• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Studios' WOLVERINE 3 - LOGAN starring Hugh Jackman (2017)
8 8

1,131 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gatsby771 said:

The main problem I had with that article is it seemed the author was mostly pissed that it wasn't a straight adaptation of Old Man Logan.

And that Logan himself couldn't be world-weary without having himself caused the Westchester disaster.

As someone who never read Old Man Logan, I wasn't bothered by either of these things. The story worked on its own -- apparently better if you weren't expecting the source material.

It's like misplaced nerd rage if the movie isn't an exact reproduction of the comic book storyline to the screen, even if the story itself as adapted to the screen works better.

And it's one of the reasons I love Iron Man 3 - the Mandarin twist was _brilliant_, even if it caused a legion of comic nerds so much butt-hurt.

I thought Iron Man 3 was absolutely brilliant - little kid Christmas and all, until the final scene, where (IIRC) Gwyneth Paltrow gets turned into an immortal Iron Woman. _That_ was stupid. But the Mandarin? Brilliant.

I agree I liked this film and I really enjoyed Old Man Logan.

Saw this for the second time last night with my nephew and was blown away again. I said earlier that in didn't feel like a superhero movie, maybe because it's a great movie with superheroes in it as opposed to the standard fare. Superhero seems an odd word here as there is such a tragic element to most of the characters.

I don't see Logan as a whiner at all. He seems content to keep doing what he is doing and minding his own business. His reactions stem from others making demands of him, options that are both terrifying and painful to him given his past. Ultimately he sacrifices everything and finds his peace however momentary. It is a beautiful arc over the movie given the context and history of the character.

7 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Saw this for the second time last night with my nephew and was blown away again. I said earlier that in didn't feel like a superhero movie, maybe because it's a great movie with superheroes in it as opposed to the standard fare. Superhero seems an odd word here as there is such a tragic element to most of the characters.

I don't see Logan as a whiner at all. He seems content to keep doing what he is doing and minding his own business. His reactions stem from others making demands of him, options that are both terrifying and painful to him given his past. Ultimately he sacrifices everything and finds his peace however momentary. It is a beautiful arc over the movie given the context and history of the character.

Nicely summarized!

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

6HHu4Ns.png

I just got back from seeing Logan for the second time (first time I've done that for any X-film since X2), and it holds up.

But the real shocker of that headline is Beauty & the Beast hitting a $170 million weekend in March.

a) Take that, BvS

b) Day-um

c) Guess Emma Watson shouldn't feel so bad now about getting replaced in La La Land.

44 minutes ago, Gatsby771 said:

I just got back from seeing Logan for the second time (first time I've done that for any X-film since X2), and it holds up.

But the real shocker of that headline is Beauty & the Beast hitting a $170 million weekend in March.

a) Take that, BvS

b) Day-um

c) Guess Emma Watson shouldn't feel so bad now about getting replaced in La La Land.

Wait!! Wait!!

It made a $170 million on its opening weekend?:ohnoez:

I'm traveling on business in China and decided to see this as the local theater in Dongguan last night.  I had already seen it in the US once before but I actually got more choked up at the end than the first time around.

Also, it's crazy how much of the violence they removed from the Chinese version and how much the CGI violence was toned down.  Deadpool teaser was missing as well which I think everyone probably would have guessed since the movie was banned.  

On 3/23/2017 at 3:50 AM, ghengishahn1 said:

I'm traveling on business in China and decided to see this as the local theater in Dongguan last night.  I had already seen it in the US once before but I actually got more choked up at the end than the first time around.

Also, it's crazy how much of the violence they removed from the Chinese version and how much the CGI violence was toned down.  Deadpool teaser was missing as well which I think everyone probably would have guessed since the movie was banned.  

How do they do English-speaking movies in foreign theaters? Dubbed?  Subs? Keep it English?

Without any International Box Office final estimates for the weekend, Logan has jumped to 5.6X Revenue Ratio passing up both Captain America: Civil War and The Dark Knight. Add to this the Domestic Box Office estimate now reflects it has surpassed the $200MM mark based on this weekend's results.

:o

froYjIb.png

TPpEpdJ.png

Way to go, Fox-Marvel!

It's alright. They should have gone this route with Wolvie from the get go. I bet those Xmen movies would have pulled a LOT more in the box office.

I don't get the New Mutants angle, but I am a child of  the 90's so it probably wasn't for me. This has to be one of Patrick Stewart's better performances. It's a good movie, but not a great movie.

As an addendum, I DO NOT like how Deadpool is tying into this. Seriously, knock it off. It's childish and stupid direction. Not sure who is responsible and if there is butthurt over not having a Wolvie cameo in Deadpool 2.

I am stunned by the international box office on this film. Does that just show the growth in movies in general overseas or is it the movie itself?

Its a great film I will watch again when it comes to tape. It wasn't perfect, but I think Jackman and Stewart got it as close as anyone else has so far. I think I will miss Stewart more then Jackman because he can always come back as Old Man Logan for the next 30 years if he decides too.

Edited by fastballspecial

13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I am stunned by the international box office on this film. Does that just show the growth in movies in general overseas or is it the movie itself?

Its a great film I will watch again when it comes to tape. It wasn't perfect, but I think Jackman and Stewart got it as close as anyone else has so far. I think I will miss Stewart more then Jackman because he can always come back as Old Man Logan for the next 30 years if he decides too.

I'd attribute that to the growth of the international box office itself.

Looking at the chart, you'll see that prior to 7-8 years ago box office for action movies could be counted on for ~50% of the overall total.

The market is far far larger now, and international receipts are now expected to account for 65-70%  of the worldwide total for action movies.

Deadpool's an anomaly on the chart largely because it wasn't released in China.

And two recent anomalies in the other direction were Terminator: Genisys and Warcraft.

Genysis was the first U.S. film to surpass $400 million worldwide clearing less than $100 million domestically (international = nearly 80% of its take)

And for Warcraft the disparity was even wider, as it failed to clear even $50 million in the U.S. while surpassing $400 million worldwide (international = nearly 90% of its take).

A good benchmark for the natural growth in international box office can be seen in the Transformers films.

Tranformers (2007) had international account for 55% of its global receipts.

Transformers 4 (Age of Extinction) (2014) had international account for 78% of its global receipts.