• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What buy did you give someone else that you now wish you'd never done?

47 posts in this topic

A few years ago I gave a "friend" a sealed original 1963 Ed "Big Daddy" Roth Rat Fink model. He wasn't a collector but always mentioned having one as a kid. So on his birthday, I wrapped it up real nice and gave it to him. He was thrilled. I never mentioned the value of it to him. A few months later he sold it for nothing to buy drugs.We aren't friends anymore.

As far as selling stuff you regret, many years ago I was on a high grade binge. I sold off a lot of classic GA books because they were "below fine". I regretted it almost immediately and have been trying to replace them ever since. Many, I will probably never have again because of the prices they bring now.

No big regrets on my part, but I bet my friend from high school regrets trading his IH 181 for my Dark Knight Returns #1 1st print and a few other books back in the late 80's. I think he bought the IH 181 for about $35 from our LCS back then. Dark Knight Returns was yoooge and worth about the same. Funny how things change! I got the IH 181 graded not long ago and it came back 8.0, didn't even press it.

A few years ago someone bartered back and forth on his "grail" book. Since I felt confident he was going to keep it I gave him a discounted price on it. A few weeks after selling it I noticed a similar copy for sale on Bob Storms site. Wondering how Bob got ahold of it I PM'd the buyer. After telling me that his wife had a fit for him purchasing the book he said he was forced to sell it. I told him "No problem", I'll buy it back so no harm, no foul. All of a sudden that was not a good idea and to make a long story short...I never got the book back. Needless to say he is on not only my list, but that of many others.

I have let go of Hulk #1, Showcase #4, and Amazing Fantasy #15 recently (-ish) and I'm still OK with it.

I had my beat copy of Tales To Astonish #27 all but sold to a LCS. It was in their posession, they were getting nibbles...and then their loan went poof. I was surprized how happy I was to have that one back!

A few years ago I gave a "friend" a sealed original 1963 Ed "Big Daddy" Roth Rat Fink model. He wasn't a collector but always mentioned having one as a kid. So on his birthday, I wrapped it up real nice and gave it to him. He was thrilled. I never mentioned the value of it to him. A few months later he sold it for nothing to buy drugs.We aren't friends anymore.

As far as selling stuff you regret, many years ago I was on a high grade binge. I sold off a lot of classic GA books because they were "below fine". I regretted it almost immediately and have been trying to replace them ever since. Many, I will probably never have again because of the prices they bring now.

I bet we've all had those regrets at some point. One thing that I've learned is that there is no such thing as certainty. On several occasions I've been certain that selling was the right thing to do. And then the next day the certainty of the mistake slaps you unforgivingly around the face. So my rule is now, if you don't need to sell it to survive, don't sell it. Unfortunately, I didn't set that rule until I'd pretty much sold everything. Damn you mid life crisis!

Not a comic, but I sold my magic the gathering collection in the early 2000's, which included a NM Alpha Black Lotus. I got about 10% of current market of that one card for the whole collection. It hurts to think about what else was in there.

Hulk 181 raw probably 8.5. Didn't sell it, but my older brother stole and pawned it chasing the dragon. :(

I regret selling my whole collection (copper and bronze Spidey's mostly, nothing amazing) about a year ago. It had been sitting at my parents house taking up space and I thought I didn't have the bug anymore. Sold to an LCS in San Antonio for a fraction of what I could have got if I had taken the time to list on eBay.

Ironically it's what got me back into collecting. Go figure.

A few years ago someone bartered back and forth on his "grail" book. Since I felt confident he was going to keep it I gave him a discounted price on it. A few weeks after selling it I noticed a similar copy for sale on Bob Storms site. Wondering how Bob got ahold of it I PM'd the buyer. After telling me that his wife had a fit for him purchasing the book he said he was forced to sell it. I told him "No problem", I'll buy it back so no harm, no foul. All of a sudden that was not a good idea and to make a long story short...I never got the book back. Needless to say he is on not only my list, but that of many others.

Didn't you post about this in real time? Too bad someone took advantage of your generosity like that.

Well mine was purely sentimental. I had a near entire cast signed BA Star Wars #1 CGC 9.8 6X SS. It was only missing Han Solo (Harrison Ford) At that point in time it seemed impossible ever adding him a reality.

