• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So this is why you guys like Artist's Editions!

77 posts in this topic

and I'll echo several of the comments here. My favorite AE are:

Kirby Thor

the Romita Sr Spidey books

The Star Wars Artifacts Edition ...

as Silver Age (and early Bronze Age) OA keeps getting further and further from what I can afford to pay, these books are a great way to get an up-close look at those original pages. IDW does a great job with them.

Mike

I have something like 8-10 of these and have not yet read them all but the Dave Stevens' Rocketeer is my favorite so far. Revelatory! 

19 hours ago, fsumavila said:

what condition is it in and what are you asking??

That post is over two years old. :gossip:

Anyway, since the thread was raised from the dead, here's my two cents.

I started with the Dave Stevens' Rocketeer, and it is still my favorite.

I also have and adore

Simonson's Thor

Kirby's New Gods

Kirby's Kamandi

Hellboy in Hell

PS: Almost forgot DD Born Again! Got it for X-mas last year!

And there are some non-IDW books working in the same vein, that I have enjoyed:

For Simonson fans, you can't pass up "Alien: The Illustrated Story" (signed edition by Titan) and Dark Horse's "Robocop vs Terminator". 

I also really like the Graphitti DC books, especially the Kelley Jones stuff.

Edited by F For Fake

My personal favorite Artists Editions for reading are:

1) Mazzuchelli DD Born Again-- gritty and dramatic in black and white

2) Byrne FF (Doctor Doom)-- amazing to see panel details and a captivating story. 

3) Miller Dark Knight Returns-- an opus worth enjoying page to page in twice up glory

4) Kirby Thor-- great selection of stories and jaw dropping cover/splash gallery

Dino

Paramagic they can be expensive however can you imagine  how much it would cost to own one page never mind a whole book devoted to an artist. I figure that on their release that they work out to be  $1.50 a page now that's value for money, well that works for my reasoning but then I'm a NUT.     

Edited by tv horror

i'm agree with that, buying some pages is out of range for most people, i 've bought all the EC and love all of them, Wood and Ingels are for me the best ones.

i pick up last week end the crandall AE and reading stories at this size is really really fun ;)

i've bought the Born again , the Romita's Spidey and Kirby Thor and FF 

I'm waiting for the large art  Kirby's FF in July which collect some great stories 

i think quality on this books worth the money , and here in France is far more expensive than in the USA 

I just received today the Kirby FF AE.  It is fantastic, some of the best Kirby Sinnott work. Some amazing Inhumans and Doom splashes in there.  I have eight or nine AEs and I love them all.  The only one I found editorially a bit weak is the Marvel covers.  Great covers of course but  not much logic in the assembly.

Look forward to the Kirby FF large art.

Carlo 

Hi all!  I just got Gene Colan's Tomb of Dracula Artist's Edition in the mail.  The book is beautiful, and I'm not just saying that because it includes the complete Tomb of Dracula #48 that currently resides in my collection.  The Colan/Palmer art is lovely throughout.  I highly recommend this book.  If you want to see a nice preview of the book, check out the link below.  Best regards, Lee

https://13thdimension.com/13-great-pages-inside-gene-colans-tomb-of-dracula-artists-edition/

Speaking of these editions - does anyone have contact info for Scott Dunbier?  

I spoke to him at SDCC two years ago, and I have some art for an edition he said he was planning (that I would LOVE to see happen just to see all of a certain book collected!), but I've tried contacting him though IDW and his account here, and no responce from either...  

Thanks!

Edited by Flambit

2 minutes ago, Flambit said:

Speaking of these editions - does anyone have contact info for Scott Dunbier?  

I spoke to him at SDCC two years ago, and I have some art for an edition he said he was planning (that I would LOVE to see happen just to see all of a certain book collected!), but I've tried contacting him though IDW and his account here, and no responce from either...  

Thanks!

He's on Facebook and is fairly active.

9 hours ago, Lee B. said:

Hi all!  I just got Gene Colan's Tomb of Dracula Artist's Edition in the mail.  The book is beautiful, and I'm not just saying that because it includes the complete Tomb of Dracula #48 that currently resides in my collection.  The Colan/Palmer art is lovely throughout.  I highly recommend this book.  If you want to see a nice preview of the book, check out the link below.  Best regards, Lee

https://13thdimension.com/13-great-pages-inside-gene-colans-tomb-of-dracula-artists-edition/

Just got it yesterday as well - it's fantastic!  Scott & IDW did a great job, as usual. 

Congrats on the #48 story, Lee - that's a great one!

I'm partial to the #25 story (1st Hannibal King), as issues #24 and #25 were two of the first issues from the series that I ever read (as back issues; I wasn't old enough to be reading them when they came out!)  ToD is one of my top 10 favorite titles ever; if anyone is looking for an older series to check out, you could do a lot worse than reading it from start to finish.  And this is one of the better Artist Editions, IMO, with six complete stories and lots of great extras - go check it out!!

15 hours ago, Lee B. said:

just bought it today! Your story is maybe the most beautiful!