of lots of screens.

I try to be more conservative in my estimates, too, and to assume that something will “go wrong” or otherwise reduce the chances of making a buck here or there at these later stages of films’ releases. Better to underestimate and be pleasantly surprised by a last-minute rally for a few million more bucks, than assume another record will get broken and come up short and full of disappointment!

Since it is only $823K away from $600MM, it is at least guaranteed to break $607MM by the time Japan finishes up. And that is before any International Box Office updates by end-of-weekend today.

fTxEXid.png

MRyrctG.png

Tough year for fox, they lose Hugh jackman and bill oreilly at their peak

On 4/4/2017 at 1:12 PM, Bosco685 said:

I have to agree. Churning out the same vein of stories and characters without much uniqueness to keep it fresh for audiences. 

This is why GotG and SS did better than expected at the box office for the big two. Both were different from the standard superhero fare fans were used to.

‘Logan’ Director James Mangold Confirms Black-and-White Version Is Coming to Theaters

mFGsYqo.png

Mangold first announced he was working on a black-and-white version of the film back in March, and now that he and his team have put in the effort to regrade and time the entire feature for peak chiaroscuro gorgeousness, the director has taken to his twitter once again to reveal that the black-and-white edition will not only appear on the Blu-ray release, it’s getting a very limited theatrical run on May 16th.

“Suggestion. Hard core B&W loving LOGAN fans should not make any plans on the evening of May 16th,” said the director before clarifying in subsequent tweets that the recolored film will screen in US theaters on that date. Screening locations and ticket details are still to come.

logan-poster-black-and-white.jpg