Mind you, this book was structurally incredible. All the underlying pages lined up perfectly with the front and back covers. It was so solid as a board book. You could have cracked this thing out 5 more times to add sigs.

I end up selling it for like $1100 because I needed to raise cash and figured I could always buy it back down the road from a dealer here on the boards who always had SW1 SS slabs sitting around. Well fast forward less than 3 months and the news breaks Disney is buying out Lucas and a whole bunch of Star Wars movies will be in the pipeline. Only a few of the 5X or 6X 9.8 SS slabs ever emerged for sale but sold for nearly 5X times what I got for mine.

But the real kicker...... Harrison Ford has a change of heart and ends up doing some limited signings. So reality is I could have added him to that book as well and probably had one if not the only full cast 7X SS 9.8 slab.

Been buying for my collection since the mid-70s when I was 12, and been speculating for fun and (hopefully) profit since a few years later when I realized there might be some profit too if I was savvy or lucky. Since then I sold some stuff when I needed money, and bought more than I 'needed' when I was flush, to kind of diversify my 'portfolio.' So I absolutely should have examples to recriminate over, but I got nothing so I must have repressed them.

Wives everywhere get blamed for stuff.

I sold my New Mutants 98 9.8 Newsstand at peak prices, but I misjudged wildly on my Batman Adventures 12 9.8, which has just about doubled in price since I sold it.

The big one was my Walking Dead 1 9.8. Let it go for about $700. I think this was right after the first season of the show, or maybe during the first season. At the time it was a very, very strong price, and many multiples of what I'd paid, but looking at the price now, it still stings.

Been collecting since Jan 2015. I have only sold one book. Invincible Iron Man #9 (First Full RiRi). I bought 10 copies which came to around $40. I sold 2 copies on ebay for $20 buy it now for each copy. Bought 10, sold 2, got 8 for free. I have no regrets.

I sold my New Mutants 98 9.8 Newsstand at peak prices, but I misjudged wildly on my Batman Adventures 12 9.8, which has just about doubled in price since I sold it.

The big one was my Walking Dead 1 9.8. Let it go for about $700. I think this was right after the first season of the show, or maybe during the first season. At the time it was a very, very strong price, and many multiples of what I'd paid, but looking at the price now, it still stings.

I remember the day WD came out. Being a horror fan, I picked it up and thumbed through it and put it back because I thought it stunk...

doh! Just realized the thread was about GIVING something to someone, not selling. Ugh. Well, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

As far as stuff I've given away, there's not much I'd regret. I let my niece have my old Legos, which have some value, but she loves playing with them so much, i don't mind a bit.

I remember the day WD came out. Being a horror fan, I picked it up and thumbed through it and put it back because I thought it stunk...

:grin:

A LCS friend with impeccable taste put Walking Dead #1 in my hands when it came out. I passed; wasn't my style. He again urged me to buy it the next week, and every other week for a couple of months. He MADE me read them in trade form. Good, I said, but still not for me.

He had saved a copy for me for the first 4 months. He finally sold them to someone else.

My virginity.... She was so rough... And the teeth...OH THE TEETH!!!!!

....also I sold a Harley Quinn #1 Hughes variant 9.8 SS x 3... And I missed it so much I bought a blue label 9.6. :(

Went to a boardie so she got a good home.

which, the former or the latter?

Didn't you post about this in real time? Too bad someone took advantage of your generosity like that.

Well mine was purely sentimental. I had a near entire cast signed BA Star Wars #1 CGC 9.8 6X SS. It was only missing Han Solo (Harrison Ford) At that point in time it seemed impossible ever adding him a reality.

Mind you, this book was structurally incredible. All the underlying pages lined up perfectly with the front and back covers. It was so solid as a board book. You could have cracked this thing out 5 more times to add sigs.

I end up selling it for like $1100 because I needed to raise cash and figured I could always buy it back down the road from a dealer here on the boards who always had SW1 SS slabs sitting around. Well fast forward less than 3 months and the news breaks Disney is buying out Lucas and a whole bunch of Star Wars movies will be in the pipeline. Only a few of the 5X or 6X 9.8 SS slabs ever emerged for sale but sold for nearly 5X times what I got for mine.

But the real kicker...... Harrison Ford has a change of heart and ends up doing some limited signings. So reality is I could have added him to that book as well and probably had one if not the only full cast 7X SS 9.8 slab.

I did.